Long past caring at this point. They make a great product (love their pistol grips), but I'm not gonna trust them anymore if what I want isn't in stock. Last time I tried communicating they just ensured me it would be shipping in a month.. same as the time before.. and that was a LONG time ago. Looking at my earlier posts I guess it was a year or so.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those look fucking horrible.

+1

Sweet! I was totally wanting to do another saiga conversion in full wood. But I love the hogue stuff and I might have to try this out!

Posted Images

Here's the message I just got from Hogue Customer Service:

They had hoped to have them ready after Shot Show, that is when they were introduced. And at the Shot Show they got a lot of feed back from Dealers with several suggestions on changes. So they took them back to the drawing board. They are still on backorder at this time. sorry. We are hoping to have them ready by June. Sorry for any inconvience this has caused. But they want to put out a perfect product the first time.

Only time will tell.

Edited by DrThunder88
  • 1 month later...

In the interest of not linking to a non-sponsor vendor, try looking for "Hogue Store".

I'm interested in hearing about how you like the forearm when you get it. The picture on the website makes it look like it has a plastic heatshield, which seems a bit odd. High-volume shooting isn't my thing, but it still seems a bit of a mismatch.

I've not heard back from them since my last contact in March. I don't know if they're unable to keep up with backlogged orders or if the OD furniture I ordered is not ready to go. They could just be sandbagging my order, hoping I'll cancel since the price seems to have gone up since I ordered.

Edited by DrThunder88

Sorry guys, I got drilled by lightning (or my house did) and internet only just got repaired. Thought I'd give some first thoughts on it (pictures to come later).

It is the loosest install of any handguard I've ever seen. The bottom handguard hardly fits into the receiver, but this seems intentional since once the handguard retainer is in place it is very snug (and as comfortable as you would expect a handguard from hogue to be, which is VERY). The heatshield design seems very good.

They send you two upper handguards (hadn't realized this at first) one with rail and one without. When I rotated mine onto the gas tube they were so loose that if I didn't hold them in place they simply rotated back around and fell off, but once the gas tube was in place the lower handguards do a good job of holding them in where they outa be- there is no side to side movement and a small amount of front to back. Something you will notice is the upper handguards are made of more solid plastic- not the traditional hogue stuff that the pistol grip/lower handguard are made of.

The side rail installation looks pretty solid (havn't done it). There are essentially two rubber plate thingies on either side of the handguard that simply push out (from the inside, must remove heat shield) to reveal holes where you then attach the siderail pieces with screws- looks as though it would be solid, and I think the rubber plate thingies are in there tough enough to hold up to firing if you choose not to install the rails (I didn't install them).

Basically- it's comfortable, good looking, and affordable. I'm happy to say I'd take it over Kvar any day. I DO NOT think the upper will be a solid mount for a red dot or whatever you have in mind. It sits on the gas tube so loosely I just don't see it working out..

Pictures to come later (today hopefully)- range test is a bit difficult atm and will probably come later in the week. I might even throw the upper with the rails on and do a red dot test for kicks but I don't expect it will work out. I'm mainly interested to see if the side plate covers will hold up since there is literally nothing but the friction between them and the handguards securing them, I expect they will.

Edited by volkov
  • Like 1

If one wanted to purchase one and modify it for the S-12, would it be possible? It looks like the heat shield would have to go, do you think that part is critical to the integrity of the lower handguard and/or do you think that heat will damage it?

Thanks!

Yeah, I've seen some melted handguards before- I think you'd have to bore it out and then probably still use the heat shield- it's aluminum and could maybe be bent to fit. Maybe you could get one off another handguard and then make it fit since the one that comes with it may be too small- just got a RRA AR handguard from MT predator that has a double heat shield- I bet one of those heatsheilds or something like that could be made to work on the S-12.

Holy moly! I started this thread in Feb 2010 and placed an order for a set of handguards. After a few weeks I got frustrated and got a refund. I guess I'm glad I did.

Volkov, you're a patient man for sure!

I think they look good and I'm still interested. However I'm interested in desert sand and who knows when other colors will be shipping.

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to mention that I got a call from Hogue on Friday confirming my order of a set of OD handguards and my billing info. The charge was on my card the same day. With any luck I should have my handguards this week.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So I'll bring this one back from the dead...now that the Hogues have been around for a while, any feedback on the upper rail? Is it steady enough for mounting optics or does it just look "cool"?

I'd like to build a Scout-style rifle on a Saiga .308, but I need a good place for the optics. I don't think the side-mount rail will be far enough forward, so the Hogue handguard with the upper Picatinny rail looked like a good option. I'm just curious what people's experience has been with the mount.

Thanks!

Jim

They look OK to me. The lines don't look right on the buttstock to me though. Also, I would expect hogue to integrate a recoil pad, since that is kinda their thing.