1. 1. Favorite stock

• Magpul ACS
    • Magpul CTR
    • Magpul UBR -
    • Vltor EMOD
    • Choate AR-15 E2 stock
    • Other (list and explain why)
    • CAA collapsilbe stock

The criteria for this poll are flexible. Favorite can be based on looks; feel; durability; warranty service; color options; "tacticool" factor; or any thing else or any combination of factors.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

I like the CAA stock has allot of versatility added a cheek riser to mine and I like the storage compartment sling points and weight

I forgot about the CAA stock. It looks good to me and the price is very reasonable. So, I added the CAA to the poll.

I really like the CAA stock. It is durable, sturdy, has numerous sling points, the ability to add a cheek weld, has a nice recoil pad built in, and it looks good. I will be replacing the Tapco T6 on my S12 with a CAA as soon as I get a little extra cash. The one that is on my 7.62 has sold me.

It can be purchased in black, tan, and OD green, and has a side-reversible recessed pocket that can carry batteries or allen wrenches. Also, on the opposite side of the pocket, it has a picatinny rail where you can attach the above-mentioned cheek weld.

cbs%20od%20green.jpg

CAACBS.jpg

Edited by TR Young

I agree with shaneman... if this is for an AK... NONE!! "Keep that shit off my AK!"

If its on an AR... I actually have THREE... although I have NEVER tried the third...

I LOVE the ACE ARFX skeleton stock... :up:

http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/catalog/images/ACE%20ARFX%20SKELETON%20STOCK.jpg

I am also very fond of the Bell and Carlson Thumbhole. thats my second favorite...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=45145

( down near the end of that post is pics of my .458 SOCOM dressed in one... )

I REALLY love the looks of the Magpul PRS

http://www.dharkon.com/images/Magpul%20-%20PRS%20Stock.jpg

I plan to have one very soon on my Target / Varminter... :up:

Thems my picks!

:smoke:

I voted "Other", but I probably could have voted for the CTR...........

I'm a fan of the MOE stocks (Magpul's po-boy version of the CTR, minus the QD swivel and "friction lock"....neither of which are an issue for me). MOE's reside on every single one of my AR's now. I used to have the Ace ARFX that Indy mentioned, but sold it a little bit ago. I did like it when I had it though. Rock solid stock.

When I get out of NY, and no longer have to neuter telescoping stocks..........I'll be picking up an LMT SOPMOD. I've read endless praise about them. I finally got to recently try one out. I was hooked. Feels awesome. Kinda pricey, as far as stocks go, but I'm definitely going to pick at least 1 or 2 up.

I think UBR's look bad-ass, but I hear they're heavy. Better for balancing out a front-heavy carbine. None of mine are front-heavy, so I think I'll pass on them for now.

Edited by -Shooter-
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like the VLTOE Emod, LoP, weight, cheek weld, looks and cost.

It won out over the MagPul ACS purely for aesthetics, everything else was a draw between'em.

If money wasn't a issue, I'd replace it with a MagPul UBR.

The day I have a extra $500 mad money, and nothing else to buy, the AR & S12 get a UBR on'em.

VLTOR Emod on my AR.

100_7526.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Did like my Bushy stubby A2. Paid a lot for that thing. For what it was. but in 94-04 it was compact as things got (shorter is better in long guns IMO, ergo wise and that good feel. Friends uncle as kids let us use the Delta H-Bar with rubberized 'military' deer scope. But not just in feel, the radical hook shape to the cheek peice was ultracool to a couple of 10-12 or so year olds (Man had a matching 10mm with it, that red triangle drawing my attention like boobs in later years. first gun i had to have and still haven't)

Now, ACE Socom by far. Feels good, works good, well designed. Won't stand up like a SMLE Jungle Carbine for anything but steadying a shot, but good for that. Perfect fit, naked or in a chinchilla coat with III hard plate vest loaded out, underneath. Plus, us non AR people can flip it off to the side for discreet storage/concealment, maneuverability. Not that it's bad just pushed all the way in. Great buttpad. Got a Warsaw 74 going on my Saigas. It would be my only other choice if funds were there.

