Pretty basic, I've been thinking of an alternative carbine since I've gotten rid of everything in the 5.56 NATO platform. I've never really been keen on pistol caliber carbines but with the possibility to load up a 220gr 10mm bullet to almost 2000fps and about 1750ft/lbs it intrigues me enough to want to know more. Basically all I know is that they weigh about 4 and a half lbs empty, you can break them down to a very small size and they seem to be made of pretty simple construction (easy to break down and clean) and are able to be broken down without any tools.

If you have one of these from FeatherUSA in 10mm and could give me any more info that would be great!

Thanks,

YARP

I like the concept of a 10mm Carbine a lot, and I have seen the FeatherUSA in .22RF and thought it was a decent piece from this causal inspection. That said, their website is one of the most atrocious I have seen on the modern Internet.

Also, the 10mm, even in carbine form, is in no way realistically a replacement for the .223.

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 2

I like the concept of a 10mm Carbine a lot, and I have seen the FeatherUSA in .22RF and thought it was a decent piece from this causal inspection. That said, their website is one of the most atrocious I have seen on the modern Internet.

Also, the 10mm, even in carbine form, is in no way realistically a replacement for the .223.

Totally agree, there website could be a good reason why not to many are being sold.

As far as replacing the .223/5.56NATO, that wasn't my goal. I'm talking 100m, although at 200m this thing is still zipping along at decent amounts of energy. Anything beyond that I'll stick to .308 :super:

On a side note the only pistol caliber carbine that I've ever wanted to own was a Thompson sub gun, there's an interesting read here http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/PSharpe1.html which states a much longer range then I ever imagined for the .45ACP.

• Like 1

Definately, a true statement. You cant shoot poodles with 10mm, 10mm is a deer round... haha.

I think i found the problem with the website.

We highly recommend that you leave a message or email questions to Featherawi@aol.com

Its always September somewhere on the net.

Edited by ReverendFranz

As far as replacing the .223/5.56NATO, that wasn't my goal. I'm talking 100m, although at 200m this thing is still zipping along at decent amounts of energy. Anything beyond that I'll stick to .308 :super:

Then you will not be disipointed. I have thought of rechambering my Uzi to 10mm for some time, as a second caliber. I love the 10mm!

On a side note the only pistol caliber carbine that I've ever wanted to own was a Thompson sub gun, there's an interesting read here http://www.saf.org/L...s/PSharpe1.html which states a much longer range then I ever imagined for the .45ACP.

The Thompson is not a long range firearm, I don't care what they say. I have fired one quite a bit, and they will not reliably penetrate a 55 gallon drum at 100 yards, may loads will not do it at 50 yards.

• Like 2

Definately, a true statement. You cant shoot poodles with 10mm, 10mm is a deer round... haha.

Despite your knee jerk statement otherwise, and admitting its flaws, the .233 rifle has killed way more deer, and more people, then the 10mm. Now tell me that this is not so.

And as I have said, I love the 10mm!

• Like 2

Of course, it was a joke playing on stereotypes/nicknames. Though, I would be curious to find out which one has shot more poodles. I don't think i would be wrong on that one.

It was not my intent to bust your balls, on this one anyway, but I have several 10mm, .223 and 308 firearms each, and each one has a purpose. It has become so popular to bash the .223 that we forget and diminish the fact that it does have a purpose and inside its design parameters, it works pretty well. That purpose is to carry and deliver a lot of ammo out to thin skinned targets out to a max of 300 meters, accurately, by people that I would not classify as Riflemen.

The pistol is a superior weapon to the knife. Like very weapon, or tool, once you get inside/outside its interval of attack, or design intent, it begins to fail pretty terriblely. Which is one of the reasons why people with guns, particularly rifles, have been killed by people with knives, up close.

I find that my sized 17 boot quite adequate for dealing with poodles.

• Like 1

Well didn't this turn in a different direction!?!?!? LOL! you guys were really busy early this morning! I'm not downing the .223 I just don't really like it, never have. I don't own anything in the AR platform anymore and don't plan too, I have had way to many reliability issues in the AR platform and maybe that's why .223/5.56 NATO and I don't get along.

I really wouldn't be using this carbine out beyond 100m to 150m (yes Azrial I agree the Thompson shouldn't be used at long distances).

