Need help Iding a rifle.

oh so its not a saiga at all then?? i bought it from one of the gunshops in town. came with the stock and everything, figured it could be a saiga cause it only takes a single stack clip like from what ive heard saiga use.

All saiga rifles feed from a double stack magazine.

You might be thinking of sks single stack stripper clips.

msks1000.jpg

• Like 1

oh so its not a saiga at all then?? i bought it from one of the gunshops in town. came with the stock and everything, figured it could be a saiga cause it only takes a single stack clip like from what ive heard saiga use.

You mean a single-stack magazine of course. ;) I'm pretty sure that your rifle can currently only accept single-stack mags due to import restrictions.. similar to the way Romanian WASR's are imported before Century opens up their magwells once they arrive in the states.

So... if I were you, I'd read up very carefully on the correct dimensions to enlarge your magwell to, (you don't want to open it up too much, or you'll have serious mag-wobble), and then do it yourself with something like a dremel, or even a file if you're patient enough and want to get it perfect. Your other option is to find a competent gunsmith who's familiar enough with AK's to do a good job.

If you do it yourself, you'll want to measure very carefully, mark the desired new dimensions on the receiver, and then slowly enlarge the magwell.. testing standard AK mil-spec, (double-stack), mags as you go, so that you don't overdo it.

That's a beautiful rifle, by the way. :up: Afaik, they're much more rare than Saigas.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

The way your rifle is right now, it will only accept mags made especially for these single-stack imports, (Zastavas and WASRs). I'm not sure how common these are, (never had a use for em), or how much they cost.

Imo it'd be easier to just enlarge your magwell enough to accept standard mil-surp, (double-stack), steel 30-round AK mags, which are extremely tough, reliable, common, and cheap.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

The way your rifle is right now, it will only accept mags made especially for these single-stack imports, (Zastavas and WASRs). I'm not sure how common these are, (never had a use for em), or how much they cost.

Imo it'd be easier to just enlarge your magwell enough to accept standard mil-surp, (double-stack), steel 30-round AK mags, which are extremely tough, reliable, common, and cheap.

And...

non sporting, which brings up everyones favorite hoopjump... 922r. Its not a matter of just opening up a magwell, its doing it in a way that isnt illegal.

Congrats to OP on the rifle though, ive heard nothing but great things about them, and love most everything that comes out of Zastava. That rifle is on my list. (as long as the list is)

You should be able to buy mags directly from the importer.

Inquiries:

EAA

P.O. Box 560746

Rockledge, FL 32956-0746

Voice:

Tel. (321) 639-4842

Fax: (321) 639-7006

Edited by ReverendFranz

Looking at other pics online i think superhawk is right...

now to find someone who changed furnature...

If you are thinking of mounting it on a saiga, you would be in for some modifications, to say the least. The Yugo stocks mount to a flat rear trunnion with a bolt running through the rear of the stock, with no tang. If you were to replace the trunnion with a yugo trunion, you could do it, but the PAP is slant cut, as well, so theres no guarantee you wouldnt still have to mod something on the stock or rifle.

so i called EAA just a little while ago, and they quoted 45 for individual mags and 30 each if i order 2 or more, is that a good price?

Thats highway robbery. You can get get mil spec surplus 30 round capacity AK mags for $10 or less. 2 mags may not be enough either. More is better. I am just getting started collecting quality magazines and if there is ever another major ban on these many people are going to wish they stocked up back when they were cheap and easy to find.

33c1191.jpg

Edited by my762buzz

so i called EAA just a little while ago, and they quoted 45 for individual mags and 30 each if i order 2 or more, is that a good price?

Thats about standard, if not a decent deal, for New, OEM, proprietary magazines. You may be able to find a single stack WASR mag used for less, but i dont know if it will fit or not.

As was mentioned, repeatedly, you also have the option of converting the rifle to use doublestack magazines, but it is a little bit of elbow grease, and requires the changing of other parts in order to maintain 922r compliance. Its really up to you, and the cost/benefit would mostly depend on how many magazines you wish to purchase.

Looking at other pics online i think superhawk is right...

now to find someone who changed furnature...

If you are thinking of mounting it on a saiga, you would be in for some modifications, to say the least. The Yugo stocks mount to a flat rear trunnion with a bolt running through the rear of the stock, with no tang. If you were to replace the trunnion with a yugo trunion, you could do it, but the PAP is slant cut, as well, so theres no guarantee you wouldnt still have to mod something on the stock or rifle.

Its plastic and metal, how hard could it be?

If someone has one they wanna let go of, send them to me!

LOL I rymed...

The folks over at www.akfiles.com can assist with info on opening up the magazine to accept double stack mags. It's not very difficult. If you believe 922 ® applies to individuals not just manufacturers you will need to replace several parts with U.S. made stuff. Easiest is fire control group (3 parts), gas piston (1) and front grips (1).

I strongly advise replacing parts as it's better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1