BATF Notice bans private gun sales in Texas

I was sent this link from a friend in Houston. My guess is that this stunt was tried in Austin due to Austin being a hot bed of liberals. Parts of Texas are being ruined by an influx of moronic idiots from states like Kalifornia. Starting to see dumb laws popping up all over the place.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/gun-show-owner-police-at-odds-over-recommendations-186641.html

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

Sounds like just another shining example of BATFE aggression and intimidation toward law abiding American citizens who choose to excerce their Constitutional Right, with the backing of liberal, politically correct (and woefully clueless as to the law) local law enforcement. Does anyone really expect anything less from the BATFE? The scary part is these assholes "believe" in what they're doing ...

Not to start a debate, but near some areas they have cancelled gun shows altogether because of illegal purchases...Detroit had it happen. I think it is horrible that I need to jump through all the hoops to get a firearm, but if it means while I am at the gun show while some other asshole buys a gun in the parking lot and kills me...well then it makes sense..not saying that will happen just that buying a firearm for a law abiding responsible gun owner should not be affected by this regulation..

Edited by DJ Big Dog
  • Like 1

It looks like a restraint of free trade to me...

Well, sort of. Conduct your face-to-face (FTF) sales somewhere other than the private parking lot of the gun show. If the owners of that private property don't want you selling guns in the parking lot, they can kick you out for trespassing.

In other words, keep it on the down low or head next door and sell guns in Wal Mart's parking lot :P

Actually I was referring the strong arm tactics employed by the BATF to muscle the vendor who rented the space into compliance with an something that is not the law of the land, or even a regulation, and ultimately getting him thrown out of of his leased venue...

Hey, thanks for playing! :angel:

• Like 1

When there's nothing bad happening and nobody doing anything wrong, ATF to the rescue!

Crack some skulls! Arrest some perps! Taze first, ask questions later! For God and country! Allah Ack... no wait... LEEROY JEN... hrm... TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!

• Like 2

Well, interesting. I just bought a PT100 at the Fort Worth show (private sale). Sweet deal. I gotta say, if the place is overrun with illegals and felons buying stuff to take to Mexico etc., well it is reasonably within the police authority to restrict a public nuisance. They could ban the shows altogether if they wanted, just as they can say you can't have a strip club in a mall. They aren't banning private sales, just private sales At this location/event. It is also certainly within the lessor's right just as a restaurant can ban you from selling hot dogs to their customers on their premises.

It's a slippery slope but we know there is a problem in Austin and San Antonio with illegals and drug gangs buying there. Better to limit private sales than have everyone face getting ID'ed coming out of the show. How else to keep weapons out of the hands of those who can't legally buy them?

Well, interesting. I just bought a PT100 at the Fort Worth show (private sale). Sweet deal. I gotta say, if the place is overrun with illegals and felons buying stuff to take to Mexico etc., well it is reasonably within the police authority to restrict a public nuisance. They could ban the shows altogether if they wanted, just as they can say you can't have a strip club in a mall. They aren't banning private sales, just private sales At this location/event. It is also certainly within the lessor's right just as a restaurant can ban you from selling hot dogs to their customers on their premises.

It's a slippery slope but we know there is a problem in Austin and San Antonio with illegals and drug gangs buying there. Better to limit private sales than have everyone face getting ID'ed coming out of the show. How else to keep weapons out of the hands of those who can't legally buy them?

Is it so horrible to ID people as they exit the show? Of course if they did that they'd actually have to make arrests and deport the illegals, which would be a lot of extra work....

[guote]

Is it so horrible to ID people as they exit the show?

Dude, are you kidding? can you picture asking gun show people to show ID and do a background check to even get in a show? No way. No part of that is constitutional. You have rights, you know. The government does not have the right to just walk up to you and say "papers, please" to see if you are worthy to own a gun.

• Like 1

[guote]

Is it so horrible to ID people as they exit the show?

Dude, are you kidding? can you picture asking gun show people to show ID and do a background check to even get in a show? No way. No part of that is constitutional. You have rights, you know. The government does not have the right to just walk up to you and say "papers, please" to see if you are worthy to own a gun.