I'm really just trying to find something to bridge the gap between my pistol and my rifle, considering I carry a 10mm I figured sticking to the same caliber would be helpful. That and the feather uses Glock mags (which I have plenty of, one less thing to buy), I have a few red dots sitting around so no money spent there, and really at a whopping 4 to 5 pounds (in the grand scheme of things) and the capability to break it down to a rather small size it dosn't seem like a bad deal.

I was more or less asking if anyone has owned/used one in this caliber. If not I guess I'll be the guinea pig!

• 2 weeks later...

Good news! Talked to Feather Industry's today, got a lot of questions answered that had me a little hesitant to order from them. The 10mm carbine IS built up more than the 9mm carbine, so hot loads are "perfectly fine to use". When not in use, it stores in a compact case of 17"x9"x3", nice for my current bag setup.

He does know how to up sell though (feather guy that is), when I said I pretty much wanted it bare bones he said that for $100 more (the deluxe series) I could have the red dot rail and acc. rail mounted as well as 3 extra G20 mags (I get excited easily when you say more mags). He was also willing to work out a deal if I bought the deluxe package with the bull barrel. All said and done this little project will probably run me about $800.00, but that's it......I say that because usually you buy the gun and then say I need more mags and.....You get the idea.

The thing that most surprised me was that he gave me a less than two week turn around time, where as the 9mm would take 4 to 5 weeks.

Now to just get this thing ordered with out my old lady noticing yet again another "big box" coming home!

Sounds cool, I'm interested in hearing what you think of it after you get it! Not to hi-jack your thread but is there a particular place you get your 10mm rounds? I have a Colt Delta Gold Cup and I really enjoy shooting it but I can never find any good deals?.

Bullseyeboy-

LOL! Welcome to the 10mm platform sir! I reload/load almost all of mine and have been getting in the habit of trying to reload more than I shoot. Basically you either start reloading (some hate it, some love it...I love it), or be really rich (which I'm not). Gunbroker is about the best place to soak up 10mm at decent prices but again reloading is about the only way you can get a good "deal". If you need anymore help with a reloading setup (as to how, what, etc...) send me a PM and I'll help you out.

I look forward to seeing your range test. I have been considering the Kel-Tec, but only because it is truly small when folded. I like Feather as a company more and I love the 10mm, but it is not small enough for me to carry it in my briefcase, like the Kel-Tec.

• Like 1

I look forward to seeing your range test. I have been considering the Kel-Tec, but only because it is truly small when folded. I like Feather as a company more and I love the 10mm, but it is not small enough for me to carry it in my briefcase, like the Kel-Tec.

true, all though you could hack the barrel down to 16.25" (you'd only be losing about an inch). You don't really need to though. I use to go to this showroom when I lived in DC, they have some good stuff at decent prices. http://www.specialtycases.com/

I have an Uzi, they were never made in 10mm though. But as this SMG has been converted into many calibers this is a conversion that I have thought of before. The barrel is easy, just rechamber an old .41 AE barrel, then figure out which mag to use.

• Like 1

YARP - before you jump into the > buck a round carbine game, take a look at the .40S+W cartridge down a 16" barrel, and look at the Kel Tec Sub 2000 in .40 w/mags that your service pistol uses.

There is a DRASTIC difference in ballistics for pistol cartridges down 16" barrels.

I guess its all in what you want to use it for.....

Im curious what a 9mm or .40S+W Glasier Saftey Slug would be like between a 5" barrel and 16" barrel for sheer destructive power......someone needs to get a couple watermelons and a tape measure out....

Sounds cool, I'm interested in hearing what you think of it after you get it! Not to hi-jack your thread but is there a particular place you get your 10mm rounds? I have a Colt Delta Gold Cup and I really enjoy shooting it but I can never find any good deals?.

Bullseyeboy-

LOL! Welcome to the 10mm platform sir! I reload/load almost all of mine and have been getting in the habit of trying to reload more than I shoot. Basically you either start reloading (some hate it, some love it...I love it), or be really rich (which I'm not). Gunbroker is about the best place to soak up 10mm at decent prices but again reloading is about the only way you can get a good "deal". If you need anymore help with a reloading setup (as to how, what, etc...) send me a PM and I'll help you out.

Hey thanks! I have been interested in reloading for some time now and I might just have to take you up on that offer. I do think if I had a nice setup I would enjoy it too.

