Brown Bear or Silver Bear?

Do you folks have preference between Brown Bear 7.62x39 or Silver Bear 7.62x39 ? Anything other than cost to choose between them? SP or HP or FMJ? I've read that Wolf shoots dirty so I want to steer clear of that...

I run both Brown & Silver Bear in my P-64.

Brown bear is Lacquered steel case, Silver bear is Zinc plated steel case.

For an AK the cheaper Brown Bear should do fine.

If you remember all the surplus Russian HP that used to be around, it was Lacquered.

In P-64s, since there are NO spare parts for these pistols, you generally don't run wolf either.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Coal Forge.... JINKS! you owe me a beer! :D

Edited by Paulyski

I use Golden Tiger which is very much like BB, I always take about 30 seconds while cleaning to lightly scrub the chamber with a 45cal brush. Never had any problems since break-in using it. The coating makes it a good candidate for long term storage.

Brown Bear works just dandy. It comes in laquered and polymer-coated varieties and each will leave different residues in your receiver, which, while annoying to clean out, doesn't really affect an AK. It's reasonably priced if you shop around, not as dirty as Wolf, (no Barnaul ammo is), and BB JHP is pretty devastating :killer:

Silver Bear leaves less of a mess in the receiver, and the price reflects it. I've got 1k rounds of Silver Bear FMJ. I've had it for awhile and haven't shot any of it. I intend to continue sitting on it and buying other (cheaper) ammo for plinking.

Edited by post-apocalyptic