• 2 weeks later...

No bullet guide needed or mods to the mag catch with the ak74 mags I have. It is the only ones I have tried and they lock in and feed perfect. I just got back from the range with 500 rds through 6 mags and all ran flawless. $14.95

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-359/AK74-Bulgarian-5.45x39-Magazine/Detail

Good price on the mags too, are they Russian plums that have been sanitized? $15 bucks is a good deal.

Z

If they are actual Bulgy arsenal mags thats a great price. If they are the sanitized plums then thats not a good price.

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 1

I bought them as surplus black bulgarian. They work flawless without mods to the gun. No bullet guide needed.

I put this together last night. It is a really fun gun to shoot cheaply.

post-9063-12655046137546_thumb.jpg

Greg. Looks like mine abit there BUDDY.. Lol 021.gif

I saw yours and it looked great so I made one. I really like the Dark Earth furniture. I guess that is why I have all the colors for sale now.

• 3 weeks later...

Mart.. Most regular AK furniture will fit the 5.45x39 Saiga also IF you have converted it back to have a pistol-grip and such..

Otherwise you can only swap the handguard for one like mine... CSS has them for like $42 in both black and Dark Earth colors...

See my rifle on LEFT <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hey,

Anyone tried the latest AK74 mag from Tapco? It's $15.99 suggested retail and all US made. I wonder how well they work in a Saiga 5.45x39? OK I know it's a buck more than the mil surplus but it is all 922r compliant!

http://www.tapco.com/products/ak_modern/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=51

Can one of our supporting vendors try it and let us know?

How about CSS?

Frosty

May have to try one in my Tantal

:unsure:

Hey,

Anyone tried the latest AK74 mag from Tapco? It's $15.99 suggested retail and all US made. I wonder how well they work in a Saiga 5.45x39? OK I know it's a buck more than the mil surplus but it is all 922r compliant!

http://www.tapco.com/products/ak_modern/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=51

Can one of our supporting vendors try it and let us know?

How about CSS?

Frosty

May have to try one in my Tantal

:unsure:

Just curious, but, presuming your gun doesn't need more American parts for 922r compliance, why would you want a magazine that's more expensive and inferior at the same time?

I don't, just posting to inform others on the Saiga Forum.

Also just good to know there's domestic supply if the surplus stuff dries up! The deal you and I got may not last and this is just a buck more than the typical "going" rate at most sites.

What I really want to know as I'm in line for a Saiga 5.45x39 is if it fits and if it works without a bullet guide? Don't worry, I'll get the guide as soon as possible due to all the mil surp mags I have.

:blues:

Found 2 places at less than $14 for the Tapco MAG0631 (AK74 mags). I don't like the look of them myself..

But I do agree on the 3 US part thing.

I'd rather go with the look of a Promag (PMAKA6) for $13-15 and still get my US parts count if need be.. Of course they didn't get any good reviews either..009.gif

Edited by YWHIC--OutOfLine

Found 2 places at less than $14 for the Tapco MAG0631 (AK74 mags). I don't like the look of them myself..

But I do agree on the 3 US part thing.

I'd rather go with the look of a Promag (PMAKA6) for $13-15 and still get my US parts count if need be.. Of course they didn't get any good reviews either..009.gif

I'd use a Tapco before a ProMag. At least with the Tapco, I'd feel reasonably confident that it would feed mostly reliably, and I wouldn't feel guilty giving my money to them rather than a bunch of shysters. That said, these drop tests were a bit eye-opening:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/pages.php?pageid=15

(Scroll down past the first set of videos).

At least the Tapco mags passed one test than the ProMags, but they both suck next to the circle 10s.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I got 2 Bulgy AK74 surplus mags for $14.95/each from CSS. They are both clean and circle 21/10 marked.

I got 2 Bulgy AK74 from AIM for $10/each are scratched up with no markings other then stickers that say 'made in bulgaria'.

post-8775-12678363871434_thumb.jpg

They are almost 99.9% the same as the Circle 10's I got from CSS, but again scratched up to hell.

Functionality they are the same. Once I get the damn stickers off I may feel better.

Toss up on the AIM vs. CSS vs. Centerf...

The bulgy's without markings are sanitized russian mags. Can't beat em, especially for the price.

I don't see where Tapco has any reason to be considered against a surplus mag even if it's a little cheaper...there is no comparison between Tapco, Promag and surplus mags. Surplus mags win hands down.

Z

I was testing out my 4 Bulgy mags (steel lined poly) and realize that a BGuide is necessary for 100% performance.

One of the surplus mags I ordered have a LOWER sitting follower that doesn't pick up the last round in the mag, and that my friends is the 1% rule I don't want to have to deal with myself.... The other 3 hand functioned fine but the last round FTF is annoying.

I just got my DZ 5.45 bullet guide kit in-hand (with 2 taps 021.gif ) and will be putting in tonight/tommorrow.

If all goes well I may order 4 more mags and be 'set' at 8 for this.. I got almost 12 mags for my Saiga-47.

I've got 4 Izhmash surplus mags and just bought 2 of the Tapco 30 rounders. The Tapcos are heavy waffle bodies, fit perfectly in my gun with a Dinzag bullet guide and both fed flawlessly at the range today. The Izhmash work fine, and I've run several full loads through each without a hitch, but the Tapcos are 3 US compliance parts and the Izmash are 1 compliance part (I've replaced the baseplates and have followers coming, so they will be 2 compliance parts each soon).