• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been thinking this over lot lately and discussing it with a couple recently made friends that migrated from Eastern Europe a few years back. They think its a bit odd the compulsion the Americans have

I am and allways will be a huge fan of simple iron sights. Only scope I have is on my sks and its just one of those chinese spotter scopes, Ive seen them called anyway, I can still use the irons by ju

The red dots are about speed, not accuracy. I like them on a rifle and they are seeing good service in the Middle East. I do not mean this as a negative, but frankly the Europeans don't have a lot to

Posted Images

Ok its getting the best of me. Anyone have a set of these xs ak front sight posts used for sale cheap?

Just keep an eye on the gun auction sites and the internet vendors. While on the pricey side IF I ever needed it I doubt I would regret the expense. I am going to the range Sunday God willing and will post some groups I can scan into the PC. Try to get 25, 50 and 100yd groupings if my back holds out long enough.

well with my tax refund burning a hole in my pocket, I bought a krebs receiver sight rail last week.. it showed up in just a few days, i thought it could take a few weeks so that made my day.. I mounted it on my 5.45 the other night and I think it's going to work out very well.. My primary reason for this mod was for the peep sights but the picatinny rail is a close second.. I spent some time weighing either this system or tech-sights, and I thought this gave me more flexibility of use and durability. The krebs rail is Kalashnikov rugged and has outstanding iron sights and outstanding mounting for optics.. the tech-sights are also outstanding iron sights, but that top cover looks kinda kludgy and the system kinda precludes low rise side mount optics. Also, I am considering the lightning bolt left side charging system in the future and that precludes side mounted optics all together.. so to me, even though the cost of the krebs rail nearly matches what I paid for the rifle, I feel I ended up with twice the rifle for having done it.

Hopefully next weekend I'll get out to the range, and I'll post some pictures..

Well I ended up ordering the Kreb's sights. It was either that or Mjo $6 price difference. Kreb's website was easier to navigate so he got my money. Hopefully it will be here soon, my rifle should be back in early March, it's an x39 I sent off to get Cerakote'ed. Can't wait to see it in action and hope the aperture sight works better for me.

Klassy so u got only AK APERTURE SIGHT? 800m or 1000m? or did u get XS SIGHT SYSTEMS also?

Ok its getting the best of me. Anyone have a set of these xs ak front sight posts used for sale cheap?

Just keep an eye on the gun auction sites and the internet vendors. While on the pricey side IF I ever needed it I doubt I would regret the expense. I am going to the range Sunday God willing and will post some groups I can scan into the PC. Try to get 25, 50 and 100yd groupings if my back holds out long enough.

As promised really nice day with some wind gusts but not difficult to time the shots while air was calm. Cold barrel shots were excellent while the warmer it got the more the groups would open, not too much though. Using yugo mil-surp which my rifle just loves to shoot.

Saiga25ydsAkrebsBatsetting.jpg

Saiga25ydsBkrebsBatSet.jpg

Saiga100ydskrebs1Set.jpg

Hard to see the aim point at 100yds but a little patience gave decent results. My back stated bothering me by the time I had placed the 100yd targets so the group could have been tighter. Battle Setting was used at 25yds while 1 setting used for 100yds. I really like that Krebs sight, nice to buy something and not suffer buyers remorse.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Here you go. There's a downloadable PDF for the sks boards link.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=16683

Thanks Gunny!

No problem. Macbeau and I were talking about this on another thread and I had the page handy. I like the concept but the lack of windage adjustment would be an issue for me. Not a major issue but enough to nag the crap out of me.

No problem. Macbeau and I were talking about this on another thread and I had the page handy. I like the concept but the lack of windage adjustment would be an issue for me. Not a major issue but enough to nag the crap out of me.

Am I missing something because it looks like it's windage adjustable?

Am I missing something because it looks like it's windage adjustable?

No you're right. I meant to say elevation adjustable.

No you're right. I meant to say elevation adjustable.

oh yeah right..

close%20up%20rear.jpg

there is an elevation adjustable sight that would work though, I haven't found one in the catalogs but I haven't looked all that hard yet. I just put a krebs receiver rail on my 5.45 and I'm thinking if I can find that style sight, it would be a good upgrade for the krebs rail..

that mod you posted would be killer for a 10/22 also..

Having made perhaps every mistake possible Ive realized how important good irons are to a battle rifle. Some will think me out of line here and a fool but Ive been worse in my life.

I watch so many people making a "sniper" rifle out of a battle rifle, some without irons at all and I have to wonder why the role of a battle rifle is so despised. The rifle is about the least of the matters needed for a sniper, field craft being paramount in the role as its not that hard to hit a man sized target fatally. Of course I am not refering to the exceptional true god gifted marksmen who are few and far in between and find their place as snipers. Remember Sgt.York used irons, good irons and became a legend.

A good battle rifle above all must be almost indestructible, fast to target, easy to reload, fast to clear malfs in the dark (field strip), accurate enough to stop a man at reasonable ranges, and powerful enough to reduce cover into concealment. Sub MOA groups are not even a consideration as I doubt the target cares that it was hit in the liver and lungs with successive shots. Heck the adrenaline alone is going to turn that sub-moa wonder into a 6MOA beater in a crisis situation and god help the man with mud or worse on his now useless optics and no recourse.

I am not disparaging long range marksmanship, I think its so valuable a skill that everyone should be able to dependably hit a target at several hundred yards under any weather conditions. That is the role of my Bolt rifle not my 308 Saiga, it's proud role is battle rifle and it does wonderful and glorious things. Though I may have not understood these things before at least I do now thanks to some very patient veterans who don't mind educating others. Thanks to them Ive found my aging eyesight less of an issue than I once thought.

