.308 versus 7.62x39 versus 5.56 versus 5.45 penetration through steel

I was getting ready to shoot some steel plates and compare the results but I think I just saved myself some time.

See post number 14

Click here to see

I started this post a few years ago with a 9mm from my Beretta vs bullet proof glass (BPG) from my apartment in the Middle East. I thought it was an interesting experiment. I updated it a few months ago with 1/4" steel plate and the same BPG vs a 5.56mm fired from my Bushmaster AR and a 7.62 NATO fired from my G-3, both at 100yds. Here a quick reminder of the results...

The hole on the left side near the middle is from a 7.62NATO, the one below it is a 7.62x39. The two dents to the right were made by the 5.56 and 5.45. Neither penetrated. As a side note, the 7.62NATO went through the 1/4 steel, through the 4x4 block behind it, through a 2x4 and buried itself in the send. Dayuuuum.

steelplate4rounds2.jpg

Here is the backside view.

steelplate4rds1.jpg

Wow, .308 and 7.62x39 went right through where the .223 or 5.45 could not.

I'm impressed with the added performance of steel plate penetration over .223 or 5.45 .

Edited by my762buzz

The suspect fired roughly thirty rounds of 7.62x39 from an AK at the officer. The car was totaled due to internal damage. Notice the bullets penetrate the steel hood even at a very shallow angle. Some of them are coming almost parallel to the hood. Also notice the tires on the right side are both flat. Looking at the picture it appears that the round that went through the headlight, through the wheel compartment and into the tire. The dowels are inserted to show trajectory. I suggest this experiment is not replicated.

post-21696-12661098951201_thumb.jpg

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

There is also a nice demonstration on Youtube done for a college project. The results are various 7.62x39 and .223 commercial rounds such as Bear and Wolf, FMJ, JHP, and JSP.

Brown bear x39 FMJ tumbles twice along a ~36" deep wound track

Wolf x39 JHP making some very nasty wounds:

125gr JSP x39 handload - Wolf/bear also offer similar loads

Saw those videos a few weeks ago. It's incredible how much shock the HP imparts to the gelatin. The penetration of the FMJ is ridiculous. The 7.62 round is definitely impressive.

I noticed that an expanding 7.62x389 bullet that stops in 1 ft of ballistic gel will pretty much rip a water jugg completely open because it stops and deposits energy.

This happens on the 4th round.

The bullets that pass through 2 ft of ballistic gel are not contained in 1 water jugg and do exit.

Maximum tissue disruption is going to take place within 16 inches or less of what ballistic gel simulates.

If it passes over 16 inches, that is a zone that is no longer useful in a typical terminal effects.

Edited by my762buzz

Nice post! I wonder how thick of a steel plate it would take to stop the 7.62 rounds? Sounds like making the homemade bulletproof car would be heavier than a hippo's mother in law!!

I got some 3/8 steel plate I will take out next time and see if my x39 will penetrate. I wish I had a 308 to join the party, but I'm sure my Mosin will go right through it. It almost penetrated 5/8 thick chromoly bar stock, and steel core 308 didn't do quite as much damage. I'm trying to get some armor plate to see what will go through that.