Ammunition

Took my New Saiga 12(converted) to the indoor range for our first outing. They require slugs there so I bought the 2 3/4" Rifled Slugs. Shot 25 rounds and recoil is much more than I thought after watching numerous Youtube videos. I'm 6'2" 280 and don't consider myself weak, but the recoil was harsh. Any recommendations on Ammo etc.... I was slow with follow-up shops due to muzzle flip.

Thanks

if you were firing those slugs with the gas setting on #2 that would explain why the recoil is harsh.

If you were on setting #1 maybe look for some sort of reduced recoil LE slugs? I don't know if they even make those...

Limbsaver?

Welcome to the forum.

I shot 10 thru each setting. Definitely less kick on "1". Wondering what the little guys in the you tube videos are shooting. No muzzle flip and much faster.

I'll go back to the gym

LOL!

Most guys ripping off a drum as fast as they can pull the trigger are shooting the Federal value pack stuff you get at Walmart.

Holding down 3" slugs is pretty tough. Bvamp sent me a vid from the Florida Saiga shoot when he did just that. 12 rounds full auto on "The Beast" (which belongs to CGW). Needless to say, I was impressed. :killer:

*Edit to fix "CDW" to read "CGW":blush:

Edited by Moe Zambeak

I shot 10 thru each setting. Definitely less kick on "1". Wondering what the little guys in the you tube videos are shooting. No muzzle flip and much faster.

I'll go back to the gym

Slugs tend to get kind of expensive... The guns in the videos have been tuned to shoot just about anything. When you are putting 20 rounds downrange in less than four seconds, ammo costs can add up quickly. Federal bulk pack at about .20 a round is a lot easier on the wallet than slugs at $1 to $1.50 a shell.

You can get your gun professionally tuned up to do what you want it to do. It will cost a fair amount of money to get the work done, but if you like to shoot a lot, your ammo savings will pay for the performance upgrades pretty quickly.

WS

• Like 3

Bought this gun for self defense on advice of attorney. It has Tapco stock, pistol grip and a SIG Stop light front hand grip. Just want to keep better on target and shoot faster. Don't plan on using often with less than a size 4 shot. Any thoughts on getting mercury tube in tapco and then putting Kickeez pad on end? How about muzzle brake?

Thanks for input so far.

Its hard to get someone who has used enough muzzle breaks to have a really well balanced opinion on what works best. It gets worse with new ones coming out every day.

I own a polychoke, a warthog and a wave break. the poly choke increases recoil, the warthog reduces. You'll notice the difference most with really heavy loads(turky/goose)

Bought this gun for self defense on advice of attorney. It has Tapco stock, pistol grip and a SIG Stop light front hand grip. Just want to keep better on target and shoot faster. Don't plan on using often with less than a size 4 shot. Any thoughts on getting mercury tube in tapco and then putting Kickeez pad on end? How about muzzle brake?

Thanks for input so far.

To keep it on target and cycling faster, you need less recoil which translates into a lighter load. Rio Royal 2 3/4" 00 buck offers and excellent balance of payload, and power.

Tuning generally means getting the gas system thoroughly worked over and having the internals refined to reduce friction and enhance cycling.

"Outside in" engineering will work to an extent -- but beyond that, you may want to look into getting your gun tuned to do what it was intended to do without all of the aftermarket magic that may or may not allow you to accomplish your goals for your gun.

Good luck!

WS

• Like 1

You should be shooting those on setting 1, for the record. I have been using Winchester Super X 00 buck and slugs, in both 3" and 2 3/4". Great ammo, and great price (at walmart and cabelas) although it IS dirty as hell...I've still got lead to scrub out.