If it looks goofy, check out that S-12 conversion on ETac's photo section.(has HK irons, Ultimak, their trigger guard, Galil Knob, Green Saw grip and Galil forearm, drillpress sawblade style flash, and this Ace Socom stock, folder at that IIRC. Glorious. Maybe favorite of all i've seen, bringing back that Euro 70's killer style. Beautiful badass assembled for max good, tasteful looks. no other stock woulda looked good on that.

That Duostock is just to aesthetically ass ugly to be on the market. If it works, awesome, use it. The appearance, as a gun nut/connoiseur, would have me like modifying a vaccum extension or something, running around with a 1911 or Shotgun to use instead, seriously.

only thing worse is a gun without a buffer tube, using a M4(CAR, as once termed)collapsing stock. There has to be something else if a few inches of variable LOP means so much. No accounting for taste. But seeing one on a NEF single shot, that's like a gun magazine cartoon come to life and people earnestly respecting the concept. Throwing cash down for it! WTF?! LEO I used to see up at this bar all the time told me they were the hottest black market iron round town at the time. "No shit", were his words. Always funny. Mossberg came up with good ideas but started this crap I think.

Knoxx would be the exception, those mechanisms really work

For an AK, the Ace Ultralight because you can store all of your cleaning and dissasembly tools in it and it is light weight.

l_2b7588283397433f9e702b86fe4c79de.jpg

:unsure: God. Yeah, definately beats the shit out of that dime sized little finger grabber trap door in a K's back end. Saw that on CSS and their small pic was just not near as flattering apparently. To deep collapse AND lay off to the side is a nice feature, like it's geometry or whatever how it looks moden but not star treky. But I like this Ace too alot. Front swive perfect, sleepnumber for your cheekbone, all that hollow space if you run the 'bad guy gun' insteads of uncle sam's. Any bigger and a AR-7 action and barrel could slide in.

Learned to stay outta gunshops/shows, now I can't even look at the internet anymore, getting that way.

Edited by Steppe Sweeper

Am pretty surprised that the LMT/SOPMOD stock isn't on the list. The only thing keeping it out most people's hands is either they've tried it and don't like it (and most of those go to the moe/ctr) or they simply cannot or will not pay the price for it. It's overpriced but meh so is a lot of kit. Plus you can beat the shit out of it and it won't crack or anything like that.

It's amazing.

Doesn't get caught in a beard like the VLTOR does (though I LOVE the VLTOR when I'm shaven!) and is an amazingly solid piece of kit. Cheek weld is nothing short of amazing.

My only bitch is the price but honestly when you're paying for a 6920 or for other high end parts and not the cheapest thing out of the sherluk marketing catalog wtf is another 100 bucks.

Second to the LMT stock is the CTR/MOE stock. Works great and honestly the MOE is fine if you don't need the QD swivels. I run a single point off the receiver so that was irrelevant on my last build. Moe works fine for me :) Honestly if Magpul put the qd swivels on the MOE stock they would probably sell a HELL of a lot less ctr stocks.

If I lived in a ban state, probably either an A1 fixed stock or a sully stock. A1 if I'm running civvies and sully if I even think I might be running armor.

Sully anyways most of the time, now that I think of it. I usually run my telestock all the way in or "one out" anyways.

I like to keep rails and other tomfuckery off my stocks. I don't even like to use storage compartments. Last carbine course I took saw 2 of the CAA side saddles on a vanilla m4 telestock pop open and dump batteries everywhere. Guys were fine with them once they ditched the caps and just decided to check their damn batteries every once in awhile.

Before people flip out, lemme give my feelings on why the adjustable cheekpieces, rails, storage compartments and other stuff are just deal killers for me:

Let's face it. If you're going to need your carbine right now you're not going to have time to dick with allen wrenches and batteries in your stock. If you perform proper weapon service you won't need spare parts. If you build your firearm with quality parts for reliability (i.e. properly staked key, chrome lined barrel/chamber, don't use whatever shitty ammo reloads are for sale at the gun show from bubba) you won't need them either. Thus they become a liability.

If you're that concerned about spare parts the one thing you should absolutely have on you if you're running an ar is a spare properly staked BCG. That's whats going to go down if anything does. Your weaponlight should not run out of batteries. Neither should your RDS. If they do with proper care you need to either return them or upgrade them. I have done so with an EOtech (from N to AA battery).