Bullseyeboy-

Bvamp, I've shot the Kel-Tec before, it's fun! but it just doesn't seem all that durable (I could be wrong). Glaser 115gr saftey slug comes out of a Glock 20 right around 1600fps so it would probably come out of a 16" barrel at about 2200 to 2300fps :eek:

Patriot-Although I dig Uzi's I think I'm going to stick to this platform, I don't know that much about Uzi's so I think I'd be a little less likely to put hot loads in one. I have loaded the 10mm cartridge to get an impressive 1220fps with a 220gr projectile (now that's what you call +P), out of a 17" barrel I'd expect about 1700 to 1800 fps at the muzzle and probably still getting 1600fps out past 100m. with a 180gr+P load out of a 17" barrel I could load to get about (same load I use in my G20 right now) 2000fps, not shabby when your talking about a pistol round.

Bullseyeboy, I intend to do a write up of my reloading setup when I finish my bench, I'll let you know when I put it up. In the mean time start looking for a simple single stage press, Lee presses are great and cheap.

Hot loads? Sounds like you want to make the 10mm a bigger gun. Safest solution: Don't hotload...get a bigger gun.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

When I say Hot load or +P, I don't mean atomic!!!! I've been loading and testing loads (the right way) for a pretty long time now so I'm not to worried. I also wanted a platform that could handle +P loads so I could tinker around with the .224 BOZ a bit.

I don't try to make the 10mm a bigger gun (I'd get a .44mag then), I take my loads to a controllable point anything beyond is a waste.

Bvamp, I've shot the Kel-Tec before, it's fun! but it just doesn't seem all that durable (I could be wrong). Glaser 115gr saftey slug comes out of a Glock 20 right around 1600fps so it would probably come out of a 16" barrel at about 2200 to 2300fps :eek:

well, considering you cant fold or unfold it with a loaded mag in it without breaking it, its not real durable I dont think, BUT it will fit under the frlont seat of your car....try doing that with another carbine....

well, considering you cant fold or unfold it with a loaded mag in it without breaking it, its not real durable I dont think, BUT it will fit under the frlont seat of your car....try doing that with another carbine....

LOL! true, they were innovative with there idea (I like a lot of there ideas) I just wish it was more durable.

• 2 months later...

I came across this thread and joined the forum so I can give my 2 cents to this subject. I am a fan of the 10mm cartridge. I have been on a quest looking for a carbine to go with my 10mm Glock. I still am, in fact, even though I've had some disappointments.

1- The 10mm doesn't gain that much velocity coming out of a longer barrel, at least not compared to longer case revolver cartridges. The .357 Mag and 44 Mag have huge gains, but even a hot 10mm load just doesn't see the same increase. Check out the website "ballisticsbytheinch.com". This was a great project that a few guys put together and when looking at the data for the 10mm, it doesn't have the increase that I was hoping to see. There is some possibility that loading the 10mm with a low volume, slower burning powder would take advantage of a longer barrel, but in searching the web, I haven't been able to find any reloading data of someone who has accomplished it.

2- In looking at what was available for a 10mm carbine, at one point, I thought the Feather was the best option. I purchased one from Feather USA and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. They do look pretty cool, but I didn't have a good experience. Feeding problems were frequent. Sometimes a case would barely eject, other times it would fly 20 feet, it just didn't seem to function consistently. I had one incident where only half of the case ejected, leaving the over half stuck in the chamber. The trigger is this relatively thin piece of plastic. I'm not opposed to plastic composite triggers like on a Glock, but their trigger looks and feels very cheap. The gun uses Glock mags, but I had some Glock mags that wouldn't fit in the gun. What came with the gun worked fine in it and in my Glock handgun, but the mags that came with my 3rd generation Glock wouldn't fit in the carbine. Had the gun functioned flawlessly, it wouldn't have been a bad firearm, but I didn't want a gun that I didn't have any confidence in.

I'm hoping that the Microtech MCS Pistol Caliber Carbine actually makes it into production (see attachments). It's been kicked around for a couple of years, but I've been told by Microtech that it is their number one priority at this point. Ratworx.com is going to be the distributor once (if) it becomes available. If this gun comes out in 10mm, I will have to have one.

Anyway, that's my insight into the subject. I hope this helps.

post-24627-12725614415599_thumb.jpg

post-24627-12725614510104_thumb.jpg

post-24627-12725614619917_thumb.jpg