Here is the gas tube I bought - http://www.gunsnstuffonline.com/index.aspx...niqueid=4088622

b_58_22.jpg

With it on Saiga, the bolt wont close all the way; almost but not all the way.

I have found that the part of the bolt carrier right behind the gas piston "pin" is rubbing in the gas tube where it goes from being round tube to the area that is "ridged" (if that makes sense). This ridged / crimped area is a longer area on this gas tube than on the original Saiga.

Is there anything I can do? It only needs to go into the tub about a 1/4 inch more so the bolt will be closed.

I hope someone can understand my babble.... i do believe I have confused myslef trying to explain it.

Edited by racerboy6996
Here is the gas tube I bought - http://www.gunsnstuffonline.com/index.aspx...niqueid=4088622

b_58_22.jpg

With it on Saiga, the bolt wont close all the way; almost but not all the way.

I have found that the part of the bolt carrier right behind the gas piston "pin" is rubbing in the gas tube where it goes from being round tube to the area that is "ridged" (if that makes sense). This ridged / crimped area is a longer area on this gas tube than on the original Saiga.

Is there anything I can do? It only needs to go into the tub about a 1/4 inch more so the bolt will be closed.

I hope someone can understand my babble.... i do believe I have confused myslef trying to explain it.

Use a file. Remove as little as possible all around the area that makes contact. Unless your gas tube is really unusual it shouldn't need much stock removal. If you are uncomfortable doing that send the gas tube back and get one from elsewere. I've used those tubes on more than one conversion and never have encountered the problem that you are having.

Swordfish

i wasnt sure if it was a problem with this gas tube or if the area of the bolt carrier where it connects to the gas piston is larger on the .308

I will probably try the file idea, i have already had to return a scope to FAC/guns-n-stuff and i am not happy with the customer service i received during the return process.

Yeah, well you shouldn't have believed them when it came to doing a handstand on your crotch rocket @ 80mph. :P

AK-74 tubes should work without problems, yours appears to be a no-name generic piece though. I know several people have ordered ones from Kvar without incident.

FWIW, alot of the AK's are a bit "snaggy" at the point were the carrier/piston junction travels thru the rear of the gas tube (the wear can be seen if you look close).

If it does not stop things (usually does not) it will tend to wear in. This is often what the bolt holding to the rear trait of the SAR's is caused by (if SLOWLY hand cycled to a stall).

Since I've noticed this, I've polished a few light contact areas on my AK gas tubes -makes me feel bettter if nothing else.

Lollygagger :unsure: (BTW, gas tubes can have alot of small deminsional differences between them -they don't alway interchange well.)

the spot where the bolt carrier is hitting the gas tube is to far inside for me to get the dremel bit to work.

It is not actually the gas piston hitting, it is the bolt carrier.... looks like i will be the proud owner of a gas tube i cant use....

so it is now official, nothing i got from FAC labeled AK47 worked for me.....

:(

oh well time to buy another gas tube

the spot where the bolt carrier is hitting the gas tube is to far inside for me to get the dremel bit to work.

It is not actually the gas piston hitting, it is the bolt carrier.... looks like i will be the proud owner of a gas tube i cant use....

so it is now official, nothing i got from FAC labeled AK47 worked for me.....

:(

oh well time to buy another gas tube

It's strange...I gotten a lot of stuff from FAC and it's worked just fine. When I did have to speak with them, the customer service was great. I fact the worst, by far was from KVAR. It was a defect with a new rifle that I had ordered from them. When I called about sending it back for a replacement, The "lady I spoke with told me I was wrong and that that it was impossible for a SAM-7 to have a problem because it was inspected 3 times before it left the factory. IMPOSSIBLE she said... I think, ..she didn't speak english very well.