Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are people who are genuinely needy and have no other choice. On the other hand I have observed what looks like a trend toward people making this their 9-5 job. Their is an overpass near where I live and I have actually seen them "changing shifts". I have only given one time to a guy in a wheelchair with a dog on the corner outside a Walmart and I gave him and his dog some food. I don't know if the wheelchair and the dog were just just "props" or not. Maybe and maybe not but if so he suckered me that time. What do you all think about these people? Am I just overly skeptical, or are a good percentage of these people scammers?

the amount of taxmoney we are pouring in to taking care of these people.. likely they are not being 100% honest with you. Some of them doubtless are genuine, but the vast majority arn't.. and unfortunately they detract from the real people in need.

In DC we said, "Always check the shoes."; I spent a lot of my 20's going to clubs in DC, in bad neighborhoods; any time a beggar would ask for change, I'd look at his shoes... Generally, a guy who really needs help will be wearing worn out shoes; while a faker/scammer will wear brand new sneakers. Hands are also a good indicator, if you shake the hand of someone claiming to be a vet who needs help, his or her hands will be rough like sandpaper and the nails will be dirty and unkempt.

I guess the bigger question is.. should you give them money? Probably not, but you can do whatever you want with your cash. If you have strong feelings, it is probably better to donate your time and/or money to a local soup kitchen, lamb center or religious organization. Those places are going to provide actual help to people who need it; unfortunately many homeless people have mental illness and/or drug/alcohol issues, so giving them money directly will probably go to feed their addictions.

• Like 1

A homeless guy once told my father who worked security at a bus station, "You have to be a complete idiot to starve to death in this country."

The amount of just expired food that grocers and restaurants throw out in this country would feed half of Africa.

If you gave most of these homeless pan-handlers a million dollars they would be back on the street penny-less in a year. If you took all the money away from a millionaire entrepreneur, he would probably have it back within ten years. THAT is why America is great!

I currently work 1 full-time and 2 part-time jobs so I can own a house and have money for things I like. It's because I WORK for it.

I would eat out of a dumpster before I would ask for money from a stranger without working for it. I would be in line with the illegals looking for manual labor if I had no money for clothes or rent.

So my take on if they are able bodied and pan handling: FUCK 'EM SIDEWAYS!

The local news did a story on corner collectors a year or so back. They followed one guy when he left his corner through an empty lot to his Ford Explorer. He changed his clothes, checked his golf bag and drove off. Not all are needy.

I give.

Even if I think they are able bodied. I feel disgusted that a young man who could work is begging, but I still give.

I look at it as tithe. I'm not giving to them per say, but to the Lord.

Maybe I'm a sucker. But I feel I should.

I usually give a dollar wrapped around a cigarette. If I'm doing well at the time, more.

If someone is homeless & addicted to heroin or alcohol, I figure if they spend it on their poison, so be it.

Hope it makes them feel better.

If I see someone digging through trash, while I'm going through a drive-through to get food, I grab a couple burgers off the dollar menu.

I understand both sides of the argument, but just to be safe, I think about the story of Lazarus & give.

• Like 2

Usually scams. You can make a lot of $$ in the right location. I have viewed several "changing of the guards" where someone pulls into a nearby lot, parks their late model shiny pick up truck, walks over to the "beggar" and stand around for a while before handing off the keys to the truck, then taking over the post!

If you really care about people in need, the only REAL way of getting them what they need is to donate that change to the homeless shelters or food bank. Folks who need it know where those places are. The people in the scams don't usually go to the food bank or soup kitchens.

• Like 2

I was headed to the store one day a couple years ago. Saw a guy with a sign, and for some reason, decided to grab 3-$10 gift cards for the supermarket I was in, and give them to him. I had seen him around town before walking with some young'ns, all who looked a little "beggarish".

Maybe it was the fact that it was Christmas time or something, but I felt a real "urge" to help this guy. Hopefully, he got some real food for him and his kids, and didn't sell the cards or go straight to the beer cooler in the store.

Other than that, I don't make a habit of giving beggars money. Spend a day in NYC, and you'll soon learn that if you tried to help every beggar out..........you'd be dead broke within a 4 block walk.

Most of the ones around here aren't even trying; I see them cleanly shaved wearing alligator shirts or some such yuppie shit even nicer than the rags I wear.

My favorite ones are the guys who have a sign that simply says "unemployed veteran" or something to that effect. It takes some willpower on my part not to roll down my window and yell "Hey, ME TOO!" :rolleyes:

• Like 1

You know what else is bad? People calling or going door to door claiming to be from the local fire or ambulance department. I gladly support my local fire and ambulance, and it's really disgusting that ripoff artists would take advantage people's goodwill AND steal money from emergency responders.

As for panhandlers in big cities who come up to the side of your car trying to wash windows or get a handout: that's what pepper spray is for.

• Like 1

Sometimes the problem is not seen thus making them look willing and able bodied. In or around 1990 there was a Psych hospital in NE Philadelphia, right on Roosevelt blvd (huge road with highway like traffic) that shut down due to lack of funding or whatever. Those patients that had relatives or loved ones or were just lucky were relocated to other psych hospitals. The rest were just released outside and the doors closed behind them. Afterwords for years you would see them begging in the middle of the blvd next to the traffic lights. Some you could tell were mentally not stable other not so much. Cant always tell who's really able bodied. Sometimes I give sometimes not but, like Paulyski, if I see a homeless person while I'm near a fast food place I'll pull in and grab something from the dollar menu.

