Just got a Saiga the othe day and became aware of 922r. I modded a Hawk Model 981 awhile back with no knowleadge and now am looking for the BATFE around every corner.unsure.gif I put a mag tube extender with new spring and follower and an ATI 6 position stock and pistol grip. The best I can find is I would have to change 2 parts but everything I can find is geared toward semi-auto sporters. Appreciate any suggestions. Hopefully I'm not wearing this out.deadhorse.gif

Just got a Saiga the othe day and became aware of 922r. I modded a Hawk Model 981 awhile back with no knowleadge and now am looking for the BATFE around every corner..........

As Saigafreake mentioned you've got nothing to worry about. 922r only applies to self-loading (semi-automatic) rifles and shotguns, it does not apply to manually operated longarms (bolt action, break-open action, lever action, pump action, etc.), so your Hawk 981 is legal no matter what parts you install on it.

Edited by Frogfoot

Just got a Saiga the othe day and became aware of 922r. I modded a Hawk Model 981 awhile back with no knowleadge and now am looking for the BATFE around every corner..........

As Saigafreake mentioned you've got nothing to worry about. 922r only applies to self-loading (semi-automatic) rifles and shotguns, it does not apply to manually operated longarms (bolt action, break-open action, lever action, pump action, etc.), so your Hawk 981 is legal no matter what parts you install on it.

The law says semi-auto rifle or ANY shotgun..........I'm confused.

I just looked it up...........and you're right. It does indeed say "...or any shotgun".

922r was pretty much written to be as confusing as possible, and you are correct in that the first line of code 922r does say "..any shotgun..", but if you read 922r in its entirety you will see that it doesn't actually define "any shotgun" as meaning just any shotgun, but rather 922r actually defines "any shotgun" to instead specifically mean shotguns that are prohibited from importation under section 925d3.

Now section 925d3 just says that a “non-sporting” firearm (be it handgun, rifle, or shotgun) cannot be imported, but 925d3 doesn't actually give a technical definition of what “non-sporting” is, and instead effectively says that “non-sporting” means whatever the U.S. attorney general decides it to mean.

So then you also have to look at a regulation the ATF came up with, which is ATF regulation 478.39, titled "Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns", which says that no one can assemble a firearm defined as “non-sporting” under section 925d3 from imported parts if they use more than 10 of the 20 parts the ATF also lists in regulation 478.39.

Then finally you go to the ATF explanation of section 922r and regulation 478.39, which states a violation of 922r will occur if a non-sporting "semiautomatic rifle or shotgun" is assembled using more than 10 imported parts.

So when it comes to shotguns 922r definitely does apply only to self-loading (semiautomatic) shotguns.

Edited by Frogfoot