Hi folks, I'm new here. I have a question about the saiga 5.45. I took mine to the range today for the first test. I have a scope on it because I have catarac problems. At 25 yards my first 2 shots were at least 8 inches apart, one 4 inches high and an inch left and the second 4 inchs low and 5 right. I was not impressed. I tried a third shot and was a half inch low on the edge of the bull. three more in rapid succession were in the bull. Over the next 10 minutes I put around 30 in the different diamonds on the target. When we had a cease fire I set a target at 100 yards. There was about a 15 minute wait before I couldset that target. When the range was hot I loaded up and fire a round at the top of the paper. second 2 inche low and 4 inches right. third in the bull. 7 more in the bull!the group in that bull was less that an inch across. I went out this afternoon and called up a fox at 50 yards and missed totally. Seems it needs 2 warmups before it's ready to play. I'm shooting military ammo, can't remember who made it just now, I ordered it from Century. Any one had any similar experiences? Maybe because the barrel isn't broken in yet? Love to hear your ideas.

Thanks,

mountainmantrav

it may be you anticipating the recoil on the first shot.

Always a possibility. But I failed to mention I also had my AR-15 and my FN-49 7mm with me and shot them as well (AR first, then Saiga, then FN) and didn't have any flyers with either of the others. The Saiga shot the best groups (after those first two rounds) by the way. It's also the most fun to shoot.

mountainmantrav

MM,

Really not trying to be a smartass, but just trying to start with the simple solutions first. Are the scope rings and base/mount on tight? Maybe try the scope on another rifle to make sure that it is not defective. Maybe try some different ammo, possibly new brand instead of surplus. Just some thoughts for you on the simple things to check.

Thanks for the thoughts. I checked and everything is tight but, I have a tasco POS 3-9 variable that came with the package mounted on it. I got a Nikon 3-9 and plan to mount it on the saiga tomorrow. Going to the range again on Friday to teach some pistol newbies where the bullet comes out. I'll shoot it in after the class. I'll update you on how it works out.

I'm 60 years old and have been shooting for 50 years and this is the first time I've had a rifle be so consistently inconsistent when cold.

Still love it but having two warmup shots could get to be a drag.

Travis

MM,

Really not trying to be a smartass, but just trying to start with the simple solutions first. Are the scope rings and base/mount on tight? Maybe try the scope on another rifle to make sure that it is not defective. Maybe try some different ammo, possibly new brand instead of surplus. Just some thoughts for you on the simple things to check.

My experince has been that the first shot is always off from the main group shooting AK's. I think because the first round is chambered manualy and the rest are chambered semiauto by the rifle itself.

What would it matter how the round was chambered?