http://www.panamericanshotgun.org/

Any of you to compete at this event ?

A few of us from the UK are looking to come over & it would be great to meet up with other Saiga 12'ers.

Iv looked over on the Brian Enos forum but not much as been said so far on the venue.

ATF have been very helpfull on sorting import permits although were have to buy birdshot/sg & slug once in the US.Whats the current prices on quality ammo & which brands/loads are any of use using in tournaments in your saigas ?

Thanks a lot.

David.

We have 4 shooters with R&R modified Saigas that plan on attending. We are waiting on confirmation of slots.

I'm currently using B&P F2 Mach, 7.5 shot in a 7/8s oz load. I'll also be shooting B&P slugs (if I can get them to run reliably). Lots of different stuff can be purchased in the US, but sometimes availability is spotty. Prices run from about $6.25 for cheap stuff to over $10 a box. You might want to purchase the ammo online and have it shipped to the venue.

The Blue Ridge 3 Gun match is being held at the same location in April and some of us are already signed up to shoot so we will have a chance to check the place out. There is a lodge right at the match site but you will need to get reservations early.

Hope to see you in July.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Send a request for a slot to Michael Voigt, President of USPSA. You will need to be a USPSA member.

Doug

Don't you have any ranking system for selections to the match?

Not that I'm aware of, but we don't shoot many all shotgun IPSC style matches in the US, it's either Pistol or Multi-gun and the occasional Rifle match. USPSA only classifies shooters by Pistol scores. R&R wanted to do an all shotgun match this year and got alot of negative feedback so we switched back to a Multi-Gun format.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

I just sent in my application and fee to the Match admin director and awaiting verification. Talking with Linda at the Ft. Benning 3-Gun match back in December and she said basically "four days of all shotgun stages and approximately 100+ rounds per day"!! The venue where the match is taking place is supposed to be awesome from what I heard from people who shot the Blue Ridge 3-Gun there last year.

PanAm shotgun Championship

Rock Castle Shooting Center

• 2 weeks later...

iv been sent this link to the offical ammo supplier :

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/pages.php?pageid=55

Since you ammo brands /loads are different to whats available in the UK , would one of you advise on bird/buck/slug thats going to run in my Saiga ??

I was thinking of :

Winchester heavy target birdshot

Winchester 9 ball buckshot

Winchester 1 oz slug.

not worried about the price just need it to work :killer:

If any of you attending fancy meeting up for a meal first rounds on me :super:

Im staying in Bowling Green ( where ever that is ) 26th july to 2nd august.

thanks a lot,

David.

• 2 weeks later...

iv been sent this link to the offical ammo supplier :

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/pages.php?pageid=55

Since you ammo brands /loads are different to whats available in the UK , would one of you advise on bird/buck/slug thats going to run in my Saiga ??

I was thinking of :

Winchester heavy target birdshot

Winchester 9 ball buckshot

Winchester 1 oz slug.

not worried about the price just need it to work :killer:

If any of you attending fancy meeting up for a meal first rounds on me :super:

Im staying in Bowling Green ( where ever that is ) 26th july to 2nd august.

thanks a lot,

David.

David,

The ammo selection looks like it should be good to go and I would say buy Remington field loads if Winchester is not available. If you run low on shotshells during the event just let me know as I will probably bring twice what I need. I"ll be staying in a nearby campsite with cabins and will forward my cell phone number to you or anyone else from the forum who is attending. If we get a chance to have a beer, I'll gladly buy you a Guinness as the first round from one of the "Yanks in the Colonies"!

Thanks mate sounds like a plan. Saiga12 nite it is then !

Im interested in what shot size you normaly shoot at plates as over here the larger no 5 & 6 shot is very popular as distances can be from 5ft to 40ft & the smaller 7's just dont seem to take out the further plates.

Iv looked on Enos & other forums is this match popular with Americans ? as little is written about it.With such a great looking range & all the trade stalls im really looking forward to this as you may know shotgun is one of the few shooting sports we can still do in the UK.

Your find the UK shooters hanging out at the practic ranges trying to beg a shoot of any handguns since ours were banned 20 odd years ago.

Thanks mate sounds like a plan. Saiga12 nite it is then !

Im interested in what shot size you normaly shoot at plates as over here the larger no 5 & 6 shot is very popular as distances can be from 5ft to 40ft & the smaller 7's just dont seem to take out the further plates.

Iv looked on Enos & other forums is this match popular with Americans ? as little is written about it.With such a great looking range & all the trade stalls im really looking forward to this as you may know shotgun is one of the few shooting sports we can still do in the UK.

Your find the UK shooters hanging out at the practic ranges trying to beg a shoot of any handguns since ours were banned 20 odd years ago.

