What'd you guys do about paint/finish after moving the trigger gro

I've used bbq grill paint and had good results. It the metal isn't prepped correctly, no finish will last.. If sandblasting isn't an option, use sandpaper or something to scuff it up good so the finish will stick... IMO.. BBQ grill paint was much harder to sandblast off than the factory finish. Now I use duracoat. YMMV

Edited by chevymann

Duplicolor 500 Low Gloss Black part number DE1634 is an almost identical match to the color of the factory finish. It's ~$6 at Pep Boys/Autozone/Etc.

To prep the surface, just sand the bottom section of the receiver, I use 60-100 grit. Sometimes 220. Depends what's on hand at the time. Wipe it clean with some alcohol, brake cleaner, whichever. Let it dry then spray it on in 2-3 nice, light coats. You can hit it with a hair dryer to make it dry in only a minute or so. Wait an hour before touching it. Good to go.

Spray Paint is 99% prep, 1% painting. Hope that didn't just sound like a high school gym teacher.

Duplicolor 500, like just about any other engine/header paint I've tried, will wipe right off with just about any solvent. WD-40, Break Free, Brake Cleaner, anything really. So avoid getting solvent on it. But it don't matter much, because when would you clean the back bottom of the receiver? lol. Not very often. And if it did wipe away, you could always just spray more!

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov
  • 2 weeks later...

Brownells bake on lacquer gives a very professional and durable finish.

Matte black or Gloss black? And it's ok to put that receiver in the oven??

Your preference. Yes, goes in the oven for about 25 mins or so at 325 degrees--don't recall the exact directions. Have done several conversions with it and it's great stuff!

• 3 months later...

Your preference. Yes, goes in the oven for about 25 mins or so at 325 degrees--don't recall the exact directions. Have done several conversions with it and it's great stuff!

Just make sure the wife won't be home for several hours!!!! I am expressly forbidden from using any kitchen appliance for guns, no car parts in the dishwasher, etc.

Just make sure the wife won't be home for several hours!!!! I am expressly forbidden from using any kitchen appliance for guns, no car parts in the dishwasher, etc.

You need a good toaster oven.. :)

I like to use Brownells matte black Alumahyde II in the rattle cans. Goes on easy and is tough stuff. The only problem is the nozzles clog up because of how thick the particulates are in it so be sure to get the extra nozzles they offer for it as well.

Sounds delicious, does it come out tender?

All the paints I have tried come off when I wipe them down with gunzilla. The area is parkerized and I didn't tear it up doing the trigger relocation, so I just let it be. Kind of like a beauty mark. Someday I will do a real refinish but until then I don't mind that little bit of gray.