Saiga 7.62x39 produced Dec 2008 fresh out the box

sweet camera work, some nice close ups. That was a great idea with the hotglue and nut, I shoulda tryed that. Got my hole a little off but it still bolted down fine.

What did you make that bullet guide out of?

Thanks.

The bullet guide is made from a piece of a saiga choke wrench handle. It's very excellent steel. I think its literally the same steel used on the receiver and trunnion. Drilling through it was just as tough as drilling through the trunnion.

Edited by my762buzz
  • Like 1

I found some thing unusual. Retainer side notches.

So you can use a standard AK press-on handguard retainer? That would be very convenient for those of use who want to use traditional handguards,

At the very least, one more notch needs to be cut out on the top for the retainer lock pin.

• Like 1

So you can use a standard AK press-on handguard retainer? That would be very convenient for those of use who want to use traditional handguards,

At the very least, one more notch needs to be cut out on the top for the retainer lock pin.

Very helpful info in this thread, thanks!

That answers my 'chamber-step question'. I definately don't have that on mine. 027.gif

You've got awesome photo skills IMHO.. My muzzle looks like yours though so I am leary of dremeling my shroud off the front and having a 'let-down' even though I have ALL the other 'thread-potential' features..

what you did to fit in the ak regular mags? and also are you able to use the stock saiga mags also? thanks

I filed less than 1mm of steel off the top of the mag latch. The latch is the steel piece that pivots on a rivot pin.

I circled the surface to file red. To allow the factory mag to fit the bullet guide on the opposite side the factory magazine was also filed and I may put a picture for that part up later today.

25honr9.jpg

thank you very much for the info, i really appreciate it. if you have some time it would be great to see the area to file on the stock mag

Your welcome

1hcj01.jpg

File down the top of the magazine latch that releases the magazine

only a little bit at a time until a military surplus magazine locks in. Do not

use a promag or any other commercial magazine to judge the minimum

clearance only a military surplus magazine. Less than a millimeter of material

will have to be removed.

v5zeo2.jpg

Edited by my762buzz
  • Like 1

thank you very much for the info, i really appreciate it. if you have some time it would be great to see the area to file on the stock mag

Your welcome

1hcj01.jpg

will have to be removed.

v5zeo2.jpg

thank you very very much for the useful pics its really great. im actually going to sticky this thread. i know that after the modification the bullet guide is needed but can i grind the magazine catch so i can fit the military mag on my stock saiga rifle unconverted? and also be able to use the stock saiga magazine? thank you

Im a new member here. I bought my Saiga about a year ago, and have been chicken to do the conversion myself, but after seeing this thread it makes me think I could do it. You did an excellent job. At the risk of being pushy, could you go into more detail on the modifications to the receiver to mover the trigger group forward and set up for traditional AK stock, pg? It would be greatly appreciated. At the rate your going, you should write a book, It'd sell! :dollar:

Im a new member here. I bought my Saiga about a year ago, and have been chicken to do the conversion myself, but after seeing this thread it makes me think I could do it. You did an excellent job. At the risk of being pushy, could you go into more detail on the modifications to the receiver to mover the trigger group forward and set up for traditional AK stock, pg? It would be greatly appreciated. At the rate your going, you should write a book, It'd sell! :dollar:

There are 6 spots to drill: the two linkage pins on the side toward the back, the three rivots on the bottom that hold the removable plate, and one hole into the trunnion.

Once those spots are drilled out, the linkage pins can be removed, the plate can be removed, and the trunnion hole can be tapped. After that, the factory trigger in the rear

can be removed and discarded, the linkage parts including the factory modified sear and disconnector can be removed, the factory hammer will continue to work in the same place it starts out in but counts against the foreign parts count, and finally a bullet guide needs to be fit into place. What your basically doing is removing all the small internal mechanical parts and

along with the bottom plate and once they are removed you can install a new 3 piece trigger set: a hammer, disconnector, and trigger which fit perfectly into place at that point.

A pistol grip bushing is placed into the factory square opening behind the installed trigger parts. You can attach a new pistol grip with a pistol grip bolt that screws into the bottom

of the bushing. The only stock I know fits correctly is the kvar usa made or any ak74 (not a 47 or akm). That is about it.

• Like 1

Your welcome

1hcj01.jpg

will have to be removed.

v5zeo2.jpg

I filed to fit the Polish Radom and I took too much off. I think the other mags will still feed reliably but the Radom was the biggest rear lug out of all of my magazines. I perhaps went .5 mm too far. So now I get slight wobble but nothing that makes the gun unuseable. On the bright side, my rifle is more tolerant of lug thickness variation and I'm more confident any magazine will fit without modification. :)