Grenade Launcher Classifacation???

• 2 weeks later...

Its a Destructive Device. 40mm is automatic DD because of the ammunition avalible.

37mm flare launchers can be registered as Destructive Devices on Form1's also. If you want to make and launch Anti-personnel ammunition out of it, Otherwise your limited to Flares, smoke, and less lethal rounds.

Edited by mike123456

40mm launcher = Large Bore Destructive Device. $200 Form 1.

40mm shell = Explosive Destructive Device. $200 Form 1 for EACH SHELL. Fun, huh?

You can transfer them on a form4 and dont need to form1 "make" it.

HE ammo you have to get a explosives permit first. That requires you to have a bunker or explosive storage magazine to store excess explosive material. You can put a contingency plan on the permit application and just have permission to use someone elses bunker or magazine. There are a lot of states that don't allow explosive DD, or individuals to have an explosive permit.

It will be way easyer to make your own HE grenades on form1's because the manufacturers don't serial number 40mm rounds, or register them in the NFRTR. I dont know if its even possable for someone else to register these.

ITS NOT ALL EXPLOSIVE AMMO! you can get Parachute flares, chalk practice rounds, buckshot, 12&20ga adaptors, .22 beehive rounds, flechette, colored smoke, CS&CN tear gas, less lethal bean bags, rubber buckshot, rubber batton, etc. ALS even made a capture net you fire from the launcher. You can make your own ammo and launch almost anything that will fit in the barrel. The possabilitys are endless.

heres a pic of my launcher, one of my favorite pic's. I wouldent buy a launcher unless you like reloading. The cheapest loaded ammo is $6.00 a round and you have to buy 100 to get that price.

M2033.jpg

Edited by mike123456
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If you register a 37mm launcher as a DD and make your own rounds (buckshot or whatever), does each 37mm shell have to be registered and a $200 tax paid for each round? Is that just for explosive rounds?

Thanks

Corbin

Just explosive ones, as they are considered "destructive devices" on their own. You can buy a 37mm flare launcher without any paperwork, as it isn't considered a gun. If you fire things other than smoke or flares, you have illegally made it a DD. You have to Form1 it as a DD before you fire buckshot and that kind of stuff. And the rounds are just ammunition, unless they have over a certain amount of chemical explosive.

I'm not a lawyer.