I won the small lottery today

Man I got lucky today. I'm getting ready to convert and mod my Saiga 12 and I want to do it up a little different. Plan on giving it a Galil make over (folding stock,pistol grip, and hand made Galil ARM handguard. Long story short, I picked up a complete Galil folding stock from FAC of America for $30, and a 1" rubber recoil pad from ACE $13=complete bad ass folding stock $43. These are well worn as far as looks go, but are functionally solid. I had mine in peices in about 30 minutes to inspect and get ready to convert and refinish. For the beginer it's a P.I.T.A., but if your a machinist or tinkerer it's worth the time to me. I take an inch off the tubes and you have to make a custom receiver block to fit the AK style receiver (there's a 5 degree difference in the back of the receivers), but the Galil stock has a good cheek weld for a folder and locks dead solid.

Here's one on a WASR project that I did. The first is the general look I'm going for on the 12.

post-1866-1112150695_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm

Hey johnnymceldoo,

Do you mean SAW pistol grip that Tapco's selling with their Galil look-a-like kit, or does Tapco sell a Galil pistol grip? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to track one down. ACE is out of stock (they have it made for them, no expected date for new stock and some kind of trouble with the family over there). I found one place that has them, but they have a $20 min order, with the only other item I would consider to bring my order up I'm looking at $50 + shipping (just so I can get a $16 pistol grip, probably not). If you haven't shot the Molly Resin yet, that's what I used on my WASR, stuff works and looks great in my opinion. I used the semi gloss, the only thing I have any issues with is that it looks slightly metalic rather than pure black up close.

Good luck, Mark

Call FAC, I ran accross one on one of the on line auctions, when I emailed them to make sure the tubes weren't bent or dented, a guy named Harlan told me they had several of them. I think they're take offs from demilled South American guns.

The stock is slightly different from my IMI gen 2. When I pulled the tubes off the stock end of the claw, it didn't have the solid plugs that the Gen 2 has and it has the solid aluminim butt plate (no rubber recoil pad, but I think I can mill it down and put a 1" ACE pad on it). The receiver side of the latching claw looks to have been cast rather than formed. These things must have seen a lot of use, most of the paint is gone, but if you take it apart, sand blast and refinish, I think they'll look and function just like new.

This is the email address for the guy I contacted, it sounded like they had quite a few late last week.

harlan@facamerica.com

Good stuff, where did you pick up the flash hider.......

hehehehehe

LB

+1 :lolol::lolol::lolol:

That's classified. Johnny Mac's the only man in the world that can get those. If he told ya he'd have to... :unsure::lolol:

I have mentioned this before... but I have two of those ebay FH's... one like that, one with the holes... BOTH are EXCELLENT quality.

I dont have one of Jmceldoos to compare to... but his are certainly more STYLISH and customized to the hilt....

you get what ya pay for... simple... or exotic... either way, you cant go wrong...

:smoke:

Edited by IndyArms
the best way to stop the increasing prices of mags due to godknows who pays that much for the mags, is to just report all the stuff for sale to ebay. they dont allow the saiga shotguns in california, so they dont allow the mags to be sold. I also think there is some price fixing involved with some of those auctions, anyhow.

Wow, I had come real close to almost respecting you. So when you go into a store that is too expensive for you but you want their stuff anyway do you set off the sprinklers to get it at a discount? Hey, if you can't afford to use your firearms sell them to those who can, or maybe have a job that doesn't give you 24/7 right to obsess about one type of gun all day, every day.

This site was helpful while doing my conversions but now I'm finding it to be an annoying bastion of petulant, self-absorbed whiners at home with their obsession and misery. You guys should realize that there is a wide world of AK's out there with cheap mags and DIMPLES!

This site was helpful while doing my conversions but now I'm finding it to be an annoying bastion of petulant, self-absorbed whiners at home with their obsession and misery. You guys should realize that there is a wide world of AK's out there with cheap mags and DIMPLES!

FUNNY.... thats just about the SAME EXACT THING I was saying to bvamp in chat the other day... not QUITE as aptly put in those words.... but just about the same thing....

I think I was bitching in my words about the whining, the paranoia, and the lack of anything worth reading anymore.....

:smoke:

Why shouldn't they? They merely facilitate the relationship between the buyer and the seller. Maybe you failed economics or need to take a refresher course. This is still a free market economy and supply is always driven by demand, whether it is an artificially created demand such as new Playstations or a real one Sumatran coffee beans.

As far as the moral implications of an inflated price, this isn't a medical necessity or food commodity. People who can afford a boat own a boat, if they can afford two new cars, boat, swimming pool and a house earned those items by one way or another. I've noticed that the "have-nots" that begrudge the "halves" generally lack the same drive and work ethic that it takes to be successful. I don't know you personally Bvamp, so this is by no means a personal attack but you are really starting to sound just like the type of person I'm describing. I hope this is not the case and my perceptions are merely erroneous.

And again a good thread has gone to crap and off topic, sorry guys. I'll refrain from posting on this board ever again.

yeh, i chucked what i said because it was forcing guys to react in a negative way to me and that impresses that this forum should be reacted to in such a manner as well...

pissing people off wasnt my intent, nor was my intention to make anybody think i dont understand economics. the thing is that I do understand economics quite well, and there are a couple of ways of legally bringing prices back down. that was my intention by my posts about the mag price issue, nothing more.

I was refering to the hand gaurd only. I used moly resin on my shotty too. Its the flat grayish black color they sell that mimics colt preban AR's. Ive always liked that color.

265898.jpg

I was also thinking about the Galil-style forend. What is that grey band in front? How did the fastening go? Any special attachments or mods to get it on?

Thanks

WTF, talk about when posts go bad. All I wanted to do was let a few of you with some skills and access to the right tools, know that there were some cheap, complete Galil folding stocks to be had. Not little wires, or AK74 folders, but good solid folding stocks that fold to the right, away from the scope/sight mounting rail.

Cheap-not $180.

Anyone stupid enough to pay $100+ for mags knows that they do it at their own risk, or just have enough cash to do so without fretting about it. If they drive up the market price, that's what happens. Kind of like over priced tech stocks a few years ago before the bottom dropped out. Unless more are released or made by someone, or there's a general decission made that $100 is too much for a friggen peice of plastic......your safe. If your line of work requires that your stocked, do it.

If you look at it like an investment, sooner or later your probably going to be fucked........ :haha:

Geeeeez, I jacked my own post

oh yea, HeHeHe my ass (I'm really not sure what all the laughing was about, I may be a dumas?) :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Edited by 6500rpm