Saiga 12ga.

Hi I'm new here. I just started getting into AK type rifles. Didn't realise that Saiga made a shotgun with AK action. Anyway I'm thinking of getting a shotgun for the wife HD. How is the recoil on the 12 ga? I assume that since its a semi-auto that recoil would be less than my Reminton 870 pump. Is that true? Would I be better of getting 20 ga? Thanks zeekh

I assume that since its a semi-auto that recoil would be less than my Reminton 870 pump. Is that true?

Hell yes it's true. My son has an 870 and I have the Saiga 12. I had never shot his gun but when I got my Saiga we went out shooting and I let him try mine and I tried his. I was use to the Saiga and when I pulled to trigger on his 870 I didn't expect the extra kick it had over the Saiga. Needless to say I prefer the Saiga, it is way more comfortable to shoot. Get the Saiga especially if you already have a 12ga. That way you won't have to deal with multiple ammo types.

ever seen what happens when you put a 20 gauge round in a 12? try an empty hull out on your twelve. lodges in the barrel, and will allow the second round to be chambered and fired. boom! its always a good plan to stick to one gauge if your activities allow. yeh there is DEFINATELY a big difference between 3" slugs out of a fixed breach weapon and a gas operated semi auto like the saiga. i expect that my retina will stay attached for a bunch more years now that i switched over to my saiga for most of my shotgunning....something to consider if you are a frequent shooter of the big kicking firearms out there.

:unsure: I have worked in the shooting sports my whole life. I have worked my way up from trap boy, to assistant-trainer for an Olympic Skeet Team coaching clinic and now during the fall weekends I operate and own my own bird guide business, after working for other outfitters and Clubs over the years. I also put myself through school as a Hunting/fishing Guide. :zorro:

:smoke: So I know a little about the physics of shooting and the abilities of the shooter.

Recoil is a major problem for many small framed shooters. Recoil is even a major problem for new shooters allsizes and ages.

I have worked in Pro-clinics with Olympic Eye Doctors and never the subject about retina detachment ever came up, not once! You have to realize those people training for the Olympics are shooting over two to four hours a day and countless, I mean countless of thousands of rounds of 12ga. shotshells.

If it where to happen it would happen to a Olympian if it were to happen to anyone. :chris:

I personaly shoot several thousand magnum loads in a season. THE REAL DANGER is to your hearing. What! Your hearing I said!

WHAT I RECOMEND FOR YOU IS TO BUY THE SAIGA-12GA. :dollar::dollar:

Most likekly you will shoot it more than your wife, haa hhaaa hee! :haha:

SERIOUSLY!

You should put in the Black jack buffer and you should put on the Pachmyer Decelerator but-pad.

IF YOU THINK THAT IT IS TO LONG FOR YOUR WIFE to shoulder, GET A SAIGA WOOD STOCK and cut it down to fit OR CUT YOURS DOWN AND put a stock filler (i.e. wood) in the now cut plastic stock, secure the two together(glue, screws) and attache the recoil pad to the filler material.

WHY?

The worst thing is for a woman or child when first learning to shoot is trying to shoulder a shotgun that's stock is to long. It actaully INCREASES felt RECOIL and prevents proper eye alignment and target aquisition.

Barrel porting or shotgun muzzlebrakes help a lot too to tame barrel rise, which without porting allows the shotgun to pivot and dig into the shoulder at an angle causing the stock to rub raw most small frame shooters. It also helps a shooter to make faster follow up shots.

THE MOST IMPORTANT to tame recil is the type of ammo you shoot. LOW RECOIL shotgun ammo is fastly becoming the ammo of choice for Law Enforcement.

Why? :lolol:

:super: Because it's easier to make follow-up shots with it, remember a shotgun is not a miracle gun, you still have to put the site on the target to hit it.

I SUGGEST you buy the Low Recoil buckshot and set your Saiga-12 at a setting that will handle the lower recoil ammo yet function flawlessly.

Have your wife shoot light dove loads, like Winchester 7/8 oz. 1/2 dram loads. It doesn't matter what size the shot is, because a ounce of 8's is the same wieght as a ounce of buckshot. An ounce is an ounce and Newtonian Law is in effect when shotgun shooting. The lighter the shot and the less powder pushing that load the lighter the recoil.

SIMPLE, RIGHT? :rolleyes:

I also suggest that if you live in an apartment or have children that you woud consider their safety when blowing away an intruder. I Suggest you use light loads and not heavy buck shot. :angel:

At 10 yards with an open choke it is hard to tell the difference between buckshot and bird shot when passing through drywall and insulation. A good light Duck load is going to kill anybody walking down your hall as if it were a Blazer Safety round. BUT IT wont be going through your neighbors house an killing him in his sleep. A 1oz. Steel Shoot load will blow a hole in a Lage mans chest at 10yds that you could put two fists in and clap your hands on the other side. It is leathal on soft targets but is stoped easily by multiple 2x4's and layers of drywall. :eek:

Also it is a load that you can practice with and become familiar with quite cheaply compared to buckshot. :killer:

:ded: I have killed a 5 pt. Bone and Crocket Black Tail deer at 15yds. with a 3" goose load when he came to close to my duck blind. ONE SHOT, ONE KILL!! A limit of ducks, 2 geese and a buck all in two hours. What a great hunt! :haha: