Drilling this bullet guide hole is IMPOSSIBLE

God forbid a forum business member recommends having a bolt and FCG sent to them to get re-profiled and polished.

Those are so much easier to do than drilling a hole. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you have any doubts that you can DIY there are plenty of business on this forum capable of doing the work without charging an arm and a leg.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll go along with heat build up and hardening. I learned this the hard way drilling a Chinese SKS receiver for a side scope mount. I had my press on too high of a speed and didn't have the receiver clamped in and wound up making a polished dimple that was hard as hell to break through even with new quality drill bits. Once I did though the rest of the holes were a breeze.

I made the same mistake again last night when using what must have been a semi sharp bit to drill out the weld on the trigger guard on my Saiga. After I swapped out the old bit for a new one and put some pressure on the drill press handle, I was able to cut through it in a few seconds.

• 10 months later...

Well I can sympathize with Dirge. I am not a complete idiot and I had no trouble at all with the FCG/pistol grip conversion. But I could not get a hole in the trunion for the bullet guide. I used the drill that came in the kit I got from CSS as well as a brand new cobalt drill bit. I used cutting oil. I used both a multispeed cordless B&D drill and a good old fashioned plug in wall drill. I tried slow and high speeds. All I accomplished was two broken bits and a small nice centered dimple. I am going to give up and just JB weld it in I think. I am not interested in getting a drill press. So far I have spent money on cutting oil, lock tight, drill bits, a tap set and wasted several hours of time. I would just forget it if I had not already purchased the bullet guide and some non Surefire mags.

Edited by Tarheel72
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lock it in a manual milling machine and use a carbide end mill, then use a fresh bit of the correct size to complete the hole. If you break the tap, go back though the whole at highspeed and eat the tap out of there. and tap again.