What size shot makes the most efficient use of the space...

...in the shotshell? Am I right in thinking that double-ought makes for a more compact load (in 3-ball layers) than does triple-ought?

Correct, the smaller the shot pellet the less empty space between the individual shot pellets when they are stacked into the shotshell, and so smaller diameter buckshot pellets are more space efficient. However this is more a technical advantage than a practical one, since usually for a given shell length the total weight of buckshot that can be put in it will be about the same regardless of what size of buckshot is used. Though if for whatever reason you want just a particular number of buckshot pellets in your shotshell and are unconcerned with the buckshot size or total weight of the shot, then of course a smaller size of buckshot would enable the same number of pellets to be used while reducing the overall shell length.

Edited by Frogfoot

1 buck was given the best results in a few different ballistics tests. 4 buck followed in 2nd.

I've played with Winchester super X 3" magnum 1 buck, Remington 3" magnum 4 buck, and Nobelsport 2-34" "L.E." 4 buck.

The Remington is a great ammo. They seal the star crimp and it patterns well. The 3" mag shell has 41 pellets in each shell so an AGP loaded up with it is 410 projectiles. However, several people have experienced magazine failures with 3" high brass shells do the harsh recoil and the added weight of the shot. The next shot I buy will be Remington 2-3/4" 1 buck to see if it fits in the MD drum. The 3" will not.

The Winchester Super-X 1 buck is 24 pellet. It works well, but they don't seal the star crimp very well. They simply heat stake it which leaves an inconsistent piece of melted plastic in the middle of the crimp. Many of the shells I bought were melted through and leaked suspension media. This could potentially leak into a loaded mag and jam up the follower. I won't even bother trying this in 2-3/4". This won't fit in the MD drum either

The 2-3/4" nobelsport 4 buck impressed me for the price. It's a roll crimp though so there is a lot of extra plastic on the end of the shell. It wont fit in the MD drum, in fact it's almost as long as the 3" Magnum star crimp shells. This stuff kicks hard, has a very high brass ring, and patterns well. I've tried the poly choke cranked down to full with it and liked the results. Out of 5 rounds shot pretty rapidly the pattern was under 12" at about 10 yards. Each shell is 27 pellet.

...in the shotshell? Am I right in thinking that double-ought makes for a more compact load (in 3-ball layers) than does triple-ought?

Your wrong in your thinking. Sure 3x3 is shorter than 4x2, but it all fits into a shell that's either 2 3/4 or 3" long. The difference is made up in the wad, it is made with a length to fit the intended load. Look at the Aguila loads. They put a 00 buck round into a shell less than 2" long. they just won't function in all guns.