Conversions for your Saiga - Open Class version

If you have a Saiga 12 that you want to have converted, here is the price for a complete Open Class conversion. If you want to pick and choose which items are to be installed, call Robert for pricing.

RandRTargets Open gun is $2,315 On your Shotgun. (price good through 1/25/10)

(If you don't own a Saiga add $650).

Here is how it is configured and what is performed:

#1. Completely disassemble the shotgun, not one part is left alone.

#2. RandRTargets machines/welds the following;

Weld/fill in holes in the receiver and mill new holes for the safety,

magazine release and stock adapter

Weld/fill in the original gas ports in the barrel

Mill in new gas ports for a shortened gas system

Shorten the gas system and polish/fit

Mill gas ports for the compensator

Ream the forcing cone for more uniform shot and less felt recoil

Cut barrel so there are no threads on the exterior end

Cut and thread barrel to accept Remington chokes

Weld more length on the barrel hood to avoid malfunctions

Cut bolt and bolt carrier and polish to accept a loaded magazine without holding the bolt back

Polish and smooth action

#3. Install and fit the following RandRTargets custom made Saiga parts;

RandRTargets AR 15 Stock Adaptor

RandRTargets Trigger Guard / Grip Adaptor

RandRTargets Magazine Well with trigger finger release

RandRTargets 2" X 11” Vented Handguard

RandRTargets Double Shotgun Barrel Compensator (Approved by original designer, JP Enterprises)

RandRTargets Scope Base

RandRTargets Left side bolt handle

RandRTargets AR Style Safety

#4. Install/fit the following parts;

Veltor collapsible stock

Ergo Grip

Burris Fast fire sight

Briley Improved choke

Tapco trigger, straighten the trigger and perform a trigger job

Ceramic coating of barrel and frame

Fitted Surefire magazine

If you have any questions, feel free to call Robert at 503-551-7283

Doug

Got a pic?

Open guns will look like this with all aluminum parts black. You have your choice of ceramic coatings for the rest of the gun. Also the hand guard will not go past the comp, but if you really wanted a long handguard like on the red gun you could talk to Robert about it.

Doug

post-22191-12642882885405_thumb.jpg

What is the best ammo(birdshot and slugs) for this set-up?

As with any auto shotgun, it's a good idea to run a bunch of different stuff through it to see what it likes. I use Wally World Federal bulk packs of #7 or 7.5s for practice and I shoot B&P F2 Mach shells in 7.5 (1365 FPS!) for matches. They make the comp work better and are noticeably softer. I have used alot of Federal TruBall and S&B slugs but I am trying B&P slugs this year, they shoot softer but are not cycling reliably yet. I need to have them run 100% before I shoot them in matches.

If you are going to shoot in competition you may also want to have some spreaders, high brass #6s (for the tough shots) and some buck shot.

Doug

Great looking open Saiga 12 shotgun.

Do you sell just the ventilated handguard by itself? If so, how much is it? And, is it a drop-in installation?

Thanks in advance.

Got a pic?

Open guns will look like this with all aluminum parts black. You have your choice of ceramic coatings for the rest of the gun. Also the hand guard will not go past the comp, but if you really wanted a long handguard like on the red gun you could talk to Robert about it.

Doug

Great looking open Saiga 12 shotgun.

Do you sell just the ventilated handguard by itself? If so, how much is it? And, is it a drop-in installation?

Thanks in advance.

Got a pic?

Doug

I haven't seen a price on them yet, your best bet is to give Robert a call at 503-551-7283 and ask him.

Doug

Cool, I had thought about the bulk paks, but they seem to have a pretty kick to them even with the comp. I have a case of the F2 on the way now. I'll see how they compare. I used some Rem Nitro 1 ounce loads at last weekends 2 gun match and they seemed to do great, too bad they were the only 3 boxes the store had.

Edited by Roger

I was using the reduced recoil version. The Sellier & Bellot Special Slug 28 also worked quite well and I was able to get them at a pretty good price. I need to get my B&P slugs dialed in for this year, they are very soft but I've only shot a few and I'm not confident with them yet.

Doug

Cool, due to the weather my first slug testing will be at the match in the morning. We normally don't need slugs around here, but they threw 4 in for the match this weekend. I think what I have should work. I'll get in testing mode after this weekend. One other thing, what choke do you normally use? I think I have the IM installed and it was great on the poppers(it drove them down at 20 yards) I had trouble with close clays unless I was dead on the clay. My shot looked like it was staying tight for a long distance. I wonder if I can get the charging handle moved over to the left side after the fact?

Edited by Roger
  • 3 months later...

what barrel length needed to convert to open?thanks

The 22" works the best, then they are cut down to about 18 1/2" and threaded for chokes. If you are thinking of buying one, Robert has some in stock to save you the trouble of buying then shipping the gun.

Doug