• Like 1

.......I'm disabled, but you often can not tell it. If I pull up my pants legs, you can tell real fast. I have my better days, and try to get out and do routine stuff around the yard, house or shopping. Some days, are just a wash. They will not even accept me at the Vocational rehab, until I have a number of issues addressed. Which seems like it will take years to fix. Those years waiting for disability were pretty rough. I lost quite a bit of stuff, and more or less sold stuff until I finally got a hearing. But the point is, even though I was broke, there were plenty of avenues for help. Between DFAC's(family services), charitable nurses and doctors, churches, food banks;I did not starve or not have clothes or anything. I asked and got directed to help for chow, meds, heat, just like anyone else can. Quite a few of our local semi-homeless/homeless also get Mental Health counseling and monitoring here in Georgia. I got that to, for anger management after getting after some creditors. On the flip side, I was pretty adamant about hanging on to as much stuff as I could. I'm very glad I was.

These days I still have my land, an RV and Camper, and a modicum of household stuff left. So no complaints. Kudos and thanks to all the many folks who helped me along when I needed it. Sadly I realize not everyone is like that. Just in our neighborhood, we have a family that is completely on disability, and is banned from most of the area shopping centers for aggressive panhandling. You can almost set your watch by the Sheriff's visits to the place, for gawd knows what offenses. The farther away from them I am, the better. I never really thought I'd ever think or say that about someone, but alas, there it is. There are also a smattering of legitimately disabled folks who like me, worked all of their life, and had some calamity or infirmity set in. After working two and sometimes three jobs at a time for over forty years, sitting around being sick really,really sucks! Especially as you come to grips with the fact, no matter how much you WANT to go, the body fails you. It's almost like a prison in many ways. Replete with plenty of conditionals along the way.

I will never give to any panhandler. I will not even engage them, or harass or attack them. There are plenty of options for those in need. You can't tell their true motive or condition. They may even be dangerous to have at close quarters. As a 6'3" 300 pound former lineman, I can tell you about some scary individuals interned down at the Mental Health place. Many drug straight off the street. If you really want to help them, volunteer locally at the many charity and causes. Keep some cards in your wallet with addresses of those places if you feel compelled to engage them. Just remember, the compelling part is often designed to lure you in. If they need help, the places that help people are their best option anyway....

• Like 3

I see a lot of parking lot beggars that get you on your way in or out of a store or restaurant. They claim that they just need some gas money to get home.

Amazingly I see them two weeks later in the same parking lot asking for gas money to get home.

By giving to thieves and liars, I would become a part of their sin because it allows them to perpetuate it!

The ones that piss me off are the ones who have their little cardboard signs saying "Viet Nam Vet" who just aren't near old enough to have been in 'Nam............

I get pissed at this sort of stuff too...

As far as the OP, If i see a homeless person/begger with a dog, I'll give the dog food and watch the dog eat it. That animal could take care of itself if it wern't on a leash, why should it suffer for its owner?

I was at a concert in Philly one time and we saw an old grizzled guy sleeping under a bush. We got all our change together and spelled "GET A JOB" in a circle around him.

At a show in Baltimore, two guys came up begging, so I put a dollar in one hand and a quarter in the other and said who ever barks like a dog the best gets the dollar. The entertainment was worth the $1.25 I paid!

I will surely burn for those.

I was at a concert in Philly one time and we saw an old grizzled guy sleeping under a bush. We got all our change together and spelled "GET A JOB" in a circle around him.

At a show in Baltimore, two guys came up begging, so I put a dollar in one hand and a quarter in the other and said who ever barks like a dog the best gets the dollar. The entertainment was worth the $1.25 I paid!

bet you couldnt walk a mile in their shoes!

Edited by eric1785

two beggars live around the corner from me... their house is bigger than mine. they do shifts at a 95 off ramp, and i guess the brother owns a chandalier business that they operate out of their house. really pisses me off. kinda wanna chuck a bunch of copper and steel washers at em and watch them chase after nothing.

edited to fix grammar and sentence structure

Edited by 86camaro

two beggars live around the corner from me... their house is bigger than mine. they do shifts at a 95 off ramp, and i guess the brother owns a chandalier business that they operate out of their house. really pisses me off. kinda wanna chuck a bunch of copper and steel washers at em and watch them chase after nothing.

edited to fix grammar and sentence structure

Careful! Around here washers cost about 5 cents each! I actually drill holes in pennies and get 5 washers for a penny each. Them thar washers is valuable stuff!

bet you couldnt walk a mile in their shoes!

I wouldn't want to, those shoes were beat to hell and stinky. I've done my share of helping people out, but there for a while I was hitting a lot of big city concerts, and it gets real annoying going from the car, bar, and show and just getting bombarded by them. Besides, in Baltimore there was a rough lookin' old black guy with a hotdog cart who'd come around after the show. I used buy ass loads of 'em! Best I ever ate!

living in a military town sucks because every one knows when pay day is and they are out in full force. Growing up my parents would never give money to people but rather offer to buy what ever that person claimed to need. If A guy claims to be hungry but turns down dinner at the local dinner their a faker. I had a room mate in Iraq who was a bum before enlisting and was planning to go back to it when he got out since he could make a lot in a day begging. I just give my time and money to the church. I have no problem buying a few extra things in the donation bin Sunday morning in case some one comes in looking for food or cloths.

Whenever I see a bum I try to hook it up with a dollar if I've got one to spare. If not, at least a cigarette. Telling these guys to get a job is pointless, I'm sure most of them would love to have a job. But who's going to hire a bum? I remember when I was 16 or 17 I used to hang out with a bum all the time. He was a Vietnam Marine and actually talked me into joining the Corps. I always smoked pot with him and would throw him some cash to pick me up a bottle of vodka and we'd work on the bottle together. He was a good guy, he just got dealt a real shitty hand. I'm usually living on the edge of poverty nowadays and try to remember that it could always be me on the corner tomorrow.