Low Budget bolt action build (pics)

Started with a Stevens 200 xp in 308. Even in stock for it shot 1 MOA at 100 with cheap Am Eagle Ammo. Now that the new stock and scope is installed I'm going to be moving to match grade ammo. I will keep you informed of how it shoots with the new stock.

Before pics (Krylon paint, home made cheek pad, cheap ammo sleeve, Stock Bushnell 3-9x40):

stevens200phase12.jpg

By mwroseberry, shot with FinePix F480 at 2010-01-17

After Pics (B&C Tactical Medalist, EGW 20MOA base, Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50, Eagle Stock pad):

bcandvortex.jpg

By mwroseberry at 2010-02-11

Totals:

Stevens 200 xp: $395.00 (including shipping and FFL)

B&C Tactical: $243.00 (Price to my door)

EGW Base: $45.00 (Delivered)

Vortex (used) $98.00 (Delivered)

Eagle pad (used) $40.00

Orig. Stock -$45.00

Total: $776.00

WTB: Shillen Barrel and my stick will be complete for now.

I couldn't be happier so far and I can't wait to get it out with match grade and hand load ammo and see what she can do.

Thanks,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

You may or may not already know this, but that trigger is adjustable, its not as finite as an Accutrigger, but it is adjustable. I adjusted the one on my pre accutrigger Savage down to about 4 pounds, and next to no movement.

You may or may not already know this, but that trigger is adjustable, its not as finite as an Accutrigger, but it is adjustable. I adjusted the one on my pre accutrigger Savage down to about 4 pounds, and next to no movement.

Yeah actually already adjusted the trigger down to 4lbs. Once I get my barrel I'm going to have it bedded by a local smith and I'm hoping it's a 1/2MOA gun.

We'll see.

Thanks,

Merritt

• 2 weeks later...

Some better pics with a SSS bolt handle

signaturenb.jpg

Also I'm working up hand loads for her using Hornady 308 match 168gr bullets.

I'll let you guys know how I do at the competition but without a spotter and without a ballistics chart for my weapon it may be interesting.

Thanks,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

What competition are you going to if you don't mind my asking?

http://www.raynersrange.com/schedule.htm

Then also multiple types at TVP

http://www.thundervalleyprecision.com/

And thanks I have something similar for a base but as you know when you start shooting out to 1k yards you need the data on your own rounds and barrel. Then I'm going to have to do it all over again when I get my new barrel.

Thanks,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

And thanks I have something similar for a base but as you know when you start shooting out to 1k yards you need the data on your own rounds and barrel. Then I'm going to have to do it all over again when I get my new barrel.

Yes and it's such a pain in the ass to do it. I don't own a spotting scope so I brought two cars and drove down to the target after every shot! I think next time I do it I'm gonna find a dusty hill and use a spotter to dial it in on the puffs of smoke.

How do you like that vortex? What model is it? Indy got me looking at them. Thinking about getting a 30mm 6-24 crossfire for my next rifle, possibly a Remmy SPS Tactical. We'll see though.

Mine is the 1" 6-24x50 mildot w/out the illum. I like it alot and if it ever screws up they replace it no questions asked. I haven't put alot of rounds down range with it yet so hopefully friday (pending weather) I'll test these hand loads and see how my stock and scope upgrade are and if they were worth the coin.

Thanks,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.