Holy Lead Fouling Batman!!

So, as I've mentioned before, I basically bought a metric ton of Winchester Super X High Brass UNPLATED SHOT to break in my darlin' Saiga. After my first cleaning I looked down the barrel and noticed some "residue" and wrote it off as me being a shotty cleaning noob and new I'd be cleaning it again shortly.

Well after 3 cleanings and taking a look at it last night, I was about to freak out thinking my barrel is pitted or damaged...but then I realized that what looks like pits in a reflective barrel could be deceiving my eyes and after much inspection it appears it could also be smears of molten metal. So most likely this is lead fouling right? I can't imagine I could have possibly done anything to f-up my barrel thus far. If so, is there anything I need to keep in mind when cleaning lead from a CHROME lined barrel? Last thing I wanna do is mess up my sweet chromed shotty ;)

Sad that there is a downside to shooting those 3" Uber-hot 00 Super X war shells!!! 15 pellets!!! :killer:

• Like 1

So, as I've mentioned before, I basically bought a metric ton of Winchester Super X High Brass UNPLATED SHOT to break in my darlin' Saiga. After my first cleaning I looked down the barrel and noticed some "residue" and wrote it off as me being a shotty cleaning noob and new I'd be cleaning it again shortly.

Well after 3 cleanings and taking a look at it last night, I was about to freak out thinking my barrel is pitted or damaged...but then I realized that what looks like pits in a reflective barrel could be deceiving my eyes and after much inspection it appears it could also be smears of molten metal. So most likely this is lead fouling right? I can't imagine I could have possibly done anything to f-up my barrel thus far. If so, is there anything I need to keep in mind when cleaning lead from a CHROME lined barrel? Last thing I wanna do is mess up my sweet chromed shotty ;)

Sad that there is a downside to shooting those 3" Uber-hot 00 Super X war shells!!! 15 pellets!!! :killer:

Yes. If your gun is set up, and gassed right, you can shoot Wally World Federal bird shot for $4.67 a box of 25 for less than twenty cents a shell. However, you can shoot whatever you want. Your gun has a chrome lined barrel and should clean up pretty easily. Try brake or carb cleaner on a swath of old t-shirt and keep swabing until the cloth comes out "clean".

If you want to shoot the heavy stuff, no problem. But you pay to play!

Have fun.

WS

Yeah my gun shoots the walmart federal fine, but until I get a clay thrower I'm just shooting at paper.

I use CLP and clean it until it comes out clean, which is why I was asking about lead fouling as opposed to just regular soot fouling. What remains seems like it can't be removed with Breakfree and cleaning patches. I'm pretty sure I even have some molten lead spattered on my gas puck!!!

Go buy a Silver cleaning rag and cut patches out of it.

The Leading will come right out and it's real inexpensive.

I had a Colt SAA copy that leaded the barrel very badly using factory lead loads. A Lewis Lead puller worked but was a pain in the ass. The silver cleaning cloth patches worked perfectly.

DO NOT use them on anything but the interior of the barrel though.

be careful with brake and carb cleaners....some of them can remove the finish on the gun

And totally screw up polymer furniture.

EDIT: I once screwed up a set of nylon grips on a pistol once with brake cleaner.8259874regan.gif

Edited by Paulyski

be careful with brake and carb cleaners....some of them can remove the finish on the gun

Absolutely true! Which is why you want to use them carefully, applied to the cleaning swatch (not sprayed directly on the gun), on the INSIDE of the barrel and gas tube, and not on the OUTSIDE...lol.

Thanks for pointing this out Ben.

WS

may I ask a dumb question?

Why even bother cleaning lead fouling out of the smooth bore shotgun barrel?

Isnt that self-choking? I mean, the barrel is not a sewer pipe that will clog up. Would a few slugs help?

My S-17 is still in the "Class 3" locker at the gun shop. the Dorchester sheriff takes lots of time to do his criminal check.

Edited by kencrawleysc

Foaming bore cleaner is generally safe for plastic and wood furniture. Just spray it in, let it sit 30 minutes, then brush and swab. If you're careful around stuff that can get eaten, penetrating oil like PB Blaster or Kroil also works really well to lift fouling. One nice thing about shotguns: there's no copper fouling to deal with.

In a chrome lined shotgun bore there's no harm in simply chucking a bronze brush in an electric drill and going to town.

• 2 weeks later...

Beagle,

email me: ken (AT) crawley (dot) org

I am waiting for the Dorchester sheriff to sign my paperwork so it can then go to the ATF. So, that means it is still at ATP Arms. I got my 3 MD-20 drums yesterday!!! The anticipation is causing an ulcer.

As I want to try to chrono 00 Buck out of my S-17 (and hazard the chrono to death by 'oops') I would love to find an outdoors place that is closer to where I live instead of the long trek to Boggy Creek.

I have tried every method used together and STILL have not removed all the leading, I basically have highly polished leading. I have attacked it 3 separate times, and I make a little progress each time. I basically took it out of the box and baked on tons of lead with magnum 00 buck...something tells me this would be easier to remove had the barrel been wiped lightly with some CLP initially.

This crap has been on a month and a half...how long before it can start rusting underneath? I have been putting a light coating of clp on it when i put it away in hopes of preventing any rust.

I will buy the lead cloth asap...I didn't buy it because I figured that Shooter's Choice Lead Remover, Chore Boy, a Bore snake, CLP and the factory brush would be able to get it out eventually!!! Guess not. I've heard that people have next to zero leading after using the SC lead remover because it has a metal treatment that resists leading..so we'll see I guess.

The S-12 is chrome lined. It is a LOT harder than steel, I use a stainless brush, no problem Also as it is chrome lined it will not rust like a bare steel barrel, but any rust that gets started under the chrome will cause it to flake,so keep it clean and dry!

Yep. That's what is needed.

Folks, everybody that owns any firearm needs one or two. Just cut patches that fit the bure tightly (Preferably use a Jag) and it will pull lead, copper, whatever.

Well I got the cloths and FINALLY this shit is coming out!! I wish I would have just got them initially ETEK!! The only thing is there is SO MUCH lead I have already gone through most of the lead remover cloth...It is literally caked with lead. My experienced buddy looked into my barrel and doesn't even understand how the that much lead got in there. As I said, even my gas puck has GOBS of lead on it.

OH WELL, back to work!!!

*scrub*scrub*scrub*