My version of a 74 is done

Finally got a chance to take a few quick pics of my latest conversion. Did the PG conversion,added selector notch, changed out the stock set,added lower hand guard retainer, changed out the FSB and gas block, changed the rear sight, top cover and gas piston, and added a bullet guide. For my bullet guides I use the ones from K-var and mod them a little to fit my rifles. I don't thread the trunnion hole, I just drill it and secure the screw with a nut from underneath and red lock tight.

Now I'm just waiting on my sling, ammo and a few mags to show up and I actually might get to shoot this thing.

post-13757-12637445870531_thumb.jpg

Edited by gunguy98
  • Like 1

A classic Afghan war version! Now you need some Bakelite mags to go with it and a tan mag pouch!

True AK74

Great job and nice work! Hell, at first I couldn't tell it was a Saiga! Did you pull your own gas block and FSG?

Post Shooting results!

Frosty

Edited by Fluid Power

A classic Afghan war version! Now you need some Bakelite mags to go with it and a tan mag pouch!

True AK74

Great job and nice work! Hell, at first I couldn't tell it was a Saiga! Did you pull your own gas block and FSG?

Post Shooting results!

Frosty

Yeah, I was going for a classic look. I'm not particularly fond of the tacti-cool look that so many opt for, but to each his own right.

I did all the wok on this and the others I've done, I find cutting off the gas block and FSB is easier when they come dimpled. I've got it down now to about twenty minutes to get both off with a dremel without leaving a single mark on the barrel.

• Like 1

I like the WOOD on that.. Where did you find that 'minty' set??wub.gif Maybe a 'blonde' PG is in order for it also??

Nice detail pics also.. 027.gif

I looked for a while to find what I wanted and didn't break the bank. I just happened to be at the right place and time with an on-line auction.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I've had this to the range a couple of times now and I'm very impressed with it's accuracy and functionality. This is my favorite AK right now...I never knew how much fun 5.45 really is.

I think I might have to build another in plum furniture this time!

• 7 months later...

I never cared about blonde, until saw yours.

Wow!

Classy work, congrats.

I presume you threaded barrel for 14x1 muzzle brake?

What is your barrel thickness?

I've just got mine 5.45 with ~18.3mm/ .751 in OD.

Would like to add 24x1.5 thread adapter Soviet/Bulgarian original pattern.

Any suggestions?

I never cared about blonde, until saw yours.

Wow!

Classy work, congrats.

I presume you threaded barrel for 14x1 muzzle brake?

What is your barrel thickness?

I've just got mine 5.45 with ~18.3mm/ .751 in OD.

Would like to add 24x1.5 thread adapter Soviet/Bulgarian original pattern.

Any suggestions?

No threading involved...I knocked off the old gas block and front sight base and replaced with Bulgarian...The Bulgarian FSB is already threaded for the 24mm break