new saiga 24 inch shotgun

Hello new to the forum and saiga shotguns. I just bought a new 24 inch shotgun ( wanted to use it for clay piegons and small game) reading on the forum that there may be issues with 12 gauge shotguns with only 2 ports . I think mine only has 2 ports , havent had time to shoot it yet. Does anyone have any info on this issue and if it does have a problem would a new gas plug help me . Thanks for any info

Congrats! I've got two holes in mine...and in most 24"ers I believe. Mine runs great. You'll want to run a few hundred rounds through it to break it in.

I like Gunfixr's plug due to ease of use (don't need tools to adjust it)and for the two extra settings.

I've used mine on pheasant and waterfowl. Love it!

P1060204.jpg

First off one of the business members here does all the warrenty work and it is all free so don't worry about that. Second, I THINK that the longer barreled guns have 2 ports normally but could be wrong. And lastly I would recommend that you go out and break it in with some good high brass rounds or slugs then get some Remmington (not winchester) value pack from wallmart and see if the function on the 2 setting.

Hello new to the forum and saiga shotguns. I just bought a new 24 inch shotgun ( wanted to use it for clay piegons and small game) reading on the forum that there may be issues with 12 gauge shotguns with only 2 ports . I think mine only has 2 ports , havent had time to shoot it yet. Does anyone have any info on this issue and if it does have a problem would a new gas plug help me . Thanks for any info

You are fine, 2 ports is perfectly normal for a 24" barreled Saiga 12. It is the 19" barreled Saiga 12s that are supposed to have 3 ports (a few were even made with 4 ports), and which have cycling problems if they were instead made with just 2 ports (these are the so called 'vodka specials').

In case you were wondering why the 24" and 19" barreled Saiga 12s have a different number of ports, it has to do with the distance the end of the barrel is from the gas block, and getting the optimal amount of gas to the piston (inside the gas block). If too little gas reaches the piston then there can be cycling problems. If too much gas reaches the piston then the bolt carrier cycles with too much velocity and hits the rear of the receiver too hard, causing needless and excessive wear and tear that will actually damage the Saiga 12 in the long term. How much gas reaches the gas piston depends on the distance the end of the barrel is from the gas block (the greater the distance the more time gas has to get vented from the barrel to the gas block), as well as of course the number and diameter of gas ports. So a 19" barreled Saiga 12 has three gas ports because if it had less then it might have trouble cycling. Whereas a 24" barreled Saiga 12 has just two gas ports, because more gas ports would make it overgassed, causing its bolt carrier to cycle back with too much velocity.

Edited by Frogfoot