5 Round 308 mags?

• 3 months later...
I have seen some saiga's advertised as coming with a 5 rnd mag.  Haven't seen one so either it's something new or those dealers can't count. :ph34r:

I have been looking for some for over a year! So far, no luck. :cryss:

I do believe that most of those advertisers don't have a clue what a Saiga magazine will hold. My original magazine has a "8" engraved on it, but the rifle will jam if I try to put 8 in it. Apparently, for my Saiga the first round needs to be on the right side to chamber properly.

I tried putting dowels in it to reduce that capacity to 5, but that sucked. After the last shot it would jam on the dowel.

There must be an easier solution. I need to get cracking because hunting season is around the corner.

I was thinking about putting a large piece of heat shrink tubing on the follower. Maybe this might work?

Any help would be much appreciated! :unsure:

Try a thin wooden or thick plastic disk...

you will need to figure out the diameter... but you want to insert in inside the spring, between the follower and the floorplate... to that as the spring compresses it stays between the spring coils, and as the shells feed and it loosens, it is free to rotate with no edges to catch on the spring...

give that a whirl.....

:smoke:

I'll try that!

(Damn! Nice Picture! :kiss:)

Try a thin wooden or thick plastic disk...

you will need to figure out the diameter... but you want to insert in inside the spring, between the follower and the floorplate...  to that as the spring compresses it stays between the spring coils, and as the shells feed and it loosens, it is free to rotate with no edges to catch on the spring...

give that a whirl.....

Good luck with it... if ya get a working deal going... post some dimensions for others that may wish to do similar for hunting scenarios...

and...

(Damn! Nice Picture! )

I bet I know what YOU would like to see on "YOUR tombstone" ROFL!!

they were made from a sign stake bought from walmart.

it's 1 1/8 inch wide and 7/32 inch thick and about 24 inches long.

the thickness is perfect for fitting between the coils of the spring.

you'll have to shape it to fit the floorplate and the follower but the one pictured is right on for the shotgun mags.

it's best to fit them to each individual mag as i found that ones i made for one mag fit differently on other mags.

the ones i made slip down onto the floorplate snuggly and don't move under recoil. the narrow slot on the bottom stops the plug from leaning side to side and interfering with the spring.

there's tons of ways to do it. just have to crank up the ole grey matter!

post-987-1120887274_thumb.jpg

post-987-1120887292_thumb.jpg

i recently found a site that has saiga 100 mags in all 3 rifle calibers.

they are 4 round. maybe they will work in original saigas also.

that solves your legal hunting mag problems!

check the general disscussion forum for the site info.