Primary Arms Microdot

Well rite now Im putting together a draco, and currently have the Midwest quad rail setup. The top rail is damned close to the gas tube, closer than the UTG, but not as close as the Ultimak. Im not really to concerned with co-witness but the microdot is a small unit so maybe I'll be lucky and it'll work well, with or without the co-witness. Ive heard buzz around that the AMD65 Ultimak setup will work with a draco, but Ive also seen some that are typical Ak sized tubes cut down to fit a draco. I dont think Im willing to try cutting down the ultimak, but would consider the AMD65 if it really does fit.

I've heard the same thing about the AMD65 tubes.

Funny thing is, I was looking at those RD's for the same reason (to put on the Draco).

Looks like you get to be the guinea pig on this one, LOL! I'm going to hold out on optics for the Draco until after I get a 5.45 put together. The way I see it is that the optics will probably stay around the same price, but the surplus ammo and rifles may not be this price for very long. I'll have to see what my tax return looks like.

I've got one on an Ultimak....only shot about 120 rounds, but everything worked well. They're running a special where you can get the Ultimak rail for $68 and the Microdot for $59. It's not an Aimpoint and even Marshall at Primary Arms will tell you that if your going into combat or similar life dependent situation, then get the real thing, but for the majority of us who are nothing more than range commandos they're a great option. They're not a paying sponsor so I can't post a link, but just Google Primary Arms.

Forgot to mention that they will not co-witness, even on the Ultimak. They come close, but just not quite close enough, at least on my rifle. Of course since the Saiga manufacturing variances are all over the board maybe others will get lucky. Supposedly the next version will co-witness on the AK platform.

Edited by GerryV
  • Like 1

wow... I am real surprised to hear these wont co witness..?? even with an Ultimak setup? I mean even if some get lucky with their Saiga variance, why wouldn't they produce a sight thats able to co witness.. and thats still odd considering the sight looks damned small enough to co witness. The one I purchased was shipped yesterday so Ill be able to do some reviewing by next week.

Interesting. Primary arms claims "Optional riser pictured allows for a lower 1/3 cowitness on flat top AR-15/M-16", and they also sell them in a bundle with an Ultimak tube.

.... but they never say whether they cowitness on an Ultimak. Little bit of misdirection, huh?

wow... I am real surprised to hear these wont co witness..?? even with an Ultimak setup? I mean even if some get lucky with their Saiga variance, why wouldn't they produce a sight thats able to co witness.. and thats still odd considering the sight looks damned small enough to co witness. The one I purchased was shipped yesterday so Ill be able to do some reviewing by next week.

It has nothing to do with the overall size, but rather the height of the red dot projector. You will see when you get your unit, but I'll tell you definitively right now that it will not co-witness.

:smoke:

• Like 3

I emailed Primary arms to ask them about co-witness on an ultimak regarding there microdot's and this is what I got back.

Both are the same height and both will handle the heat fine. The only problem is that the location of the LED emitter is at 6 o'clock and gets in the way of a cowitness, depending on what ak you have. You can raise your rear sight and it will cowitness fine. We will be coming out with a gen 4 and gen 5 that will have the emitter at 4 o'clock to allow for cowitness on any ak. If you order it and it doesnt cowitness we will allow you to return it. Thanks

Nick Barron

Primary Arms, LLC.

Edited by chupa

i got a "cheapo" aimpoint clone like that one a few months ago, have tried it on most of my guns - it didnt really like my 44 magnum shooting full power loads, cutting out quite frequently. It now rides on my saiga, and im most happy with it, holds zero and carries on working fine which is all i ask of a red dot tbh

I emailed Primary arms to ask them about co-witness on an ultimak regarding there microdot's and this is what I got back.

Both are the same height and both will handle the heat fine. The only problem is that the location of the LED emitter is at 6 o'clock and gets in the way of a cowitness, depending on what ak you have. You can raise your rear sight and it will cowitness fine. We will be coming out with a gen 4 and gen 5 that will have the emitter at 4 o'clock to allow for cowitness on any ak. If you order it and it doesnt cowitness we will allow you to return it. Thanks

Nick Barron

Primary Arms, LLC.

