I guess a few of these 5.45 pistols are being made but I never seen on

Want to see the cheap 5.45 become illegal to sell?

Y'all keep it up.

Why is that? I thought AK pistols (in 7.62x39) were standard items now.

I was hoping for a decent discussion on what is lacking on certain other AK boards that don't seem to warn the few home builders to not make these.

No one seems to want to discuss that though.

Y'all keep it up.

. . before they became "standard items", cheap (soft) steel cored 7.62x39 used to be $40/case. The advent of a "pistol" that could shoot this cheap (soft) steel cored ammo triggered the "no importation or sales of armor piercing pistol ammunition" Federal law.

Wanna see Century et al get stuck with hundreds of tons of cheap 5.45 that they can't sell and you can't buy?

Just let the 5.45x39 AK "pistol" become a "standard item".

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 1

. . before they became "standard items", cheap (soft) steel cored 7.62x39 used to be $40/case. The advent of a "pistol" that could shoot this cheap (soft) steel cored ammo triggered the "no importation or sales of armor piercing pistol ammunition" Federal law.

Wanna see Century et al get stuck with hundreds of tons of cheap 5.45 that they can't sell and you can't buy?

Yikes. Another stupid federal law.

Well, I love my cheap 5.45 ammo. I'll do my part to keep it legal. Mums the word.

Y'all keep it up.

The problem is steel core ammo is politically incorrect for handguns according to the antigun lawmakers. The worry is that if some real

weapons distributor began to make these the powers that be might ban any further importation and sale of steel core surplus 5.45 .

• Like 1

Yikes. Another stupid federal law.

Well, I love my cheap 5.45 ammo. I'll do my part to keep it legal. Mums the word.

Making such pistols is the problem and not talking about why they should not be made is another.

I don't think any major builder is making them for retail. Probably just a few individuals building personal kits.

Y'all keep it up.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=147338473

Whoever JD Tactical is hes making that more likely to happen by actually building them.

One just sold on gunbroker 2 weeks ago. I have started to spot these more often in the past 3 years.

Unfortunately, because its such a taboo issue to even discuss theres too many people unaware that they should not buy

or build one.

Edited by my762buzz

At a local gun show this last late fall and was checking out an AK pistol on a table of one of our local AK gunsmiths and I removed the 7.62x39 mag out and was reading the bottom of the action and it was labeled 5.45x39 and sure enough, looking at the barrel it was. This one was a full stone custom build, but I wanted it BAD! Sweet mother of gun!

You never heard this from me!

:blues:

ED69 sup's with that Avatar? It's giving me the Hebe Jebe's!

:devil:

GERRRRRRRRRR

Edited by Fluid Power

Century makes them for retail.

Draco or Champion pistols. Looking at them right now in the Century Catalog I got not too long ago.

IIRC 5.45mm will never be classed as AP because it's below .22 cal.

Note that:

he definition of AP ammo is at 18 USC sec. 921(a)(17):

"(B) The term `armor piercing ammunition' means-

(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and

which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other

substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass,

bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and

intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25

percent of the total weight of the projectile.

© The term `armor piercing ammunition' does not include shotgun shot

required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting

purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile

which the Secretary finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting

purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Secretary

finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge

used in an oil and gas well perforating device."

Key point: over .22 cal. 5.45 is just under .22 cal.

The cheap 5.45 is NOT in danger of being made illegal at ALL. It's not steel core, tungten core, whatever. The stuff I've seen is lead core bimetal jacket. The chicom stuff banned was steel core, mild. Bullshit still, but whatever.

Not sure where this stuff comes from. All people have to do is read the case history and the relevant laws. No need to delete stuff or get worried because people are building them or selling them.

ETA: 7.62x39mm IS cheap right now. Remember what it was BEFORE the norinco stuff? Wolf a few years ago was cheaper than the chicom stuff ever was barring a few promos.

Edited by Tsm002
  • Like 1

Century makes them for retail.

Draco or Champion pistols. Looking at them right now in the Century Catalog I got not too long ago.

The Draco is offered in 7.62x39 and the Champion in .223 Rem/5.56x45.

Century does not offer a 5.45x39 AK pistol.

The cheap 5.45 is NOT in danger of being made illegal at ALL. It's not steel core, tungten core, whatever. The stuff I've seen is lead core bimetal jacket. The chicom stuff banned was steel core, mild. Bullshit still, but whatever.

You obviously pay too much for your 5.45x39 ammunition.

The Soviet Union surplussed decades worth of it a couple of years ago, and the entire supply that the countries of Poland and Bulgaria owned was sold off by those countries (with the vast majority of it coming here) at around the same time.

This military 5.45x39 DOES have a hardened steel penetrator in it.

You can get this ammo for a dime a round (or less, if you look around).

• Like 1
You can get this ammo for a dime a round (or less, if you look around).

I take it that you are not including shipping in the cost per round. The cheapest deal I've found is AIMSurplus. If you know of something cheaper still, please let me know.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...