+1!

"...endowed by their maker with certain inaliable rights.....Life,Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

If you must show your papers to go to a public exhibition, then you have surrendered your liberty.Also there goes my 'pursuit of happiness'. Nothing else to take away but your life!

Carding someone doesn't prove citizenship. I believe that it's legal for Mexican nationals (and for that matter all foreign nationals) to get a Texas Drivers License if they can prove residency. Residency does not equal citizenship.

Carding someone doesn't prove citizenship. I believe that it's legal for Mexican nationals (and for that matter all foreign nationals) to get a Texas Drivers License if they can prove residency. Residency does not equal citizenship.

Well that's part of the problem right there. If you're going to issue drivers licenses to aliens, it should clearly show that they're aliens.

Furthermore, if there are illegals applying for drivers licenses, why isn't the DPS arresting them when they show up to apply for a license?

I agree the system is flawed, and that's why so many illegals get away with being illegals. They know that citizenship is not a requirement for a drivers license. They also know that only certain Federal Agents can legally ask them for proof of citizenship. Perhaps if the Feds were to ease up on the restrictions that only allow their agents to ask those questions and to verify citizenship, it would be harder for them to get a DL. But that also opens up an entirely different can of worms that many States may not want to deal with. Can you imagine if FFL's were instructed to only use Passports as both ID and proof of citizenship? That would drive people into a frenzy. Passports are expensive!

To make a long story short, I have no solutions to offer.

Edited by DLT

Just about every state already issues a different looking drivers license for teenage drivers / under 21. It shouldn't be a huge problem to issue similar licenses to resident aliens.

And serioiusly, what's stopping the people at the department of motor vehicles (who are usually police themselves) from arresting illegals on the spot? "Sorry amigo, you can't drive, but we're about to give you a free ride to the border."

You are right, it shouldn't be a huge problem, but it quickly turns into one. Having worked for the State, I can tell you that even things that are supposed to be simple, turn into logistical nightmares and can take years to get approved by our legislators who get pressure from the voters in their districts. Like I said, no simple solutions.

Another thing to consider is that it is a well known fact that straw purchases are the number one way that guns get into the hands of criminals. Basically this means that some guy or gal with a clean record and background buys the stuff for someone who can't. These purchasers are not going to be illegals or people likely not to qualify for the purchase. In essence, it's those whom one would least suspect. I will also admit that many of the people contracted to make straw purchases are total idiots that know nothing about what they are doing, and are thus an obvious red flag to FFL's (I have turned down many of these people). However, I have also known of law enforcement agents purchasing firearms that they turned around and re-sold at three times the price to drug dealers.

All I'm trying to get to is this: Once a firearm is sold, we really have no idea where it goes or where it's going to end up, and if you are going to card people, you better card them all, not just the ones that say "Adios" for goodbye.

Like I said, no easy solution. Do svidaniya!

Once again the fascist principle of punish the many for the crimes of the few prevails.

Bad guys can get the good shit (RPG's, Grenades, Full Autos) south of the border that the U.S. sold to the army who now works for the cartels! Money talks and can buy what we can't here.

The little people are the ones that are hoarding all of these US Gunshow Guns because you can't get them in Mexico legally and they fear the gangs and for for their own safety.

If our gunshow guns are going south of the border, then maybe that can help bridge the trade gap of all the Coke, Meth, Heroin, Weed and other drugs that come over here illegally!

FUCK MEXICO, THE ATF AND AUSTIN PD! They are trying to bring the U.S. down to Mexico's third world status, and we(through our government)are fucking letting them! We even pay these illegal immigrants to piss on our country and culture as soon as they get here. If they are willing to commit fraud to get a drivers license and a job, what is going to stop them from committing fraud to get government assistance?

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

FUCK MEXICO, THE ATF AND AUSTIN PD! They are trying to bring the U.S. down to Mexico's third world status, and we(through our government)are fucking letting them! We even pay these illegal immigrants to piss on our country and culture as soon as they get here. If they are willing to commit fraud to get a drivers license and a job, what is going to stop them from committing fraud to get government assistance?

*1 The "new world order"= a one THIRD world order!