what is a tang

hi i keep reading about reciever tang and the cutting of it when looking for a new stock. i am confused if it gets in the way then why is it there in yhe first place? sorry for the noobie question. thanx

The stock tang is designed to attach the stock.

You only need to cut it off if you use one type of after market stock (not all of them).

It's the part of metal at the back of the receiver with the screw through it that holds the stock in place. If you remove the top cover you will see another screw that secures the stock. When people "cut off the tank" they are removing the portion of metal that protrudes back beyond the receiver, and only use that forward internal hole to secure the stock/stock adapter.

The Ace external stock adapter requires no modification to the tang and mounts to both of those holes. But it also spaces the stock back pretty far.

Edited by hobbyshooter

There are not any dumb questions, just dumb people...LIKE ME! Is there a set way to tell if a particular stock will need a DE-tanging?? For instance the Kavar stocks, they'll all need the tang removed then?? And normally any stock listed as "Saiga" wont??

THANX!

There are not any dumb questions, just dumb people...LIKE ME! Is there a set way to tell if a particular stock will need a DE-tanging?? For instance the Kavar stocks, they'll all need the tang removed then?? And normally any stock listed as "Saiga" wont??

THANX!

Only the Ace internal block (and it's clones [there aren't many]) require "de-tanging".

THANX!

Only the Ace internal block (and it's clones [there aren't many]) require "de-tanging".

theres alot of stocks out there that don't need a de-tanging... I bought the external block that uses the tang and have the DPS skeleton stock attached. Just depends on what stock you use. Kvars do require cutting the tang as far as I know, but theres so much coming out I wouldnt be 100% sure.

heres a link for a forum discussion on kvar http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=47530

THANX!

theres alot of stocks out there that don't need a de-tanging... I bought the external block that uses the tang and have the DPS skeleton stock attached. Just depends on what stock you use. Kvars do require cutting the tang as far as I know, but theres so much coming out I wouldnt be 100% sure.

heres a link for a forum discussion on kvar http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=47530

I don't know of any K-Var stocks that require the cutting of the tang. They're all milspec / milsurp and designed to fit a standard Kalsashnikov.

THANX!

I don't know of any K-Var stocks that require the cutting of the tang. They're all milspec / milsurp and designed to fit a standard Kalsashnikov.

Damn I confused myself.. see theres no stupid question, only stupid answers!