scope side mount help!

I've got a Tromix built 8 inch shorty with mp5 sights with the built in rail on the side for mounting a scope/red dot. I'd like a quick detach mount that's tall enough to use the iron sights but still allows me to attach an Eotech red dot. Is there such an animal and does anyone have any suggestions for places to get one?

I've got a Tromix built 8 inch shorty with mp5 sights with the built in rail on the side for mounting a scope/red dot. I'd like a quick detach mount that's tall enough to use the iron sights but still allows me to attach an Eotech red dot. Is there such an animal and does anyone have any suggestions for places to get one?

I would think the BP-01 would work OK, but I wouldn't want to mount a red dot that high. Are you set on the Eotech, or would you consider another red dot solution? As was mentioned on another thread today, the PK-AS and PK-A are good red dots that sit offset of the bore to the left, allowing immediate use of irons. I'm about to put one on my rifle.

Jim

Edited by Jim Digriz

Is there a reason the other is better than the Eotech? I was going to go with the Eotech because I can get significant LE discount.

The Eotech is a higher quality optic overall, but it may not be the best for the use you intend. If you mount with a BP-01 and a AA-powered Eotech, you have added 1 1/2 to 2 pounds to your rifle, AND you have an optic mounted VERY high over the barrel, which makes sighting in at close ranges difficult. Something like a PK-AS would mount to the side, never need to be removed, be a bit lower, and weigh less.

On the other hand, you could get a low rise quick release mount for the Eotech, as here (link to specific place in video showing an example).

Edited by Jim Digriz

What is the mount used in that? I guess since it's quick release I could choose to not be so picky and have access to the iron sights.

He appears to be using the K-VAR KV-04S mount, which I have also used. If you are going to be frequently mounting and dismounting, it may become loose, requiring you to tighten to the next locking position (which may make it less of a "quick release" than a "pry release"); at least, that's what happened to me. I'm about to try the BP-02, a low rise mount which has a good reputation, but which is about 4 ounces heavier than the K-VAR mount. Some models of the BP-02 (apparently there is some variation based on manufacturer) are not perfectly centered over the barrel. But I doubt that matters much, especially on a shotgun.

anybody have any luck with these? Do these lie center over a saiga 12?

Not sure. It looks very similar to the KVar mount, though, which is centered (actually off by a hair or two, but close enough). My opinion though is that having it centered over the barrel is not important. What is a half inch to an inch offset on a shotgun? Close enough.

Hello

Never tried/experienced it myself, but there have been reports of FTE's with side mounts and Eotechs or other larger profile optics on S-12's. I know it defies logic, but.....I imagine a S17 would be no different.

I'm an advocate of the original Eotechs on the S12's ("Halo over Dot" reticle) but I prefer a "scout" style mount, further forward on the receiver/gas tube. Maybe check with Cobra, and a top rail for your S17. I believe there are some QD bases for the Eotech out there as well, LaRue, maybe?

Respectfully,

guido

• 4 months later...

guntec.jpg

I was considering picking one up for my eotech.

I bought one of these from carolina shooters supply and it broke on the front of the mount after first few shots of my md 20 drum... if you ask me it is a waste of money

guntec.jpg

I was considering picking one up for my eotech.

I bought one of these from carolina shooters supply and it broke on the front of the mount after first few shots of my md 20 drum... if you ask me it is a waste of money

I bought the same one from Arms of America, and I had the same issues. The quick release broke and the rail screws rattled out in one shooting session with my S308. I bought a Leapers peep-through railed dust cover for $15 from CTD as a temporary scope mount and it ended up being perfect aside from the rifle needing a cheek rest after. It was nice to be able to pop off the CAA cheek rest and look through/under the rail to use irons.

Generally side rail mounts made in Russia are solid and dependable, BP01 is a good mount and should work on an S12 just fine. For rifles most people prefer BP02 (low mount) or the pricey KV04 KVAR model, both types are rugged and well made. I haven't heard many good things about the US made copies though, so the issue you guys are having with them breaking may be due to lower construction quality. I don't think you'd have an issue with a Russian or KVAR model.

Also my personal experience with the PK-AS red dot is that while it's an outstanding optic for rifles, the recoil of the S12 really beats it down and it has a tendancy for the elevation and windage screws to work loose, which eventually causes the elevation shaft to pop out of rear of the mount making the optic body point at the ground. It's a peculiarity of it's design and not an engineering flaw, it's just not made to handle excessive recoil for long periods. It's also not that great for shooting clays because of the height over bore and the offset to the left. (At least for me, I know I'm 3x more accurate with irons on my S12 than I am with the PK-AS mounted)

I've also heard of EOTech's causing FTE's ... the hulls get hung up on the underside of the EOTech body because it's so wide, but perhaps with a high enough side rail mount that could be avoided.

If you look here you can see the PK-AS elevation shaft:

PK-AS_ElevationShaft.jpg