steel parts in Galil polymer mags

Besides the spring and the locking tab, do the Galil polymer mags have any other steel in them, such as in the feed lips?

I just took a Galil Orlite that I own apart and... only the spring is metal the rest is plastic.

Edited by pogy

Besides the spring and the locking tab, do the Galil polymer mags have any other steel in them, such as in the feed lips?

I just took mine apart and... only the spring is metal the rest is plastic.

The locking tab is definitely metal on mine.

If there is no metal in the feed lips, then it would probably be best not to leave these loaded, preferring the Circle 10s for self-defense duty.

P.S. By the way, are there any steel mags for the .223 that don't require lots of modification to work in a Saiga?

Edited by Jim Digriz

Yes: Galil Steel require no modification, just install the Dinzag bullet guide. I have steels for the 223 I just restored, and they are 8 for 8 as far as being a perfect fit and feed. A non-board sponsor has them for $20 each used.

PS, I like them so much, I just ordered three more!

Edited by imarangemaster

Yes: Galil Steel require no modification, just install the Dinzag bullet guide. I have steels for the 223 I just restored, and they are 8 for 8 as far as being a perfect fit and feed. A non-board sponsor has them for $20 each used.

You are the first person I've ever heard say this.

Most others report that lots of fiddling is necessary, and sometimes they never work at all.

Did you perhaps mean "polymer galil"?

As far as "how much metal", have any of you geniuses got refrigerator magnets?

Hellooooooo. . . .

• Like 1

PS, I like them so much, I just ordered three more!

My .223 Saiga would probably not fit with them, given my poor luck so far. It has been problematic with the Circle 10s. I had to not only get rid of the interdiction tab, I also had to file the support bar some to allow them to fit. But I'll probably pick up at least one to see how I fare. Could you PM me the non-board sponsor you spoke of please?

Are there any other steel .223 AK mags out there, besides the Galils?

Hellooooooo. . . .

Duh.

Only the locking tab and the spring are metal. Kind of disappointing - especially about the feed lips - but I guess these mags are good when weight is a consideration.

Most others report that lots of fiddling is necessary, and sometimes they never work at all.

No, Steel Galil, Nalioth, not polymer. 5 lock in nice and snug and 3 have about the same wiggle as a the standard milsurp in a standard 7.62x39. Galil Orlites required the top front rib trimmed, but that is not an issue on the steel. I hand fed (pull back hard and release and soft feed) 10 rounds through each. Haven't shot it yet because of my shoulder. Brian at Dinzag has improved his 223 guide since the first one I had for my 223 I started with in 2008. It is higher, more of a ramp, and sits perfectly aligned with with the front of the magazine. No problems with the cross brace in the frame interfering, either. Maybe I am just lucky. I am probably going to put a RAM ambidextrous speed catch on it and trim it a little long to make sure all are snug.

Maybe I am just lucky.

I'd say so, as you are the single exception to "they don't work/they don't work wel" that I've been seeing for years.

. . but again, don't we just love the diversity that flies off the assembly line?

Hellooooooo. . . .

This "genius" has a magnet and my polymer Galil Orlite has "no" metal but the spring!

Hellooooooo. . . .

Imarangemaster, this is why I was confused when you first mentioned the steel galils in a previous post. That is why I have always passed on steel galils. To many people saying they won't work. Could you take a pic of your bullet guide? I am wondering if I have the same type.

Nalioth, this is the internet, don't be expecting me to use my brain. :haha::lolol:

My Romanian steel only required the same mods as the Bulgarian 10's, but they fit better.

Edited by GregM1

the east german weigers and romanian copies as well as yugoslavian 556 mags are steel and dont require very much work to fit and feed.

Where can I get some?

Thanks.

I saw some romys at apex a while back, but I think they are out for now. You can also watch gunbroker or go to gun shows.

If you have changed the saiga by removing the interdiction. Tab for circle 10 or wiegers the Galil mags might not work because Galil mags don't have the raised area a the lug.

This doesn't matter with the poly galil mags.

If you have changed the saiga by removing the interdiction. Tab for circle 10 or wiegers the Galil mags might not work because Galil mags don't have the raised area a the lug.

This doesn't matter with the poly galil mags.

Interesting. When I put Galil Orlites in my first 223, I left the tab in, just as I did with these steel Galil mags. It would seem there would be too much forward/backward movement with teh steel without the tab there. I will have to check when I get home tomorrow.

Interesting. When I put Galil Orlites in my first 223, I left the tab in, just as I did with these steel Galil mags. It would seem there would be too much forward/backward movement with teh steel without the tab there. I will have to check when I get home tomorrow.

My Galil polymer mags were already loose before I made any change to the rifle. They were no looser after I removed the tab. The function very nicely in any event.

My Galil orlites have metal mesh in them (or wire, I have not melted one to find out). Are the poly mags something other then orlites?

I always assumed the Orlite Galil mags had wire mesh in the feed lips, because the Orlite AR mags had it...

My Galil orlites have metal mesh in them (or wire, I have not melted one to find out). Are the poly mags something other then orlites?

I always assumed the Orlite Galil mags had wire mesh in the feed lips, because the Orlite AR mags had it...

Maybe I should cut one of mine up to find out. Has anyone don't this?

Maybe I should cut one of mine up to find out. Has anyone don't this?

If you've got spare mags to destroy, please send them to me.

I know how to use a magnet, and can always use another magazine.

Thanks, but you already mentioned the magnet. It is impressive though that you know how to use one.

If the "mesh" is sufficiently thin, there might not be enough attraction to the magnet with the polymer in the way, so I don't consider anything other than the cut open method definitive. Not that I'm likely to do it without a larger supply of mags.

Thanks, but you already mentioned the magnet. It is impressive though that you know how to use one.

If the "mesh" is sufficiently thin, there might not be enough attraction to the magnet with the polymer in the way, so I don't consider anything other than the cut open method definitive. Not that I'm likely to do it without a larger supply of mags.

You obviously don't have a strong enough magnet. My offer stands.

ETA: If the mesh is "sufficiently thin", it won't be structurally sound anyway. . .

Edited by nalioth

After my idiot friend broke one of my orlites by inserting it incorrectly, and forcing it into my Galil I can clearly see exposed wires in the polymer. That being said, my 100lb.s rated magnet does not noticably attach to the mag body except on and near the mag catch tab. DSCF3075.jpg

Edited by tsc91