Saiga 12 "NEWBIE" from California, what can I do to my saiga?

Hello Everyone, Im new to this forum and to Saigas. This would also be my first shotgun. I bought it from Peach State Guns (Great Dealer) and did all my paperwork yesterday. 10 days from now I should have my Saiga. Anybody from California here, that can tell me what I can do with my shotgun. Such as conversions and acessories? Who has the best 10rd. mags? Price range?

Hello Everyone, Im new to this forum and to Saigas. This would also be my first shotgun. I bought it from Peach State Guns (Great Dealer) and did all my paperwork yesterday. 10 days from now I should have my Saiga. Anybody from California here, that can tell me what I can do with my shotgun. Such as conversions and acessories? Who has the best 10rd. mags? Price range?

hey caliAR.. I'm in Ventura county, i ordered most of my stuff from carolinashootersupply. Really its just about looking at other folks s12 and deciding what you like. pm me if you need any help finding things. i have lists and part numbers as well as links saved for Cali legal mods.

Edited by Babblemk77

you cannot have a folding or telescoping stock on the saiga12 there in CA. Im hearing something as well about a vertical front grip being prohibited as well. further, the saiga-12 in any configuration as a semiauto shotgun with detachable mag must have a mag lock on it to comply with CA law.

you cannot have a folding or telescoping stock on the saiga12 there in CA. Im hearing something as well about a vertical front grip being prohibited as well. further, the saiga-12 in any configuration as a semiauto shotgun with detachable mag must have a mag lock on it to comply with CA law.

Vertical front grips are still legal as far as I know. Ive been trying to figure it out, but from what I've gathered you cant have a VFG on any pistol style weapon (AR-15 pistol) and it also counts as a point so long as you stay within the 922R compliance you should be fine. Someone let me know if I'm wrong, I would be really bummed as I bought a VFG not to long ago to go with my Chaos extended quad.

Vertical front grips are still legal as far as I know. Ive been trying to figure it out, but from what I've gathered you cant have a VFG on any pistol style weapon (AR-15 pistol) and it also counts as a point so long as you stay within the 922R compliance you should be fine. Someone let me know if I'm wrong, I would be really bummed as I bought a VFG not to long ago to go with my Chaos extended quad.

In california the vertical front grip on a shotgun is legal and i have one. most people (including the supervisor at shooting ranges sometimes) confuse that sb23 prohibits rifles with removable magazines to have a vertical foward grip. semi automatic shotguns fall under a completely different category in the SB23 wording and so long as you don't have a folding/telescoping stock and a pistol grip your in the green.

I'm in orange county and my shotgun has the pistol grip conversion, tromix gas weld galil style charging handle, quad rail front end with red dot, vertical front grip and a bipod for bench shooting. also depending on how your shotgun comes the BHO installation can be a fun project if you got the time to figure it out.

Edited by blacksideblue

In california the vertical front grip on a shotgun is legal and i have one. most people (including the supervisor at shooting ranges sometimes) confuse that sb23 prohibits rifles with removable magazines to have a vertical foward grip. semi automatic shotguns fall under a completely different category in the SB23 wording and so long as you don't have a folding/telescoping stock and a pistol grip your in the green.

I'm in orange county and my shotgun has the pistol grip conversion, tromix gas weld galil style charging handle, quad rail front end with red dot, vertical front grip and a bipod for bench shooting. also depending on how your shotgun comes the BHO installation can be a fun project if you got the time to figure it out.

Blackside do you have a picture?

First things first, welcome to the forum, secondly move from Calif. its a communist state when it comes to gun control. Lots of knowledgeable people on the forum to help you. happy trails TGUNN

• Like 1

First things first, welcome to the forum, secondly move from Calif. its a communist state when it comes to gun control. Lots of knowledgeable people on the forum to help you. happy trails TGUNN

Thanks TGUNN

Believe me when I get the chance, Im gone!

also from cali and also got my s12 from peachstate. +1 on getting parts at CSS. as for the legality , calguns.net is alot of help. good luck. love my s12, you will never regret having one and converting it. this forum also helped me alot.

CSS??

• 4 months later...

I'm also in north orange county. I got a sagia 12 virgin . I want to get it converted however don't have the time to spend on it to do it right. Anyone know anyone good local that would be willing to do it for pay ? I course would like to see there work before hand. I do not want to ship the firearm out to get it done. Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to the forum. Move would be the only suggestion I have for you. No seriously, move, get the hell out of there.

Nah, I was just kidding, if you were serious and had some free time and money you could MOVE out of Kommifornia. Get out of there man.

OP,

My deepest sympathy and welcome aboard. You may not be able to get truly evl with it, but at least you can own the damn thing there. There are quite a few members from Commy that can help steer you in a legal direction.

+1 on the 'get the hell outta there'.... you are behind enemy lines

Not sure if there are any CA manufacturers on the forum, but it wouldn't be difficult to have your gun shipped to a business member who is a manufacturer (Red Jacket, Cadiz, Tac47, ect...). You can ship to them and they can ship back to your home without you having to pay another dealer transfer fee.

I'm also in north orange county. I got a sagia 12 virgin . I want to get it converted however don't have the time to spend on it to do it right. Anyone know anyone good local that would be willing to do it for pay ? I course would like to see there work before hand. I do not want to ship the firearm out to get it done. Thanks for any advice.

