Thinking of an AR grip mount/trigger guard for my S12

Hello folks. I am in the process of converting a Saiga 12. I was browsing the web and saw the AR grip mount/trigger guards on one of the vendor's websites. I was wondering about this grip and how you think the AR's grip angle would work with the AK platform. I really like the Hogue AK grip, but was curious about the AR grips, as there seem to be a couple of more options.

It looks like some AR grips that have the taller backstrap, like a Magpul MOE or MIAD, won't work for this application.

Anyways, does anyone have a positive or negative experience with an AR grip on and AK? Specifically I'd like to hear your comments on the compatibility of the grip's angle.

Thank you

jonblack

From what I understand the angle isn't a problem.

There is an adapter that allows ar type grips to be use with existing AK trigger gaurds.

Thanks for the reply Gas Giant. I am planning out my conversion and I have not decided on which trigger guard to use. Right now it is a toss up between the AK Builder trigger guard and this.

jonblack

EDIT: to fix hot link

Edited by jonblack

From what I understand the angle isn't a problem.

There is an adapter that allows ar type grips to be use with existing AK trigger gaurds.

The adapter will let you use just about any AR pistol grip as long as you're willing to cut off the extended backstrap. You may also need to trim if your PG has a "gapper" or trigger guard extension in the front.

I think that either triggerguard/grip combo could work out well, but personally I went with the AK builder triggerguard, (drilled the extra holes myself and used machine screws with locking washers and red loctite rather than rivets), cut my own AK pistol grip hole in the receiver, (exciting! :D ), and currently use a CAA UPG-47 grip.

I'm very happy with the results.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

The adapter will let you use just about any AR pistol grip as long as you're willing to cut off the extended backstrap. You may also need to trim if your PG has a "gapper" or trigger guard extension in the front.

Ah, yes, I can see that in the photo now. OK, thanks for the input.

jonblack

For the record, and if you'd like to go this route, standard MIAD backstraps are available from Magpul. That is, unextended backstraps which *should work just fine with the CSS trigger guard. I believe theres even a picture of a MIAD on the CSS trigger guard in the link posted.

Edited by Will486

For the record, and if you'd like to go this route, standard MIAD backstraps are available from Magpul. That is, unextended backstraps which *should work just fine with the CSS trigger guard. I believe theres even a picture of a MIAD on the CSS trigger guard in the link posted.

All MIAD's come with the straight (no "beavertail") backstrap as one of the pieces, whether it's the full kit, or basic kit. So as long as your MIAD, regardless of which kit it is, has everything it should come with...........you're covered, and can use the CSS trigger guard.

The picture on CSS's site has a MOE grip with the "beavertail" chopped off.

Yes, it did look like it was curving back and then it just ended quite abruptly. I know the unextended backstrap doesnt even bother curving upwards. But thanks, good to know. I wasnt aware that the basic kit came with all of them. If I ever get really bored and want to go through ripping out my FCG and installing a new trigger guard and grip, thats probably the route ill go.

I wasnt aware that the basic kit came with all of them.

Yup. The only extra things the full kit comes with, are 2 more front straps. One of which is the integral winter trigger guard.

MOE's fit my hand perfectly, so I'd probably get one those, simply because they're cheaper. Brownells has them for $17 with the discount.