$300 Washington NFA Gun Trusts

As some of you know I am a Washington attorney with my advanced legal degree in tax and estate planning...wills trusts etc. I have now associated with David Goldman the Florida NFA Gun Trust attorney. That means I will get to use his documents and I will just tweak them for Washington law and meet with clients. In addition, as he already has an internet presence he will refer Washington inquires my way. In exchange I will give him 50%. Anyway in talking with Mr. Goldman today I mentioned this board and told him I would like to give you guys a good deal on a Trust for all the help I have received here. He said that I could do it for you guys at half price...I'm going to charge starting out $600-$750....so $300. We would have a conference call with Mr Goldman. Either he or I (and I suspect him at first) would draft the trust and I would tweak it for Washington law. Mr. Goldman wanted me to put a one month time limit on it because "things on the internet seem to linger". I can live with a couple/few months....but the conference call might go away. My criteria are as follows. You are a Washington state resident, you are a contributor on this board and have been here as long as I have...we can always talk about that one. And that you come to me as I don't do roadtrips. This is a good deal if you are a Washington resident considering getting a suppressor, a destructive device or AOW. Lastly I will be applying for my license in Idaho...soon.

Hey there To The Floor;

When creating a trust is it required that we name it: the John Q. Public Trust

or is it OK to make up a name like: the Public Big Toys Trust

Every discussion of trusts that Ive seen talks about engraving the persons name, middle initial, last name, so Im curious.

TIA

Harv

Hey there To The Floor;

When creating a trust is it required that we name it: the John Q. Public Trust

or is it OK to make up a name like: the Public Big Toys Trust

Every discussion of trusts that Ive seen talks about engraving the persons name, middle initial, last name, so Im curious.

TIA

Harv

Federal law says the name of the manufacturer has to be engraved.

If your form 1 is in your personal name (you got the chief to sign off, sent the fingerprints, etc), then yes, it's your name.

If your form 1 is in your trust name, then you put the name of the trust.

I heard a story the other day and what I think I got out of it was that when talking about a machine gun the machine gun isn't the whole thing, the sear is the "machine gun" and I guess you have to have the name of the trust engraved on the sear??? I guess the moral of the story was to try to keep your trust name short. In Washington I think I could name a trust anything I wanted but I would have to take a minute to look on line in the state statutes...probate and trust law...to see if that is correct. If I am wrong on something like engraving the sear someone please speak up as I am like a sponge trying to soak it all up.

Depends on the machine gun. A while back the ATF decided that devices that could render firearms into machine guns also counted as machine guns and as such were subject to the NFA. Hence, "sear guns" where the sear is the registered machine gun, in a "host gun," this is most common with HK derivatives with a registered sear or trigger pack, AR-15 with a registered link or sear, and M1 carbines with a registered sear/pack to convert them to an M2 configuration. It seems in general that registered receiver guns are more valuable.

You don't have to worry about trying to engrave a trust name on a sear though, since registering new machine guns by anyone but a licensed manufacturer was outlawed in 1986.

Edited by Shandlanos
  • 2 months later...

The attorney doing my Trust said all I need are my initials and initials of the county I am in, stamped into the Gun. I am in Fla. so maybe the law is a bit different. I was worried about having a extra long name for my Trust and spending tons of cash on engraving.

• 10 months later...

I'm new to the site so I know I've already broken one of your tenants, but I have a few questions.

In forming a trust, do we fall under RCW 9.41.190 Exceptions? How does one qualify for exception B. Does one have to be an actual manufacture for profession, or may one be a manufacturer for themselves?

If having a Trust allows for these exceptions, then I will personally drive to Eastern (i'm in Olympia) and pay you in cash.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by S.O.S. Marshals

The attorney doing my Trust said all I need are my initials and initials of the county I am in, stamped into the Gun. I am in Fla. so maybe the law is a bit different. I was worried about having a extra long name for my Trust and spending tons of cash on engraving.

Hmm.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2010/03/batfe-engraving-requirements-f.html#more

1) On the Frame or Receiver the Serial number;

2) on the frame, receiver, or barrel the following additional information;

A)The model;

B)The caliber or gage;

C)Your name or name of the Trust in the case of a Trust (no abbreviations are permitted for the Trust name);

D)The city and state (you can abbreviate the state with the official 2 digit state code)

Sorry guys this is an old thread and I haven't been watching it...I've been watching the girls in fight club. Yes the trust allows you to own an NFA item...but state law trumps so no sbs, sbr or mg's in WA. It is written to comply with the National Firearms Act and provide you personal protection that a regular living trust doesn't. S.O.S sorry but I don't know that I know the answer to your question. You don't need law enforcement signoff on the purchase your item but the item still goes through a class III dealer and I don't know what he wants to complete the transfer. Maybe someone else can tell you what the class III dealer does in the transfer. I am still working my way through my first NFA item. I would think someone along the line is checking who you (even as a trustee) are to see if you are elligable to own a firearm???

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

Sorry guys this is an old thread and I haven't been watching it...I've been watching the girls in fight club. Yes the trust allows you to own an NFA item...but state law trumps so no sbs, sbr or mg's in WA. It is written to comply with the National Firearms Act and provide you personal protection that a regular living trust doesn't. S.O.S sorry but I don't know that I know the answer to your question. You don't need law enforcement signoff on the purchase your item but the item still goes through a class III dealer and I don't know what he wants to complete the transfer. Maybe someone else can tell you what the class III dealer does in the transfer. I am still working my way through my first NFA item. I would think someone along the line is checking who you (even as a trustee) are to see if you are elligable to own a firearm??? Feel free to contact me off the link below.

http://www.subguns.c...query=retrieval

thanks , that's what I figured as far as state law, interesting ..... might be away around those sheriffs who refuse to sign off any NFA items (silencers).... I"m sure it happens

You don't need law enforcement signoff on the purchase your item but the item still goes through a class III dealer and I don't know what he wants to complete the transfer. Maybe someone else can tell you what the class III dealer does in the transfer. I am still working my way through my first NFA item. I would think someone along the line is checking who you (even as a trustee) are to see if you are elligable to own a firearm???

What the dealer "needs" to complete the transfer is the approved, stamped and signed form 4 the ATF will mail to him. They also have to fill out an ATF form of some type for showing they sold you the NFA weapon but I don't think a NICS check is required, just verification that you are the trustee on the form 4. They probably will also want $75 bucks or whatever he charges for the paperwork hassle if you paid someone else for the NFA weapon.