bolt for .223

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. We all know Saiga rifles (not shotgun) have NO OPTIONS at this point for bolt parts etc..

Then wouldn't a standard AK (aka WASR or etc..) make some sense to buy at least one, of if the spare parts are more common??? NOBODY will just say it on here ph34r.gif ... It just make sense..

I love my Saiga but I plan on shooting at least 3000 rounds this year through mine and if it breaks then what 009.gif

Someone said 4000-10000 rounds or so before breakage on here somewhere I thought.

firing pins and extractors can wear and not work, with out "breaking" springs can and will break over time. If you don't shoot the gun and keep it in the house it will last a lifetime.

I did not post to argue or out piss anyone I just want to find spare parts, if others don't want to keep spares that is their choice.

I am looking for spares.

There are no BOLTHEAD spare parts for saiga's, PERIOD. Now I have seen cut up saiga rifles sold as parts kits on gunbroker, but usually for almost the cost of a new un-cut rifle. Also as someone else said other AK 223 rifle parts may work. Bulgarian 223 parts are expensive and getting harder to find. Chinese 223 parts PROBABLY won't work. Romanian 223 parts MAY work and are cheaper and seen a "little" more often on various forum EE's. There is a guy here in the US making firing pins for AK's, here is a link to him

GreenMachine

His firing pins are for an AK-47 and are the free floating type, the Saiga 223 uses a spring loaded one, but he might make you one (he seems to be set up producing firing pins).

Extractors for a 223 are out of stock at K-var and I know of no other source. However an ak-74 (5.45x39) extractor may work well, here is a link to them for like $8

K-var

Edited by Pointer55
  • 2 weeks later...

bolt probaly broke from from an improperly headspaced kit build.

And the headspace doesn't even have to be off, to have problems. My second AK kit build (using a 'name brand' US-made receiver & FCG) doubled the first time I test fired it - the bolt was riding a bit too high to reliably cock the hammer, with the aftermarket FCG & receiver (i.e., receiver rails). Cascading tolerances (part A is a little out of spec, and part B is a little out of spec, and part C is a little out of spec - suddenly, you're getting 'unanticipated consequences'). That's why I ALWAYS recommend a Saiga conversion to anyone who wants an AK - the receiver, and bolt, and bolt carrier are assembled (& presumably tested) at the Russian factory. And that's also why I always use double-hook triggers for compliance parts - if it ain't factory, I don't trust it, and the extra hook is 'insurance'...

;>)