Finished the conversion

Just wanted to say thank you to all who helped me finally put this together. I dragged my feet on this, first looking at the vids, trying to see if I could do this. But I finally decided to do it and sat down to do the conversion a week ago. All in all it didn't that long and went pretty smoothly.(Though I still have a mark where I bashed my thumb when trying to punch out a pin) I just did a meat and potatoes conversion but I did keep the BHO, which I'm glad I did. And I took it out to the range a few days ago and I was amazed at how much of a difference it is shooting it. The trigger is worlds better than the stock and the weight balance is awesome. It is a blast shooting this guy. The only draw back is that I now have to have a raddlock on this guy due to being in Kali, which makes it a bit awkward. But even still, it is worth it to have the conversion. So here's a pic of the saiga. And now that I've seen the light, what else should I do? This my first rifle and I'm pretty happy now I went saiga. Thanks!

post-16522-12650593380036_thumb.jpg

Thanks JulianH, that is that definitely on the list of things to do.

Son of rooster, thanks. It is a saw grip and the "original AK stock" from tapco. Both seem great when I shot them. I read that some folks felt that some stocks left the gun too short and cramped but this stock seemed fine.

GregM1, Thanks. I was surprised at how well it went. I was thinking about getting some more surefire mags. I really don't want to do a conversion to use other mags.

So as far as doing/adding anything else (handguards, optics,etc) any recommendations? I don't need anything fancy but just want to get the most out of my saiga as I can. I can see how much of a difference the conversion did. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something else too. Thanks.

Raddlocks are for the people of cali. It goes where the standard mag release fits and they have a key to use to change mags.

from the raddlock site

RaddLock makes easy-to-install-yourself kits that make your off-list semi-automatic centerfire rifles California-compliant, turning them into "fixed magazine" rifles which are not subject to the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989.

Edited by GregM1

Raddlocks are for the people of cali. It goes where the standard mag release fits and they have a key to use to change mags.

from the raddlock site

RaddLock makes easy-to-install-yourself kits that make your off-list semi-automatic centerfire rifles California-compliant, turning them into "fixed magazine" rifles which are not subject to the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989.

Yep, having a mag lock is the only way for the folks of cali to get AK/AR type rifles. But the guys at Raddlock are very nice folk. But maybe one day I'll be in another state where I get actually some nice stuff like clips that go beyond 10 rounds. . .

Also I was thinking about getting a sgm tri rail. Anybody like these?

Edited by JT1911

I agree...shoot it! Then move away from Kali, get some 30 rounders and shoot it some more! :D

I suppose if you got bored, you could sit down with a Dremel and a beer and vent the handguard.

You know, I was thinking about that. I figured if I was going to drop the dough to get the tri rail, might as well try to vent the handguard and if it turns out horrible I have the new handguard. Now difficult is that by the way?

I agree...shoot it! Then move away from Kali, get some 30 rounders and shoot it some more! :D

I suppose if you got bored, you could sit down with a Dremel and a beer and vent the handguard.

You know, I was thinking about that. I figured if I was going to drop the dough to get the tri rail, might as well try to vent the handguard and if it turns out horrible I have the new handguard. Now difficult is that by the way?

Not very hard at all. If you run a search, you can probably find a write-up or two about it. The hardest part is making everything clean and uniform looking.

Actually, a Saiga in stock form, or with a Monster Man Grip can legally use pre-ban detachable 30 round magazines, since they lack evil folding stocks, pistol grip, or flash hider. You have to have owned yhe mags before the ban, however.

I just did my 4th one. Took about 2 hours start to finish, including set up, dis-assembly, restoral, repaining the bottom, and assembling.

Not too shabby. I'm sure you have it down to a science at this point.

jc-75, yeah I know about the monster man grip but to be honest I really don't like the way it looks. Maybe I'm just shallow(actually that is it) but I'll sacrifice some functionality and convenience for looks. I'm not planning on taking on any militarized zombie hoards, so I don't mind the extra 5 seconds it takes to detach the mag. And plus I don't have any pre-ban mags. :(

Looks good! I did a very basic conversion myself. Let me ask you... Did you secure the trigger guard under the mag release? Did anyone do this? I just screwed it in on the other side only.(Under the grip) Just left the forward tab of it floating under the mag release. It was a nightmare trying to drill through that one part. Maybe my bit was dead by then.

no mines just hangin out under the mag catch too... gonna buy a new guard soon and a bho spring cause mine flew off somewheres

Haha yeah that BHO spring can be tricky. I had to order a new trigger guard because I mutilated the stock one... It's a fun project and a part of me wants to pick up a second one for the heck of it.

I see you are one of ten non-liberals in CT. LOL I'm one the those ten as well! I'm in Hartford County. Where you at?

fairfield county, this place is full of douche bags haha im stuck between bridgeport and greenwich, id be more specific but the web being what it is cant be too liberal with information

I hear you... Nothing wrong with a basic conversion. I do want to add the krebs peep sight, XS tritium stripe front sight, Krebs safety, surefire tri rail. Then it would be PERFECT!!!

Edited by CTfam

from the raddlock site

How the hell do they load the damn thing?

Dinzag Arms has a complete trigger guard replacement works great you might check it out http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/convkit.html also a bad azz safety lever mod that is a real bolt hold open http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/sslbho.html they rock... :super:

That's what I used. Worked great. No need to mess with the stock one. Quick and simple.

from the raddlock site

How the hell do they load the damn thing?

It is a bit awkward. Especially since the surefire/saiga mags are more vertical and then close to the trigger guard. You have to put the "tool" into the mag release where there's a hole and then with the tool in rock the mag release towards the mag. And as I was saying, since the magazine is so vertical, it makes it a bit difficult but even still it's worth it to have the pistol grip and other "evil" features.

fairfield county, this place is full of douche bags haha im stuck between bridgeport and greenwich, id be more specific but the web being what it is cant be too liberal with information

I hear you... Nothing wrong with a basic conversion. I do want to add the krebs peep sight, XS tritium stripe front sight, Krebs safety, surefire tri rail. Then it would be PERFECT!!!

I was looking at the krebs peep sigth and XS tritium stripe front site and they look like great additions. How difficult are they to install?

I was looking at the krebs peep sigth and XS tritium stripe front site and they look like great additions. How difficult are they to install?

Haven't done it myself. I can't imagine it's that hard. If you can do a conversion you can certainly change the site. Check out ytube.