Folding stocks with drum magazines

Hi guys,

I'm on the edge of doing a conversion to my S12. I'd like to go with a folding stock but want to make sure I get/order one that wont interfere with having a drum mag on. When I do the conversion, I'm not sure what folding stocks will fold with a drum magazine on. If none will work, I may get a telescopic one instead.

In other words, I want to be sure the stock will fold with a drum magazine attached to it. Can someone please tell me what folding stocks will work and possibly where to get it? Thanks in advance.

DH

(I must admit, I'm a bit nervous doing the conversion myself. Wish me luck.)

Hi Harry,

Welcome. It is my understanding that none of the folding stocks will fold completely with a drum attached.

However. I believe Mike at MD Arms is currently developing a mechanism that will allow it.

Interesting, I can't wait to see what they come up with.

I guess I'll go with something telescopic for now. I have the tapco AR butt on it now and it just doesn't look right. This was going to be an SBR project, but I want to keep it at 16" now. :)

DH

I can tell from the pic that yours won't completely clear the drum, Rob.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter. One could fold the stock as far as it will go, (not locked in position), and fire the gun that way. The stock might flop back and rest against your shoulder/ribs, but it shouldn't affect anything negatively.

Mine does not fold all the way with the drum, and it's not a big deal at all...

I really only fold it to transport... if I'm shooting the gun I have the stock locked open, and if I do need to shoot it folded in a match or something I have the 10rd mags...

I am curious how the folding mech will work though. :super:

Maybe it'll be like that "thing that goes up"? What do they call it... a barrel shroud?

:lol:

I'm not really sure how you could do it. Maybe with a custom stock of some kind? Like the one on the Spas12, only that folds along the side instead of the top.

The ONLY setup that will allow a stock to fully fold behind an MD20 is the short-LOP ACE stock with no buttpad and an external folding block. It will just barely clear the drum.

External blocks look a bit funny, though. Theres also no real reason to want to fold it with the drum inserted; folding stocks are meant for transport and you wouldn't want to transport it with the drum inserted nor would you want to shoot it with the stock folded, IMHO.

A folding stock that would work with the drum should be possible. Combine a side folder, with a butt that also folds -- either stright forward, or back against the stock's arm. It could look kind of like a VZ58 stock

VZ58102-800px.jpg

but it would also need to fold right at the butt similar to this shotgun stock, only the stock would be on the side of the Saiga 12, and that butt would either extend straight forward along the barrel, or straight back along the stock.

Top_Folding_Shotgun_Stock_SG-MTF4900-ATI-LG400.JPG

Probably a pita to make, but it should be possible and should function if you make a strong enough hinge/locking mechanism.

Edited by John_pro2a

The ONLY setup that will allow a stock to fully fold behind an MD20 is the short-LOP ACE stock with no buttpad and an external folding block. It will just barely clear the drum.

Can you please post or direct me to a picture of one? I've searched high and low and can't seem to locate a pic. Thank you.

DH

Hi Harry,

Welcome. It is my understanding that none of the folding stocks will fold completely with a drum attached.

However. I believe Mike at MD Arms is currently developing a mechanism that will allow it.

I guess I'll go with something telescopic for now. I have the tapco AR butt on it now and it just doesn't look right. This was going to be an SBR project, but I want to keep it at 16" now. :)

DH

you do know the legal limit for shotguns is 18" not 16" which is the limit for rifles

Hi Harry,

DH

you do know the legal limit for shotguns is 18" not 16" which is the limit for rifles

My mistake, I meant 18".