Gunfighter,

I'll use heavy shot (#4 or #5) if the reactive targets/ steel plates are known to be heavy or somewhat distant. Name brand #7 or so field loads with a modified or full choke usually suffice on most matches I've attended. Just be aware that with tighter chokes you will get tighter patterns and you will have to be more careful on your aiming. I'll probably use something close to max dram loads for the majority of my shotshells during this match as I'm not very recoil sensitive with my Saiga-12 and I prefer the higher velocity loads. I'll bring a pistol or two if we can have access to an open bay on the range after the day is over and you can possibly get some rangetime with a 9mm or .357 magnum.

Oh, I warn you I drink my Guinness cold and consider myself a TopGear fanatic and moderate Anglophile!!

• 1 month later...

I would love to shoot this match just the divorce, moving to the west coast and a lot of other crap in my life not sure I can make it. I am excited for the Saiga shooters going wish I could swing it.

John

I would love to shoot this match just the divorce, moving to the west coast and a lot of other crap in my life not sure I can make it. I am excited for the Saiga shooters going wish I could swing it.

John

John,

It will not be the same without you there with us. We make plans for years for things like this and life intrudes into our world altering those very plans. Take care John, it will work out in the end.

• 3 months later...

Here is some video of me at the Pan Am so you folks can see what it was like. There were 30 stages of shot, buck and slugs. Here are some of the stages we videoed.

Doug

Good stuff. How large is the stick mag you are using (capacity) ... didn't see them on your site, so I'm guessing they are individually, custom built and tuned? Possibly for sale later. Any details (couple of 12 round bodies plastic welded together? custom spring from ??? enquiring minds want to know :)

GunfighterUK ... did you ever feel at a disadvantage (however slight) with your longer bbl? Can't remember, but if the UK laws are just re: bbl length, I'd think there'd be a real move to developing a bullpup form, try to knock down some of the overall length? Maybe R and R could work up a comp gun for our brothers across the "pond" ?

Edited by kmoore

Yes all our barrels are 24" ( or longer ) not half as neat as the 19's you can have :killer:

Smack up my knee on day one so limp'd real slow for whole event - but had fun, Ronswin was a great squad member & was one of the few to hit the 90 meter slug targets , i had a hard time even seeing them :cryss:

Hospitality was fantastic & those R&R saigas rock :super:

Good stuff. How large is the stick mag you are using (capacity) ... didn't see them on your site, so I'm guessing they are individually, custom built and tuned? Possibly for sale later. Any details (couple of 12 round bodies plastic welded together? custom spring from ??? enquiring minds want to know :)

The long mags are hold 20 rounds (mine actually holds 21 so I can start a stage with 22 in the gun) and are made by R&R. It is 2 mag bodies with a special custom aluminum connecter and custom spring. Robert will only sell them to people with the newer R&R magwells due to the weight of the loaded mag. It needs the extra support to keep from breaking off the top of the magazine.

Also like to add that of the top 6 finishers in Open Division, 4 were shooting R&R Saigas!

Doug

pretty cool. Thx for the replies guys. gunfighter, Ron lives ~30 minutes from me ... doesn't surprise me in the least that he hit those 100 yd targets!

Bummer you took the trip over only to bugger your knee up. Maybe you can make a business from a bull pup design on the Saiga, bring the end of that bbl a bit closer to the body, and make it more manuverable?

Anyone who doesn't think there's much difference in a 21 vs 22 round mag, take a look at the stage that starts ~3:15 mark on the youtube video. Tho, with the speed of your moving reloads I think I'd have lost count and loaded a fresh mag during last run .... just for insurance!

Next question, what was the funniest comment thrown at you for the super long mag? heheheh

Looks like you are on your way to being the "sti" of 3 gun shotguns.

I wonder if this will spur a US made copy of the Saiga? I know Alliance has been working on one. I saw the FNH sponsered open shooter on 3gunnation (like a split second shot of him). They've created one of those rotating cylinders for their (primative) belly fed shotgun. Talk about being married to inferior technology. While that mag looked well made of mostly plastic ... how long would it have taken to copy an AK and adapt to shotgun? Or take some semi blueprints and adapt ... mag fed shotguns are the way things to come (obviously). It's like we are living back when detachable mag fed rifles started to appear ... or when semi handguns started to appear amongst revolvers ....

Edited by kmoore

Anyone who doesn't think there's much difference in a 21 vs 22 round mag, take a look at the stage that starts ~3:15 mark on the youtube video. Tho, with the speed of your moving reloads I think I'd have lost count and loaded a fresh mag during last run .... just for insurance!

Next question, what was the funniest comment thrown at you for the super long mag? heheheh

You're probably right, I had to make up several misses and should have run out of ammo, but I had put in the extra round and shot all 22 in the gun. On occasion, I have run the gun dry because I get used to not reloading, something I need to work on. Maybe I'll shoot my Single Stack in the winter to get used to reloading. As for the long mag, I get comments, but most of them are disbelief and not mean or raunchy. Most people are truly stunned at the capacity of my shotgun. That and less than 2 second mag changes and I has helped my shooting increadibly. I now place with some of the top shooters instead of in the middle of the pack when I was shooting a tube fed shotgun. It's alot more fun and thats why I shoot Open.

Doug

• 2 months later...