Converted Saiga 7.69x39 or Century WASR?

I've got a Saiga in every caliber except 7.62x39.

However, I see that the prices have come down considerably on things all across the board in the gun world.

I am considering, rather than getting a Saiga in 7.62x39 and conerting it, instead get a Century WASR that is already in the proper configuration. The advantage is that it has all the AK qualities that some would spend extra on a Saiga conversion (ie handguard retainers and AK gas tube). Of course the obvious advantage is that I don't have to hassle with getting it converted like I would with the Saiga.

What do you think? Is there a difference in quality, as in functionality, of the WASR vs. the Saiga?

Please give me your opinion?

I've got a Saiga in every caliber except 7.62x39.

However, I see that the prices have come down considerably on things all across the board in the gun world.

I am considering, rather than getting a Saiga in 7.62x39 and conerting it, instead get a Century WASR that is already in the proper configuration. The advantage is that it has all the AK qualities that some would spend extra on a Saiga conversion (ie handguard retainers and AK gas tube). Of course the obvious advantage is that I don't have to hassle with getting it converted like I would with the Saiga.

What do you think? Is there a difference in quality, as in functionality, of the WASR vs. the Saiga?

Please give me your opinion?

I've been close to getting a wasr as well. Impact guns had them for $299 for a very short time.

To me prior to the rush, Saigas could be had for $200 or $160 if you got lucky with centerfire systems. Prior to the rush WASRs were still $300 or more.

During the rush WASRs jumped to 600 to 700. Saigas jumped to 400. Now that WASRs have gone back to their pre-panic price levels I'd like to see Saigas do the same.

Saiga quality is much higher than century.

You mean Izhmash quality is much higher than Cugir right? All that century does is open the mag-well on certain units and add a tapco g2 and magazine for 922 compliance. Most newer members don't know that Century does not build the WASR series. They are made in Romania.

:rolleyes:

As to the OP question: Saiga, hands down. :super:

• Like 3

The WASR I saw up in Warminster was a good finish, BUT the butt-stock fit was 'gapped' abit with the rear of the receiver/trunnion. But $389 was a decent price to just buy-and-go deal.. Had the donkey-grip forearm up front on it that to me was NEGATIVE..

I'm doing a Saiga I think in 223 or 5.45 next.. Still deciding...

For the STOCK Saiga price $329, and conversion parts ($100-130), it will be within $90 of that $389 price and be made by ME..027.gif

Again still up in the air, and as you pointed out WASR's are AK ready (hg retainer and such) per se'.

Even though I got yugo M70AB2 folder for a present, I know I will eventually replace my Saiga. I will probably go 223 to take it easy on my shoulder and be able to reload for it. If it weren't for the fact that a swipe of the pen could end 5.45 ammo importation into the country and it is not reloadable, I would do 5.45 instead of 223. Actually, with a glut of Galil mags on the market again, .223 with Galil mags, SAW grip, and a Galil (Saiga) handguard have charm. My first Saiga was a 223 until I got the 7.62x39 bug up my b%tt!

This was my first Saiga:

Saiga1.jpg

I've been close to getting a wasr as well. Impact guns had them for $299 for a very short time.

To me prior to the rush, Saigas could be had for $200 or $160 if you got lucky with centerfire systems. Prior to the rush WASRs were still $300 or more.

During the rush WASRs jumped to 600 to 700. Saigas jumped to 400. Now that WASRs have gone back to their pre-panic price levels I'd like to see Saigas do the same.

First of all it should be established that there are WASRs, and then there are GP WASR 10/63s. The early WASR models were built from parts that had been rejected for military use and these rifles unfortunately inspired the acronym: "W.hat A. S.hitty R.ifle". Many of these had badly canted sights, very loose magwells, and other problems.

More recent models have been designated as "GP WASR 10/63"s. These have been built from surplus Romanian military parts and are of distinctly higher quality. Although their finish is rough, they are generally built quite well, with far fewer of the QC problems that plague the early WASRs. I owned a GP WASR 10/63 built with matching Romanian military parts stamped 1964. Definitely vintage. :D That rifle was a damn tack-driver right out of the box. Although a bit rough around the edges, (like any Romanian rifle), the parts were made right and assembled right, which is what counts. I sold it early last year for $850 cash. That was the offer made, and I accepted it. ;)

I still occasionally go shooting with the guy who bought it. Even alongside my brand new, (09 production), SGL21, that GP WASR is extremely competitive. I think my rifle has a slight edge in accuracy, but it's so close it might be my own wishful thinking. :D

So, in my experience, GP WASRs are (generally) solid and accurate rifles, and an option something worth considering if you don't want to spend the money and effort that it takes to convert restore a Saiga rifle to a more military configuration.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • 1 month later...

Saiga quality is much higher than century.

You mean Izhmash quality is much higher than Cugir right? All that century does is open the mag-well on certain units and add a tapco g2 and magazine for 922 compliance. Most newer members don't know that Century does not build the WASR series. They are made in Romania.

:rolleyes:

As to the OP question: Saiga, hands down. :super:

Aren't most of the Wasr's cold war de-milled AK's built on a new semi receiver?

I bought my Saiga mostly for two reasons.

It was the only way to get a brand new AK other than spending 1k on an Arsenal.

It was the only way to get a brand new Russian AK other than spending 1k+ on an Arsenal Saiga.

If you're not willing to put in the effort to convert a Saiga, a Wasr will probably work for you just fine.

If I lived in Kali, I would either keep the Saiga in factory configuration, or convert just the trigger group (lets face it, the factory Saiga trigger SUCKS DICK!) and use one of those long Norinco Hunter triggers.

Edited by JBski