One basically indisputable advantage of the AR platform over the AK is the easy thumb safety system compared to that huge Industrial Age lever. Does anybody have any good ideas on how to put together or where to purchase a thumb safety switch for a Saiga? I know that Krebs has one on their KTR-08 rifle but they don't offer the part alone and there is no way I'm spending that much money on such a similar weapon to the one that I already have. I was thinking that it should be relatively easy to rig something up that could connect to the existing safety selector. If anyone has a KTR-08, I would love to see some pics of that safety switch from inside the receiver. Thanks everyone.

One basically indisputable advantage of the AR platform over the AK is the easy thumb safety system compared to that huge Industrial Age lever.

It is not indisputable. During a high adrenaline event like a firefight, I'd rather have the system that relies on gross motor control (big safety lever) than fine motor control (tiny button).

When I got my first Saiga, I was going to have a notched safety with a platform for easy index finger operation, a RAM speedcatch for faster mag changes, Tech Sights for a more precise sighting system, a Red Star Arms trigger for a two stage trigger, and Ultimak gas tube for optics mounting, etc., etc...now I'm finding it better to adapt myself to the AK, rather than the AK to me. In adapting yourself to the gun, you have skills and muscle memory that translate to guns other than your own, and you avoid introducing things that can gum up the works and ruin the greatest advantage an AK can offer, its reliability.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

One basically indisputable advantage of the AR platform over the AK is the easy thumb safety system compared to that huge Industrial Age lever. Does anybody have any good ideas on how to put together or where to purchase a thumb safety switch for a Saiga? I know that Krebs has one on their KTR-08 rifle but they don't offer the part alone and there is no way I'm spending that much money on such a similar weapon to the one that I already have. I was thinking that it should be relatively easy to rig something up that could connect to the existing safety selector. If anyone has a KTR-08, I would love to see some pics of that safety switch from inside the receiver. Thanks everyone.

nope...wrong...try again...there is nothing better on an AR than a AK when the AK is used for what it was designed for...ie if its fucking balls froze to your leg cold outside and your weapon is frozen that big lever aids in moving it to fire

• Like 1

One basically indisputable advantage of the AR platform over the AK is the easy thumb safety system compared to that huge Industrial Age lever.

It is not indisputable. During a high adrenaline event like a firefight, I'd rather have the system that relies on gross motor control (big safety lever) than fine motor control (tiny button).

The thumb safety system I saw from Krebs on the KTR-08 still has the normal AK safety lever and a thumb safety switch (which is much much faster than removing your hand from the pistol grip) that both work as options. That way if for some reason the easy to reach thumb switch would jam up or freeze, you would still have the regular one as a backup. No one is talking about removing the old safety lever altogether. Though I would agree that if the addition of a thumb safety switch made the weapon's reliability questionable, then I would no longer entertain the idea. That is why I would like to see pics of the internals. It never hurts to always be on the lookout for better options and innovations.

There are a couple ways to mod an AK to use a thumb safety, but if you aren't modding your gun just for the fun of it then IMHO you'd be much better off buying a safety with an index finger tab. Just as fast, just as easy, cheaper, drops right in with no additional changes to the weapon.

(edited to add)

I just remembered something about the S308 (and S12/S20?) having a different height on the safety. Might need to have a tab welded to your current safety if you have one of those.

Edited by FluffRat

Who needs a safety??? ...I rarely engage mine. Even when loaded mine always is not engaged. Mine also always has a mag in of some sort. though not racked.

Yep. It seems to be a habit of a lot of American shooters to twiddle with the safety. Mine is rarely ever on. The "safeties" I use generally are 1) no round in the chamber, 2) finger outside the trigger guard, or 3) no mag in the gun.

A reliable safety is an essential part of any firearm. To use a gun without a safety, to me, would be like using a car without brakes. I'm surprised that so few people have seriously considered significant safety mods for the AK platform. The new safety levers from Krebs look very promising but I would like a thumb safety lever in addition to the trigger finger option. You can never have too many options as far as I'm concerned.

As 3-gun competitors, we like to have the platforms as close as possible so that we don't have to think about transitions too much. R&R does have a AR style safety in the patent process and it is currently Patent Pending. It needs to be installed my a competent gunsmith.

Doug

post-22191-12662859859648_thumb.jpg

Hey R&R Targets. I have a 7.62x39mm Saiga rifle. I really like your safety switch but I must know, can it work on my rifle? If not, what is the possibility of getting one that will? Also, I assume the standard safety lever is still there. I don't know because I can't see the other side of that gun. My dream configuration would be the R&R safety switch with the Krebs modified safety lever. Any chance of these two parts working together harmoniously?

Hey R&R Targets. I have a 7.62x39mm Saiga rifle. I really like your safety switch but I must know, can it work on my rifle? If not, what is the possibility of getting one that will? Also, I assume the standard safety lever is still there. I don't know because I can't see the other side of that gun. My dream configuration would be the R&R safety switch with the Krebs modified safety lever. Any chance of these two parts working together harmoniously?

Not much chance of having both systems work at the same time. The new AR safety will work on your gun. Contact Robert Wright at 503-551-7283.

Doug

A reliable safety is an essential part of any firearm. To use a gun without a safety, to me, would be like using a car without brakes.

tell that to a glock owner

Dude. Glocks have three safeties.

i dont consider passive safties a "saftey".... can you pick up the gun and pull the trigger without hitting a switch or pressing a button? yes!

Not much chance of having both systems work at the same time. The new AR safety will work on your gun. Contact Robert Wright at 503-551-7283.

Doug

I really like what I see here. How many new parts does this safety switch add to the gun? I'm not worried about 922® because these are obviously going to be U.S. parts even if they are categorized under the 922® list which I don't think they are. What I am concerned about is reliability. No insult intended. I'm sure your products are high quality. But, as we all know, the more moving parts in a thing, the more likely it becomes that something will break, wear out, or otherwise fail. Also, in regards to your previous response, am I to understand that this modification requires the standard safety lever to be removed from the weapon entirely? This is not necessarily a bad thing. I am just trying to understand how this works mechanically. Thanks for your response R&R.

Edited by son_of_liberty

Original 2 safety parts are removed and 3 parts reinstalled. This includes the lever on either side to make it ambidextros. Should be just as reliable as the original.

Doug

Is the right side the same as the current right side ?

Does it move when activated by the left side?

Nevermind, I just saw the pics on your site ...

Edited by Apache
  • 3 weeks later...

All these posts, and nobody has mentioned the new Saigas in the pipeline?

Y'all need to watch this, as it provides a factory answer to the "ergonomic safety" issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q69lNr4C25U

At around the 24 minute mark it shows the safety. Does anyone know if these will be available for retrofit on existing models? I want one.

Corbin

• 3 weeks later...