Just picked up this Olympic Arms 20" upper chambered in .243 WSSM! (Win. super-short mag.) I've been having some "growing pains" while hunting coyotes with my .223 so I decided to pick this up.

WSSMUpper.jpg

You can see the round next to a .223

WSSM_223.jpg

And here's the loaded mags for comparison

WSSMMags.jpg

I'm really stoked about this gun, I didn't even know they existed until about a month ago. I started searching for one, but everyone who builds them was 1 year out. The cool thing about it is you can get .243 ballistics (actually, a little better) in a lightweight AR-15 frame. The magazine is actually a modded 20 rounder, and it holds 7 rounds. I'm told it's relatively simple to do this mod, so standby for WSSM P-Mags. The uppers are also available in .223 WSSM (smokes a 220 swift) and 25 WSSM (about eq. to a 25-06).

I wish I could post a range report, but I had some troubles my first time out. I'm loading Hornady 58gr Vmax's at about 3900fps. The barrel twist is 1/8 so I'm thinking this may be too light of a bullet for the barrel. I shot about 15 rounds without malfunction, but some of them appeared to be keyholing. I'm not positive on this, I'm using a new target material and it could just be "shattering" the paper, but I'll find out tomorrow morning when I get her back out.

I think I am ultimately going to switch to the 87gr Vmax. It has a wicked BC of .400 and carries a lot of energy out to the "fun" hunting range, 5-800yds. Will update this post once I get a load I like and get some groups.

This is really more of a target/hunting rifle than a SHTF gun. However, I think it would make a pretty good DMR in 25 or 243. We'll have to see how many rounds a 30 rounder will take. ETA - The 30 rounder takes 11 fyi

Edited by shaneman153a

Crazy shit! I have been trying to talk a buddy of mine into an ak for some time now. He loves to shoot my ak, but I cant convince him to buy his own, hell who knows why. Anyways the conversation today ended up with him asking me if I knew of any ak type/semi auto mag fed rifle chambered in .243 and how he would love to have one....we discussed this for some time, but I really havnt looked into it so i dont have a clue.

I think the discussion is legit I guess if I look at it threw his eyes, lets be honest, the .243 aint not bitch.

• Like 1

Crazy shit! I have been trying to talk a buddy of mine into an ak for some time now. He loves to shoot my ak, but I cant convince him to buy his own, hell who knows why. Anyways the conversation today ended up with him asking me if I knew of any ak type/semi auto mag fed rifle chambered in .243 and how he would love to have one....we discussed this for some time, but I really havnt looked into it so i dont have a clue.

I think the discussion is legit I guess if I look at it threw his eyes, lets be honest, the .243 aint not bitch.

True, but it's a hell of a lot more than a .223!

BTW, you can get a Valmet Hunter in .243, but I've never heard anything good about them. If he's real handy he could convert a Saiga .308. .308 is the parent cartridge after all.

Hmm... Well I've tried 13 different loads in this gun (58gr, 87gr, one type of powder) and the best I can do is about 1.75" :unsure:

I guess I got one built on a friday afternoon!

Not too worried about it, my deer rifle won't do any better than that and I've dropped yotes and deer waaaaay out there. Just kinda pisses me off that I have to carry around the extra weight of the bull barrel and get no benefit!

I'm sure your a hard core re-loader, but back in my 220 swift and 22-250 days there is an issue of light bullets in a fast twist rate where they start to come apart (which destroys accuracy). Yours is a fast twist for such a light bullet at that speed. This is just the opposite of the 5.56x45 and 5.45x39 heavy bullets in the slow twist as that's a condition that will not stabilize the bullet. I had a .243 custom bench rest rifle that had issues with the lightest bullet weights as well. with 70 gr Nosler ballistic tips on the other hand would put 5 shots in Lincolns head of a dime at 100 yards. (could shoot the eye out of Washington on a quarter!) Your cartridge is smoking that light bullet. Most Reloading Manuals should address this issue.

I hate you lucky bastard, that rifle is frickin beautiful. Post some targets.

:super:

I'm sure your a hard core re-loader, but back in my 220 swift and 22-250 days there is an issue of light bullets in a fast twist rate where they start to come apart (which destroys accuracy). Yours is a fast twist for such a light bullet at that speed. This is just the opposite of the 5.56x45 and 5.45x39 heavy bullets in the slow twist as that's a condition that will not stabilize the bullet. I had a .243 custom bench rest rifle that had issues with the lightest bullet weights as well. with 70 gr Nosler ballistic tips on the other hand would put 5 shots in Lincolns head of a dime at 100 yards. (could shoot the eye out of Washington on a quarter!) Your cartridge is smoking that light bullet. Most Reloading Manuals should address this issue.

I hate you lucky bastard, that rifle is frickin beautiful. Post some targets.

:super:

Thanks fluid, and no, I'm not a hard-core reloader, pretty new actually. I figured the 58's would be a bit light, but thought I would give them the ol' college try anyway. I'd post some target pics but I do my testing at 50 and most of my other shooting at 200+. I'm taking it out tomorrow to zero the 87s at 215, then checking the turrets at longer ranges (if the damn thing can hit!) I'll try to post some pics afterward, but might not have time, if not, thurs night.

Well finally got it out to the range to zero. Flaming pissed. Could barely keep it on an 8.5x11.5 sheet of paper. Either I got hosed and the barrel is trashed, or my cheap-ass scope is not holding zero. (Very possible)

I tried to take pictures of the target but I threw up on it when I saw it.

Shaneman... Chances are you have a 1 in 10 twist barrel and I would recommend bullets in the 95 - 120 grain weight...

Also, if/when you reload them, you WILL be able to tune the load to that rifle and dial it in... dont give up on it in frustration yet, my friend... patience... It can be a matter of a HALF grain of powder to bring accuracy within your desired spec. Also, depending on WHICH powder you use may also cause loads to fluctuate. I will PM you some data to try that I think will do you right. :up:

:smoke:

Thanks guys. Just got some advice from Mike @ Dtech (He builds custom WSSM uppers and has lots of experience) and he recommended a bullet/powder combo that he thinks will work. I think I'm also gonna swap scopes and take it to the range. I wouldn't put it past my cheapo BSA to not hold zero.

Indy - It's a 1/8 twist, should definitely favor the heavy bullets.

Thanks guys. Just got some advice from Mike @ Dtech (He builds custom WSSM uppers and has lots of experience) and he recommended a bullet/powder combo that he thinks will work. I think I'm also gonna swap scopes and take it to the range. I wouldn't put it past my cheapo BSA to not hold zero.

Yeah BSA isn't going to get it. If you want to stay under $250 I'd recommend the Vortex crossfire 6-24x50 that I run or the Bushnell 3200 Tactical 10x40. Both are mildot scopes and both can take a mag bolt action so your semi auto is nothing. Also the warrentee on the Vortex is awsome and they will overnight you a replacement if anything ever happens to your scope.

Good luck,

Merrit

SGT USMC vet.

Oh, sorry my bad... I was just recalling what I have read on them... that the 1/8's should be marked accordingly... I didnt hear mention of it, so figured it wasnt, and you didnt know...

BUT...

With all that in mind, thats very likely the reason the light ones are not shooting very well... :up:

What loads did he suggest for ya?? just out of curiosity?

Also, if you got the funds... the Vortex is an excellent choice... some other brands you may want to consider are Meopta, or Sightron... both are excellent optics in a similar price range.

Ive killed plenty of Coyotes with my Remington 700 SPS Varmint Rifle in .223 out to 500 yards. Of course i have a Shephard 5.56 Tactical/Varminter scope on it and i handload EVERYTHING for that Rifle, but there is NOTHING wrong with a .223 if the shots are properly placed!

There is if it's a 16" bbl and your "accuracy load" is a 40gr VMax at 2900fps....

Oh, sorry my bad... I was just recalling what I have read on them... that the 1/8's should be marked accordingly... I didnt hear mention of it, so figured it wasnt, and you didnt know...

BUT...

With all that in mind, thats very likely the reason the light ones are not shooting very well... :up:

What loads did he suggest for ya?? just out of curiosity?

Also, if you got the funds... the Vortex is an excellent choice... some other brands you may want to consider are Meopta, or Sightron... both are excellent optics in a similar price range.

He said to try Sierra 85gr BTHPs and Varget. Kinda low on funds now so I'm waiting. Also I'm gonna slap a diff scope on it and rule that out first..

Yeah looking at the Vortex's I could get a 30mm job for a little over two bills...