Bolt Hold open Not working

New to the Saiga club and I have only shot 40 or 50 rounds thru so far. The bolt hold open is not sticking out anymore and it feels like NO spring is attached. To say I am 'mechanically challenged" would be a huge understatement and I am afraid I cannot fix it myself. I keep looking at it but not sure I should touch it....

I'm in Northern Indiana 1/2 way between Chicago and Toledo. Any saiga gunsmiths close?

New to the Saiga club and I have only shot 40 or 50 rounds thru so far. The bolt hold open is not sticking out anymore and it feels like NO spring is attached. To say I am 'mechanically challenged" would be a huge understatement and I am afraid I cannot fix it myself. I keep looking at it but not sure I should touch it....

I'm in Northern Indiana 1/2 way between Chicago and Toledo. Any saiga gunsmiths close?

Your BHO spring leg fell off the return bend of the lever. You can pick it up and place it back on the lever with a dental pick or with some fine tweezers.

Just take the cover off, remove the bolt & carrier, then drop the hammer forward. That should give you access to view the BHO assembly pretty good.

i used a dental tool to guide the spring backonto it's proper location. It is not complicated, but was frustrating for me. But I fixed it, so give it a fwe(lots)of tries.

Frustrating is RIGHT on! I wound up bending the tip of my dental pick into more of a hook.

Don't worry, I broke 2 dental tools doing it. It is tough to get behind the BHO latch to sort of "scoop up"the spring end with the curved end of a dental tool, while pulling the BHO away from the receiver side wall to get past the hook on the BHO, then pushing the BHO in and down while timing the release of the spring end from the dental tool so that it rests on top of that hook on the BHO.

My first session trying to fix mine was 2 1/2 hours! I got so frustrated I had to wait 10 days before another 1 1/2 hours finally resulting in victory! Even after I figured it out I "almost had it!" lots of times.

Like I said I am not at all mechanical. I tend to get frustrated and break things.

Will this happen again and if so is there a permanent fix?

Yes it can happen again. The best fix I've found is to take a small jewelers file and create a notch for the spring leg to call home. But that would most likely involve removing the safety lever and positioning the BHO lever straight up to get the file at it.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with it. I just flicked that spring leg off my '08 S12 and pulled it right back up into place in under 2 minutes. I have a fine tools for such work though. That's probably what you need to do is get a pick set and lots of small tweezers. My favorite tweezers are the curved tip stainless fine tip from techni-tool. 352TW011

Edited by hobbyshooter
  • Like 2

you didn't take the trigger group out to notch it? because, you really didn't need to do that at all. all you had to do was move the BHO plate away from the receiver, and rotate it up, notch it, and just push it back into place, then pick up the leg of spring and put it in place.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Like I said I am not at all mechanical. I tend to get frustrated and break things.

Will this happen again and if so is there a permanent fix?

Yes it can happen again. The best fix I've found is to take a small jewelers file and create a notch for the spring leg to call home. But that would most likely involve removing the safety lever and positioning the BHO lever straight up to get the file at it.

+1

I did the same thing "just in case" for reliability. Except I just tapped the area with a dremmel cutoff wheel.

I had the slip off issues... But while installing the FCG. the notch makes all the difference in the world to avoid the frustration.

The major converters should do this to their guns too, as it increases reliability. Shit. everyone should IMHO.

Edited by Paulyski