Thus the MOE/CTR and LMT/SOPMOD work best for me. VLTOR if I'm shaven :)

Edited by Tsm002

Am pretty surprised that the LMT/SOPMOD stock isn't on the list. The only thing keeping it out most people's hands is either they've tried it and don't like it (and most of those go to the moe/ctr) or they simply cannot or will not pay the price for it. It's overpriced but meh so is a lot of kit. Plus you can beat the shit out of it and it won't crack or anything like that.

THIS. They're not priced competitively as separate furniture, but boy are they nice buttstocks. Go to your local funshop and shoulder an LMT and see for yourself.

Doesn't get caught in a beard like the VLTOR does (though I LOVE the VLTOR when I'm shaven!) and is an amazingly solid piece of kit. Cheek weld is nothing short of amazing.

Full Beard & VLTOR Emod... No such problem :unsure:

SOPMOD... Way overpriced & over rated.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Overpriced? Hell yes. Overrated? No way. There's a reason so many stocks have been going after the same profile that the SOPMOD stock has- it works.

Rock River Arms seems to have come out with a stock called the "operator" for about half the price of the LMT that looks almost EXACTLY like it. Would like to get my hands on it and try it out. Honestly not sure why LMT keeps the price of the stock where it is. They are easily undercut by VLTOR and Magpul as it is. But again, I had no problem tossing another 100 at the stock. WTH, the rest of the carbine was not cheap.

Pic of the new RRA stock in question:

RRA-AR0250N.jpg

I think that the magpul, vltor and LMT are in the same class with wildly varying price points. Don't mean to sound like a snob but having handled a variety of CAA products...aside from their stock saddle (minus battery caps) and their stubby VFG (favorite of mine) I'm just not as impressed as I am with the magpul line, especially the MOE line. Magpul's decision to come out with a commercial diameter MOE stock really changed the whole game.

Regarding the beard and vltor-

Mmm...maybe I needed to trim my beard up or something. Kept getting caught in the little squiggly line bit on the stock and shouldering and unshouldering my carbine. Was annoying. Once shaved, was no problem :)

Overpriced? Hell yes. Overrated? No way. There's a reason so many stocks have been going after the same profile that the SOPMOD stock has- it works.

Rock River Arms seems to have come out with a stock called the "operator" for about half the price of the LMT that looks almost EXACTLY like it. Would like to get my hands on it and try it out. Honestly not sure why LMT keeps the price of the stock where it is. They are easily undercut by VLTOR and Magpul as it is. But again, I had no problem tossing another 100 at the stock. WTH, the rest of the carbine was not cheap.

Pic of the new RRA stock in question:

RRA-AR0250N.jpg

I think that the magpul, vltor and LMT are in the same class with wildly varying price points. Don't mean to sound like a snob but having handled a variety of CAA products...aside from their stock saddle (minus battery caps) and their stubby VFG (favorite of mine) I'm just not as impressed as I am with the magpul line, especially the MOE line. Magpul's decision to come out with a commercial diameter MOE stock really changed the whole game.

Regarding the beard and vltor-

Mmm...maybe I needed to trim my beard up or something. Kept getting caught in the little squiggly line bit on the stock and shouldering and unshouldering my carbine. Was annoying. Once shaved, was no problem :)

Yep, over rated, what with the other copycats available, it is now over rated by the many who won't put anything else on their gun... Much like Colt ARs, over priced and over rated.

Anyways...

Trim? Shit... wild & woolly baby!

Chile2003WFFC.jpg

Problem is some of those copycats like to fall apart when you give them a good smack. Or when storage compartments decide to fall open. Or when bolt on adjustable cheekpieces fall apart. Have seen all 3 of these things happen during courses on CAA stocks (the stocks themselves didn't break so much as the attachments) and to no name stuff bolted onto vanilla m4 stocks.

You're right about the pricing, though, again. I think that if RRA makes this operator a decent clone and if magpul can keep up the momentum (little doubt there) that they will become to LMT stock wise what BCM has become to Colt.

Edited by Tsm002