Cleaning the Saiga

I just got Saiga 223 today and boy the more i look and handle it the more i like it. I cant wait to shoot it. Read the instruction and managed to field strip it. can some one please explain to me how you suppose to clean the rifle? This is my first semi, I cant exactly put a rod through, am i suppose to push the cleaning rod from the barrel end back to the camber?

Any help would be appreicated

Clean it... What is this "clean it" you speak of?

To be serious though, yes you use the standard cleaning stuff and go to town every few thousand rounds.

Clean the trigger group, the barrel, the piston, and the gas tube.

Wait. The Saiga 223 manual I have tells me all this. Doesn't yours?

Hope you have fun with your new rifle. I know I love mine.

Sorry. i think my question was how do you clean it? as in do people run the brush from the barrel end and push it back towards the chamber? as with a bolt action rifle. you run the brush from the chamber to the barrel tip.

I find it difficult to clean in that direction, because the cleaning rod must be bent to do so. I typically run a bore snake with Hoppe's #9 through from chamber to muzzle a few times, wait a bit, push some dry patches through in the opposite direction, then run a bore snake with oil through, once again going toward the muzzle.

AKs are perfectly fine to clean from the muzzle, with their tough chromed barrels and all.

I quickly clean my Saiga rifles at the range, after each shooting session. This is my procedure:

1) Field strip the weapon and remove the gas tube.

2) Put a clean 12 gauge patch over a nylon 12 gauge bore brush, stick it into the gas chamber and rotate a few times. Take it out, turn the patch over and do it again.

3) Blow some compressed air into the gas chamber.

4) Run a .30 cal bore snake through the barrel a couple of times. Wipe the bore snake off with a rag. Run it through the barrel a couple of more times.

5) Run a 12 gauge bore snake through the gas tube a couple of times. Wipe the bore snake off with a rag. Run it through the gas tube a couple of more times.

6) Wipe the gas piston and face of the bolt with a rag.

7) Put a drop of oil in the grove where the bolt locks into the piston carrier.

8) Blow some compressed air into the receiver.

9) Oil the receiver rails.

10) Re-assemble the weapon and charge the bolt a few times to test for function and to spread the oil on the rails.

11) Wipe all external metal components off with one of those protectant treated polishing cloths.

Every once in a while I do the proper, through cleaning at home, with a rod, Hoppe's #9, nylon brushes, etc.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU