Which Saiga to get?

Which round would be the most plentiful laying around in the battlefield?

If I was in combat I would want the round I can most easily get my hands on.

Later, Ron

As civilians, how can we expect to scavenge from the "battlefield"? Even if we experience TEOTWAWKI, and our situation degenerates to a Mad Max level (a probability barely above zero in my view), if you are on the battlefield a lot, you will probably be killed before you exhaust your own supply.

I want the round that I have a large inventory of. Our own personal stock is probably all we can count on.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

Later, Ron

As civilians, how can we expect to scavenge from the "battlefield"? Even if we experience TEOTWAWKI, and our situation degenerates to a Mad Max level (a probability barely above zero in my view), if you are on the battlefield a lot, you will probably be killed before you exhaust your own supply.

I want the round that I have a large inventory of. Our own personal stock is probably all we can count on.

I agree with this that's why I have: 1 sks and 4 saiga's (three restored and one factory new) that are ALL 7.62 also a good supply of that ammo. The trick will be to have it all available when needed...

• Like 1

That would depend on the location of the battle and the combatants.

I don't subscribe to any of the many apocalyptic theories but just for fun...

It seems that the AK-47 is the preferred firearm of many of those groups who want to do us harm. Since they would suffer more casualties in a battle their ammo would be more readily available :)

If you're looking for the .308 then save a little while longer until you can get it. Those rifles aren't going to come down much more in price.

My opinion is that if there ever comes a time where you're going to need the .308's punch, you're really really going to need it!

I don't see the battlefield ammo scrounging scenario as likely either but if there's ammo laying around, chances are the weapons that fire them are also going to be available as the previous owners probably have no further use for them. I'm also of the opinion that you train with the hardware that you're going to use. So as much as I'd love to have different rifle calibers, the money I would spend on another weapon is better spent on more ammo for training with my .308 IMHO.

Best of luck.

Havent seen but a couple of the Saiga 54R rifles here and that's unfortunate. Cheap as dirt and a good round but it would compete directly with the 308 in sales, in fact I might not of bought a 308 if the 54R had been an option. Since its being produced in the US now it would be great.

You mean you haven't seen ANY saiga rifles in 7.62x54r. Izhmash never imported any as that configuration would compete with the TIGR/SVD rifles they had limited sucess in importing.

:angry:

As for the OP's question, I would go with a 16" 7.62x39. Like a previous poster commented, you are not gonna be fucking Rambo scavenging a battlefield looking for 223 or 308. The world is not gonna end. Zombies are not gonna come out of the grave etc...

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I've got the 7.62x39, .308 Win. , .223 Rem. and 12-gauge.

Man, it would be hard to choose just one. But, if I had to choose, it would come down to practicality. As such, I'd go with the .223 Rem.

Here's why...

Ammo is easy to find, and the cartridge is shared amongst several popular other rifles (e.g. AR-15, Mini-14) that you'll find in the hands of other like-minded patriots. Additionally, the ammo is lighter...hence, it's easier to carry more on your person. Plus, the .223 Rem. has very good ballistics and is (generally speaking) accurate.

From a "conversion" standpoint, I'd say the Saiga .223 rifle is one of the easier models to convert, especially if you go with SureFire magazines (20-round and 30-round available). And, by the way, no bullet guide is needed with the SureFire mags.

Of course, I would be remiss not to give a shout-out to the 7.62x39 model. It would be a VERY close second choice.

Keep in mind, this recommendation is based solely on the fact that I only get to choose one of them.

Truth be told, I'm with the others here...I'd say, "Get 'em ALL!" ;)

Edited by alaj70

Stick with the commie calibers. The entire point of having these guns is to shoot them, and you won't find cheaper bulk ammo buys.

He has a large caliber rifle- 30-06. The 308 would just be semi-auto and twice as much to shoot as the other ak calibers (i'm being generous here).

He has access to a shotgun.

He IS NOT asking which is best in a post-apocalyptic situation, simply which to get. I know it's fun, but you gotta take a step away from the SHTF guys :lolol:

223 is nice, but the lack of cheap mags is a hindrance. The round is lighter to carry, has decent prices online, and it's flatter shooting with less recoil than a 7.62x39. Tapco makes some galil mags which could work on the cheap. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=51455.

7.62x39 has cheap mags, cheap ammo, and is more suited to shooting at around 100-300 yards. The recoil isn't bad, People tend to blow it out of proportion.

5.45x39 has cheap mags, cheapest ammo, and is flatter shooting with less recoil than both of the above. It's also the lightest when in a full magazine.

The mil-surp x39 rounds will generally have corrosive primers, which will require you to clean your gun after a day at the range. This is a disadvantage to some, but I just think it gives me extra incentive to take care of my things. IMO 7.62x39 is the most versatile, and 5.45x39 is the cheapest to shoot. .223 really feels like it'd be great if you already had a .223 rifle. :2c:

My reasoning is different because I'm buying first for self-defense, then hunting should that become necessary, then ammo diversity. This stated, I'm adjusting my order of purchase as a result of the current political atmosphere. Other calibers will change the order of purchase but since Saiga doesn't make them I didn't add them to the list.

Saiga list in order of purchase... most logical for my criteria:

1. 12ga

2. 20ga

3. .308

4. .22LR (maybe Saiga Korshun but probably Ruger 10/22)

5. 7.62x39

6. .223

7. 30-06 (Model 100)

8. 5.45x39