Like I said in post #9, the Red dot projector gets in the way of the co-witness. Nick is full of shit if he thinks it "depends on what AK you have". ALL AK's will block co-witness with his product. That being said, its worth the money. I recommend it to all as a cheap solution. :smoke:

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

Very cool.

I'm currently looking to replace the handguards on my new Draco and want a red dot of some kind, co-witness or not. The Microdot looks like it might work well. If anyone gets the AMD Ultimak for a Draco, please let us know if it fits OK. That's likely going to be my preferred setup.

The Midwest quad rail looks nice too, though I don't need that many rails. I don't tend to hang lasers, flashlights, bipods and such on rails anyway. A vert grip is nice sometimes, but I can't do that with the Draco without a tax stamp.

Plus, in my experience, racking the charging handle with a rail immediately in front of it tends to chew up my hand.

Corbin

• Like 1

Is that the M7-B Ultimak? Or is it the M1-B?

The M7-B is for the shorter gas tube guns like the AMD and the Draco (5.75" overall). The M1-B is for the standard AKs.

Looks pretty cool, either way.

Corbin

*Edit* Here's my Draco so far. I'll definitely want to do a setup like yours:

Draco.jpg

I forgot to put the cleaning rod in for the pic. I don't even use it though, since I can fit a bore snake in the SAW grip.

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 2

Pretty sweet!

How's that muzzle break/flash hider work for you? That's the 3 piece setup, isn't it? I hear they're pretty good. I gotta admit though, I kinda like the pumpkin sized fireballs. lol

Corbin

it is the three piece. i like it alot but it deffinenly cut down on the flameage.

OK, I can answer the question regarding Ultimaks made for the AMD, the M7-B.....

They'll fit the Draco BUT they're about 1/4" shorter than the original gas tube:

Ultimak.jpg

I called Ultimak and spoke with Dan. Really nice guy and very patient, considering he probably gets this call frequently. He assured me that a short gas tube length will not affect reliability and since the Ultimak secures to the barrel instead of the handguard retainer, having a little room for expansion would be a good thing. He referred me to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hcuVyTcITQ

Dan told me to mount the M7-B with the space divided between the front and back, but with perhaps a little less space up front, to keep carbon from flying out there. He also told me to try the M7-B out and if I didn't like it, he'd exchange it for a longer one that I could cut back, like Destroytec did.

Corbin

*EDIT* I installed the M7-B and adjusted it so that it's BARELY over the front gas tube. That leaves a gap in the back by the front trunnion though where you can see the carrier piston. This pic is made up of two that I pasted together, to show the detail:

Short.jpg

I'm pretty sure it'd operate just fine this way, but I got thinking...... this Ultimak is held in position not by the front of it slid over the gas block, or the front trunnion, but by 4 screws. That's it. If it were to get dropped, it would be more prone to rotating and getting the piston out of allignment. The opening near the front trunnion isn't a huge deal to me in terms of it getting junk in there, but the overall strength of the setup is.

I think I'll be exchanging this for the longer M1 model.

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 1

Corbin, thanks for all of the detailed pics and info!

I think when the time comes, I am going to go with a full size tube and trim it down. Not that I forsee me throwing my Draco in the sand, but I don't want the chance of sand being introduced to the gas block.

BTW, that lower hand guard looks really good in the close up pics! :super:

BTW, that lower hand guard looks really good in the close up pics! :super:

Thanks Moe

Here's a more detailed shot:

Handguard-1.jpg

A shame I probably won't keep them on the Draco once I get her set up the way I want.

Corbin

I just talked to Primary Arms. They suggested I delay my order for my Ultimak and micro till the next version gets there. The new ones mount lower and cowitness so that solves that problem. The sights are in country at customs and will be here next week. Almost to the end of the bolt on portion of my fist build. Exciting!

Got the M1-B Ultimak today, along with an AMD forend. Cut the M1 back a bit and dremeled out the end to fit over the front sight base. Nice and snug now. It's not moving.

end.jpg

UltimakM1.jpg

Still gotta get a red dot sight.

Corbin

OK as of today the revised Primary Arms Micro Dot can Co-Witness! They just got a new shippment in according to a mass email they sent out. This is the best low cost optic available.

<Non-Buisness member Link Removed>

Edited by Nailbomb
Remove Link