We have a working prototype magwell for the Saiga 308. The magwell will work with readily available high capacity magazines that cost less than $20 each. Once our manufacturer's patent is approved, we will be posting pictures.

To follow our progress, please send us an email to be added to our waiting list.

My link

• 2 months later...

The magazine works with the HK G3. We have a working prototype, but we are trying to get final pricing. The magwell is labor intensive and is recommended to be installed by a gunsmith, but can be done at home by the average DIYer. We will be posting more information within a couple weeks.

quote name='Sir5' date='13 April 2010 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1271171089' post='497272']

Cool. I'm assuming G3 mags?

That'd be cool.

Okay, I asked, and it turns out the magwell DOES use g3 mags.

• 3 months later...

We have a working prototype, but it is pretty labor intensive. Right now the model that we would only recommend that the magwell be installed by a dealer. Until the manufacturer can make one that is easy enough for the average do it yourselfer to install, we are not going to release it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am not speaking for nor do I speak for MAA

Not to speak for MAA on this, but I looked into a mod like this as well. I had come across a few posts where guys said they pulled this mod off and living in a state, still following the old AWB, thought this would be a good option for cheap pre-ban hi-cap mags.

My findiing was that the G3 Mags are 1.160 wide. 3.060 long.

The mag opening is 1.110 wide 3.275 Long

The problem is that on the Sagia mags the mag well pinches at the leading edge (front 1.250") from 1.110 to .810. In order to get the G3 to fit the front of the existing mag well will have to be opened up more than 1/4 " and remove part of the trunion. This will probably remove 2 rivets that help hold the trunion and receiver together and may weaken the trunion.

At this point you have several problems from a sales standpoint.

1) From a safety stand point you are removing a significant amount of material from the trunion which could weaken it. Knowing MAA I think this alone is enough to hault the progress.

2) The DIY nature of most common Saiga modifications is gone requireing machine shop / gun smithing skills beyond the scope of the common upgrade. See MAAs last post.

3) The cost to produce the part + the modification to the gun (if we subtract the safety concerns) makes the modification an expensive proposition. If I am looking at a gun that costs 500$+- and mag well that runs 100$+- and a modification that could run in the hundreds an AR-10 is looking pretty good. At the very least you can buy a lot of commonly available mags that will not reqire extensive mods to allow them to work.

Some of the problems could be solved say making the magwell out of steel and then having it welded to add strength but will also add weight, cost and complexity.

Please note that I do not speak for MAA and these were my findings. My guess is that MAA found the same to be true. I hope that MAA can find a way around this as well but I am not sure there is an easy solution. If I have spoken out of turn please feel free to delete the post and accept my apology.

Edited by jaymce

I am not speaking for nor do I speak for MAA

Not to speak for MAA on this, but I looked into a mod like this as well. I had come across a few posts where guys said they pulled this mod off and living in a state, still following the old AWB, thought this would be a good option for cheap pre-ban hi-cap mags.

My findiing was that the G3 Mags are 1.160 wide. 3.060 long.

The mag opening is 1.110 wide 3.275 Long

The problem is that on the Sagia mags the mag well pinches at the leading edge (front 1.250") from 1.110 to .810. In order to get the G3 to fit the front of the existing mag well will have to be opened up more than 1/4 " and remove part of the trunion. This will probably remove 2 rivets that help hold the trunion and receiver together and may weaken the trunion.

At this point you have several problems from a sales standpoint.

1) From a safety stand point you are removing a significant amount of material from the trunion which could weaken it. Knowing MAA I think this alone is enough to hault the progress.

2) The DIY nature of most common Saiga modifications is gone requireing machine shop / gun smithing skills beyond the scope of the common upgrade. See MAAs last post.

3) The cost to produce the part + the modification to the gun (if we subtract the safety concerns) makes the modification an expensive proposition. If I am looking at a gun that costs 500$+- and mag well that runs 100$+- and a modification that could run in the hundreds an AR-10 is looking pretty good. At the very least you can buy a lot of commonly available mags that will not reqire extensive mods to allow them to work.

Some of the problems could be solved say making the magwell out of steel and then having it welded to add strength but will also add weight, cost and complexity.

Please note that I do not speak for MAA and these were my findings. My guess is that MAA found the same to be true. I hope that MAA can find a way around this as well but I am not sure there is an easy solution. If I have spoken out of turn please feel free to delete the post and accept my apology.

this is the problem i ran into. Fal mags would be the better choice as they arent as wide in the front.

I think this issue is more of a pre-ban issue or for folks in MA,NY,etc. MAA has a bunch of high cap mags available from 3-25 rounds if you do not live in a free state. The only benefit at this point would be a non-rock and lock mag install and the ability to use real cheap 20 round mags. My guess is that you could get a bunch of 20 round mags for what a conversion to G-3 mags would cost completed, if it can be figured out.

The Saiga 308 G3 magwell has been created and it works flawlessly. The process is labor intensive and requires quite a bit of the Saiga 308 magwell being removed. We were going to offer it as a direct to gunsmiths only because some welding might be required. After a year of promises to have it made for us, the shop that designed the product for us is no longer making gun parts. The product had been made and can be made, but we will not be selling the one that they designed for us. If jaymce wants to design it, there are hundreds of people wanting the product who will probably purchase it.