I too am in California. I got my Saiga-12 pre-converted and CA legal from Atlantic Firearms. The laws here are weird, confusing, and not particularly intuitive. I found this website very helpful (http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/LegalCalifornia). As you probably already know, no folding stock at all and some sort of bullet button will probably be necessary unless you don't want anything fun on it. You can find 10-round AGP mags right here on Saiga-12.com for a steal (especially if you buy 4+). I use them and have been nothing but happy with them.

Welcome to the forum. Move would be the only suggestion I have for you. No seriously, move, get the hell out of there.

Nah, I was just kidding, if you were serious and had some free time and money you could MOVE out of Kommifornia. Get out of there man.

I do not want to live in this shit hole. But then again being married with a newborn don't really help at the moment. I own more firearms then I have fingers and toes. I would own tons more if I didn't live here. Well it's time to just suck it up and deal with it. You cannot even find out house in the Ghetto for under 450k . This place is over rated !! Thanks for the Advice

You must have constant headaches being a gun owner living in Commifornia... Stupidity at it's highest. You're probably right on the brink of becoming a criminal, owning such a deadly weapon only designed to break laws, please. :lolol:

PS. MOVE

I also live in California. I am in the process of buying a S12 from another forum member and currently own a self converted 308. Rifle and Shotgun laws are different. You can have a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip, but no collapsible or folding butt stock. Also, no shotgun is allowed to be "capable of accepting a removable magazine" so a magazine lock is required. You can have a muzzle attachment. If the S12 was a pump, you would be able to put just about anything on it as long as its over 30" and had a mag lock.

This is straight from the CA DOJ, The following are traits of illegal rifles

Shotguns

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:

(A) A folding or telescoping stock.

(B A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or

vertical handgrip.

(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Edited by DrGonZo

S-12's in California just have to have 18" barrels, 26" OAL (not 30" as stated above), a magazine lock, and you can have your choice of a pistol grip or folding/telescoping stock but not both. You can also go stockless if you still meet the length requirements.

See CGF shotgun assault weapon flow chart for exact laws and details to determine if any shotgun is an AW in CA.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf

Here is the flowchart for centerfire semi-auto rifles also:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

On a side note, there is lots of legal action on the part of the CalGuns Foundation waiting for the McDonald vs Chicago decision to incorporate the 2A to the states. Conventional wisdom of people in the know out here is CA AW laws will be stuck down as unconstitutional within a year of the McDonald win we are more than likely going to see next week.

So don't move yet! We are about to take this state back :)

Edited by stix213

I lived in California for 25 years. I finally had enough (gun laws, schools, etc) so I took my family and moved to Indiana - just got up and left. Best thing I ever did. I have a house that would have cost me $2M in california (payed less than a 2 bdr california condo), great schools, plenty of spare time and money and LOTS of cool guns. If I want the good weather, I can always visit California.

So, to all those still there. You can and should leave.

S-12's in California just have to have 18" barrels, 26" OAL (not 30" as stated above), a magazine lock, and you can have your choice of a pistol grip or folding/telescoping stock but not both. You can also go stockless if you still meet the length requirements.

Thanks, I put 26" before I edited it, but could only find OAL requirements for rifles on the CADOJ web page. I was pretty sure it was 26" too. rolleyes.gif

Move. Seriously, you will thank us all later. I was born in Long Beach and spent the first 17 years in L.A. and Orange County before moving to the Inland Empire. After ten years of Riverside and Colton I was so happy to move to Middle Tennessee. I went back to visit a couple of years ago, will never go back again. DrGonzo is right about the laws being different for shotguns and rifles. I asked my father about them and he gave me the same info (he was 30 years in Kalifornia DOJ BNE (Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement). I left in '96 when the new AR/AK bans were coming out. I can own anything I want here and I do not have to apologize for my G3k or Hk11 to nosey people at the range. For those of you living in L.A. or O.C. be prepared to present all necessary documents proving your firearms are legal to the local constabulary. I have had a few run-ins brought about by 'civic - minded' individuals who rather than asking me or the rangemaster if any of my firearms were restricted, just notified the local police. I showed the police everything and they apologized but told me they were required to follow up on the complaint. I am at a supervised range, with a rangemaster, shooting next to a DOJ Officer in a marked jacket and badge and someone thought I would be stupid enough to show up with an illegal firearm. Good luck with your new Saigas and I pray that something close to reason will return to the PRK. Everyone I have known in Kalifornia, save one individual in Mentone, has left the state. He is planning on leaving later this year. Once again good luck.

Just wanted to drop a line here on the forum. I've been a member for a little bit but don't post much. I'm in Fresno, CA. I've had a pair of Saiga-12s (consecutive serial numbers FTW!) for about three years. PRK Arms which is just down the road from me are the guys responsible for developing the magazine locks that are used to make Saiga-12 shotguns legal here. Before that people were cutting off the magazine catch levers to get them. I was in there last week and snapped a few photos of a conversion they had just finished (not mine but I'll have one soon) They are an 07 FFL and do a lot of CA compliance work / R&D:

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

Disclaimer: The owner is a friend and I'll even hop behind the counter to help if it's busy.