I like the various Hogue products I own especially the rubber overmold grips so when I saw AK furniture sets listed on their site I ordered "sight unseen" as there were no pics posted. I figured that if the furniture matched their existing AK pistol grips I was sure to like it.

Today Ken from Hogue Inc posted pics and details on another forum. Just thought I'd share for anyone who may be interested. I don't want to break any forum rules so I've edited the original post and removed pricing info so it doesn't read like an advertisement. (there are no links to mfg website, only to pics on imageshack)

Standard disclaimer; I'm not affiliated with Hogue in any way but certainly stoked to get this furniture for my Saiga restoration.

Mods, if this post violates the rules in any way please accept my apologies and delete.

About 90 days till completion, forarm furniture to go along with the Overmolded grip for the AK47

What you see here will be included in your kit. We have incorporated many features into our kit as standard equiptment.

Smooth

74004l03.jpg

74004l04.jpg

Decked out with the Picitiny mounts

74004l.jpg

74004l02.jpg

The lower section will be our Rubber Overmolded w/Cobblestone texture. The top portions will be hard plastic as well as the Picitiny rails. We will have a heat shield liner as well a metal retainer on the front of the forend for mounting.

dscf0017qw.jpg

The picitiny mounts are an option for those that want to mount the kitchen sink up front or you can simply fly under the radar and go smooth and simple. Alot of option in this kit.

dscf0021bh.jpg

dscf0016el.jpg

What you see here, for the AK-47/AK-74 Standard Chinese and Russian - Forend with OverMolded Rubber Gripping area only, Black, Retails for (check website for pricing)

dscf0018.jpg

AK-47/AK-74 Standard Chinese and Russian - Kit - OverMolded Grip and Forend, Black, Retails for (check website for pricing)

Also available, a kit for the longer YUGO Version AK47

Will also be made available. Same pricing across the board.

All colors currently offer in the Rubber grips, Black, OD Green, Desert Tan, Gillie Green and Gillie Tan will be offered in the Forends too.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those look fucking horrible.

+1

Sweet! I was totally wanting to do another saiga conversion in full wood. But I love the hogue stuff and I might have to try this out!

Posted Images

Same here, I've been really eager to do a traditional style conversion with nice wood furniture but I keep getting sidetracked by all of the options available. I couldn't resist this set either so I placed an order. It's getting ugly. If I were to do a conversion in each style I like I'd end up with a pile of Saigas. Not that there's anything wrong with that B)

• Like 1

To anyone who is using the Hogue AK pistol grip - is it a US made product?

Yes.

Woo hoo!!

Good answer RD. I was getting a little concerned. I ordered the whole set in desert tan. Now I just have to be patient for three months :rolleyes: I guess my restoration will have to take on a different look while waiting.

I posed the question in the thread at sigforum to Ken at Hogue about whether the parts are US made.

The Grips are US made parts and are tagged "US Made"

In regards to the forend parts, I asked one of the owners here if this will be a USA made part, He Said, "We have not discussed it but Yes, it would be in our best interest to mold these part in our Paso facility"

Tooling is currently being designed, the part you see above are rapid proto-types of the design thus far. I will know more next Tuesday as to a firm answer to the USA MAde brand for these parts and report back.

No doubt, if I here earlier I will report back sooner

Edited by photoshooter

That handguard is just fucking sad, sometimes I wonder what's going on in an engineer's mind to design something like that ...

I can see what they were going for. Its a mix of styles from the traditional 2 piece AK grip and the newer saiga HG styles.

Notice how the curve in the handguard closely resembles the grip in the stock saiga HG? give it a little more girth to have a feel like the Bulged wooden grips and voila!

saiga410_handguard.jpg

It might not look bad on the right rifle. I would want to build it with that stock in mind.

I don't know man, the Saiga lower is long and slim and not all that bad looking. The Hogue one looks more like the fat girl you might wake up with after a night of hard drinking, maybe cushy and fun to play with but you don't want to be seen with it ...

Looks like I'm going to be the guinea pig here since I already have a set on order.

I'm not into rails so mine will sport the simple look. I have to be honest I ordered this set before I saw any pics. For under $70 I was (and still am) willing to take the risk. I really like the feel of the Hogue rubber grips so I was very intrigued by the idea of having a handguard in the same material. I would have bought the pistol grip either way so if I end up tossing the handguards I'm only out about $45 or so.

The pics they posted are of a prototype. Sounds like the actual product doesn't exist yet and delivery isn't expected for three months or more. I'm willing to bet that the images we're seeing of the mounted furniture are poorly done Photoshopped composites. The fit seems a little awkward.

I guess we'll find out later...

I'm not terribly concerned either way.

• 2 weeks later...

I've cancelled my order for these because it will be months before they ship. I had high hopes for a product from Hogue but in cruising the various AK forums it seems like I may be the only person on the planet who was willing to buy.

Well in a thread over on the AK forum amidst the bashing, Patrick Hogue logged in. He seems grateful for the criticism, willing to tweak the design and has solicited more feedback. Just posting this for any of you who might want to voice your opinion directly to the man.

That would be a good thing.

Makes you wonder who they consulted to come up with that design.

Quote from Patrick on the AK Forum -

Ok, Ok, Ok, you got my attention. This forend design is a result of counseling with acquaintance AK enthusiasts and feedback during major firearm conventions eg: SHOT, NRA and no one seemed to speak of my prototype in this manner. Probably because it is easier to do it on-line rather than face-to-face.

I think he was a bit perturbed at first but he is actually listening to the guys that will actually be buying his product so he gets a big thumbs up from me. I think it's better that he listen to his customers than bring out a product and have it completely flop and then become discouraged from developing any further products for the AK platform ...

• 2 weeks later...

Not only did they listen but it looks like they moved pretty quickly. Ken from Hogue posted an update on the Sig forum in the rifle area (Hogue has always had a strong presence on the Sig forum).

update on Sig Forum

I don't work for Hogue, am not affiliated with Hogue, and after the bashing this furniture got on the first go-round I've been hiding from Hogue :)

After recieving some construtive criticison over our lower handguard we made some changes to the model and wanted to share them with you for more feed back. I will leave to originial models up on the opening page of this thread so you can see the changes made to the lower.

Here you will find the New and improved AK Hand guard. Here we maintained the styling of the 100 series and added some extras to made it a Hogue. We are still offering the rails, as an option in the kit.

akkitmedium.jpg

The heat shield you see will be a black metal to blend in. The lower will be rubber OverMolded, upper will be hard Plastic.

lowerheatshieldrailmedi.jpg

Clean Lines, No Rails,

norail.jpg

Side pic rails can be placed forward as you see them or to the rear. With the installation of the upper w/pic rail, plenty of clearance for un-obstructed iron site picture, in the event something happens with your optic,

railrear.jpg

Again, this is our latest proto-type that we feel meets what you are asking for, with a few extras. Let us know what you think. OH YA, these parts too will be tagged "US" made for compliance

Anytime considering rubber overmolded goodies for the front end, my number one question is, "how well does it handle heat?"

Look at the heat shield, its got venting too. How much sense does that make.

[/ Venting and heat shield help, but have limitations also. I've seen their overmolded forend on a m16 that you could slide the rubber sleeve off the tube underneath after getting it nice and toasty. The rubber lost it's ability to remain adheared .quote]

Edited by cscharlie

If you look closely the heat shield is not vented. There are vent holes in the handguard but not the heat shield.

Of course that still doesn't mean that the rubber overmold material will handle the heat but these folks have a pretty good track record so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

lowerheatshieldrailmedi.jpg

Edited by photoshooter
  • Like 1