So to all you guys who build remarkable skill with the lowly irons, well done and may the only thing you must shoot be paper or supper.

Picked up some part time work last couple of days to get one of those XS white stripe sights. can't wait. I am still working on the vision thing with my eye doc and contacts while my glasses are being made. I hope things will get a little easier as these issue get resolved. Man to have young set of eyes again. Oh well doing the best i can with what i have to work with.

tuktuk nice pics of the Krebs. You will be very happy with them.

Rhodes1968 the more i shoot this weapon the more i tend to agree with you and the simple battle rifle concept. keeping everything as simple as possible so things won't break down in your time of need. Any upgrades or should i say mods are to enhance functionality of a already great, reliable platform.

Cool Lead im sure you will like it. It is not so much that its a bad thing to use optics on an AK its that people lose all skill with the irons which in any possible situation a horrid decision. Yes you can shoot tighter groups with the latest doodad but what are you giving up for it? The AK is the model of simplicity adding anything should keep that in mind. Not to mention the challenge of shooting well with irons makes it rather gratifying.

Some of you guys with vision challenges may want to check into a little aide called Sight-Pal. It uses the theory of the eye working with a close small aperture allowing you to see as well or better than normal vision when using a sight, they are designed to stick to your glasses without adhesives. They are cheep and well worth the money. They come in both rifle and pistol versions but I only use the rifle as I use point and shoot for pistols which makes things easier for me.

Another idea for you guys out there that may have cross dominate vision, right handed left eye dominate, while great for baseball its a pain in shooting. Wear an eye patch you can pick up in any drug store while shooting over the left eye. Eye strain is greatly reduced. If you want you can wear it for a few hours during the normal day and your mind will start making your right eye dominate over time. Of course cross dominate Lefties would use the patch over the right eye unless you shoot right handed.

Hope this helps a few of you guys.

Rhodes,

Thanks for starting this thread and you input. I went to the range with my latest set of contacts and my new glasses. Needless to say it ended up going to my glasses. There must be something wrong with my right eye as it floats in and out of focus. If i look to the left or slightly turn my head to the right so i am looking out of the left corner of my right eye everything is sharp as a tack but straight on still a little blurry. It must be the fit. anyway after about dicking around for about 30 to 40 rounds, i finally switched over to my glasses and what a difference. I am not sure i am going to keep trying these contacts as it seems to me the glasses are so much easier to deal with. well we will see.

took three rounds to get the sights where i wanted them then i shot out a 100 yards. paper plate 3 1/2 inch target. i was under low light shaded area looking out into good sunlight on target area. By this time i was my eyes and concentration were getting tired. Still its getting where i think it should be. Now i can relax and get used to getting consistent standardized check weld and hold.

I was using that old corrosive uly ammo, Krebs peep and XS front. the XS are a little big but My eyes seem to like the profile (easier to focus on?). could i have done as well with stock sights....maybe. I know that i have always shot better with peep sights as the sight pic they provide seems more natural to my eyes.

Next i am going to try different color combo as the orange yard line paint needed more of a contrast at 100 yards or make it darker. It doesn't look Orange in the pic but it is a faint orange.

The biggest spread just under 4 inches left to right shoots.

post-7194-12743877531867_thumb.jpg

Edited by leadslinger

went to the range with my latest set of contacts and my new glasses. Needless to say it ended up going to my glasses. There must be something wrong with my right eye as it floats in and out of focus. If i look to the left or slightly turn my head to the right so i am looking out of the left corner of my right eye everything is sharp as a tack but straight on still a little blurry. It must be the fit. anyway after about dicking around for about 30 to 40 rounds, i finally switched over to my glasses and what a difference. I am not sure i am going to keep trying these contacts as it seems to me the glasses are so much easier to deal with. well we will see.

I've noticed a similar phenomenon. I think it's just the nature of contact lenses. If I want to do my best shooting, I wear my glasses.

Glasses work better for me also and since you can get safety glass and the means to keep them in place it makes more sense to use them. Try using a sight-pal with the glasses it makes a difference when working on getting small groups.

it is only getting better. I really like those XS sights as my eyes don't have to strain so hard. The adjustment is soo much easier. The only thing i have to decide is whether i want a point of aim or point of impact. it seems that the point of aim you have to put the front sight on the target you want to hit. Very much like the Glock sights I have them adjust for point of impact like a 6 o'clock hold.

I painted the plate completely organge with a black dot in the center. I then set my sight do that the dot was sitting on top of the front sight. good groups. Driving home i thought that it might be more effective to have them set up so the front sight should get placed on or superimposed over the target.

Rhodes.....which do you find effective.

something i will have to test out next time at the range.

If I understand the question my sights are set for PoI to be slightly above the sight PoA so I can see what Im shooting at so to speak. I think any post type front sight works much better if you dont have to "cover up" the target. If this wasn't the question you asked please let me know. I still hope Krebs will make an aperture front sight also but meh I can wait. The problem is of course so many AKs have canted FSB an aperture would lose a lot of adjustment area and require getting the FSB straight.

Must chip in!

As I'm getting half blind I have to shoot using reading glass's. I find the stock Saiga sights are easier to use than the stock mil surp (both Bulgarian and Polish Tantal) which are finer. But, sometimes I shoot better with the finer, smaller sights because I have to work harder at it. Need to get my eyes checked. I'm thinking of an alternative to the standard AK sight and Liked the Mojo idea but it would need the elevation adjustment.

Has anyone tried a rear peep sight that is large enough to use the outer ring of the sight protector wings? If you've ever shot an H & K much you would know that the sight protector is part of the sighting system and it works great! I've shot my best with the H & K system.

I like the looks of the Krebs, do you buy it direct? When you look through the Krebs, do you see the ring formed by the sight protection wings?

Thanks for the great post!

Frosty