Galil Steel Magazines

STeel Galil Magazines  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many use steel Galil magazines

• I use them and they took little or no modification (except a bullet guide) .and work fine
    • I use them but had to make major modifications and they worked fine
    • I tried them but they didn
    • I use Galil Orlites and they work fine with little modification

• 4 months later...

Given that any Galil magazine, or Wieger or Circle 10, will require a built guide, haw many people have used Galil (steel) and what result.

I'm hoping these work. 50 round steel magazine = shooting nirvana. :killer:

The 50's are nice. You get alot of looks at the range.

• 5 months later...

You may not need to file at all. Mine fit/function just great, no mods other than the BG. Weigars and Circle 10's- (weigars for sure anyway) I may need to grind the interdiction tab.

You're going to love these.

You may not need to file at all. Mine fit/function just great, no mods other than the BG. Weigars and Circle 10's- (weigars for sure anyway) I may need to grind the interdiction tab.

You're going to love these.

Supposedly the 50 rounders differ slightly from the 35 rounders. One fellow reported that the 35 rounders worked for him, but the 50 rounders sat too low. Given the wide variation in Saiga .223s around the magwell, the only way to know is to get one and try it. Which I intend to do.

Be careful while grinding away the interdiction tab. Make sure not to grind it past flush - that is, don't make an indentation where there used to be a tab - because if you take it too far, you may find it difficult to use your Galil mags any longer. I stopped when I realized I was pressing it, not to mention that my continued fitting problems with the Circle 10s after removing the tab were really on account of other issues. Alas, my particular rifle simply does not like the black Circle 10s :cryss:, although it does like the inferior but still good clear ones. (That is, after I file the locking tab on them). I did get one of the black mags to work, but it fits very tightly and goes in slightly crooked if I insert it in a hurry.

Jim

Edited by Jim Digriz

Jim, once I find a winner, I tend to stick with it. I'm running Tapco Galils, and steel Galils now. I don't see myself paying for (overpriced, IMO) Weigars, or probably Circle 10's (I really don't like the "waffle" pattern... Probably I got soured on them by their crappy ProMag ripoffs).

In other words, I probably won't go grinding on my magwell anytime soon... Not while I seem to stumble daily on a new source of steel Galil milsurps for sub $20 apiece

I WILL, however, be happy to get my hands on some of the Orlites if I can find them at a competitive price. Until then, I'll use the Tapco's for my "plastic mags". They really do seem well made, solid, and the springs and followers seem equally well made. Not to mention the 922r "insurance".

Edited by bohound

Jim, once I find a winner, I tend to stick with it. I'm running Tapco Galils, and steel Galils now. I don't see myself paying for (overpriced, IMO) Weigars, or probably Circle 10's (I really don't like the "waffle" pattern... Probably I got soured on them by their crappy ProMag ripoffs).

In other words, I probably won't go grinding on my magwell anytime soon... Not while I seem to stumble daily on a new source of steel Galil milsurps for sub $20 apiece.

I don't blame you. I'm sorry that I modded my rifle for the Circle 10s, but only because it turned out so-so. The Orlites can be obtained for $20, if you want to try them. I see them as a nice balance between ruggedness, lightness, and capacity. Not to mention that my rifle likes them. :)

Edited by Jim Digriz

Now that you mention it, I do think I saw NIB Orlites for $20 at a non-sponsor site (four letters, starts with "C"... Something about "investments"?) That the source you're talking about? I have yet to do business with them, and I've read "mixed bag" regarding them on this and my other forum.

I will get one soon and try it out. I like polymer mags, and I certainly don't want to stick all my eggs in the same (steel mag) basket.

Some girls buy shoes every paycheck... I buy rifle magazines. I want to be the Imelda Marcos of Galil mags!

Now that you mention it, I do think I saw NIB Orlites for $20 at a non-sponsor site (four letters, starts with "C"... Something about "investments"?) That the source you're talking about? I have yet to do business with them, and I've read "mixed bag" regarding them on this and my other forum.

I saw them at Cheaperthandirt, where they were listed as used. I'm skeptical that the "NIB" ones are truly unused, but I'd be mildly excited if they were close to that. What's the name of the vendor?

I will get one soon and try it out. I like polymer mags

They're not all polymer. They've got steel reinforcement in the locking areas, as well as a thin steel mesh that seems to be in much of the top of the magazine under the surface. In spite of this, they weigh only about 4 ounces (roughly a quarter pound less than the steel ones).

Some girls buy shoes every paycheck... I buy rifle magazines. I want to be the Imelda Marcos of Galil mags!

;-)

I need to introduce you to my wife. "Don't you have enough magazines already?!?" Uh, nope.

Jim

Jim- I'll PM the name of the vendor. Don't want to step on any toes here. I'll actually go on my other computer, and raid my "Favorites" for the plethora of sources I've found so far. I don't have any issues with hoarding!

As for your wife: Tell her one can NEVER have too many mags or ammo to fill them with! I'm working on my first milk crate to sit next to the hubby's milk crates of AR and FAL mags. You should see our "SHTF" closet! Nothing but ammo, mags, food, and gear. On the surface, we look like you're average yankee family. I'd love to see our neighbor's facial reactions to viewing the inside of that closet, but it would defeat the purpose of "quietly preparing".

Hopefully we'll never have to empty that closet all at once.

I remember trying the steel 35 Galils about five years ago and deciding they sucked for use in the Saiga. They were loose as hell side too side and wobbled, and even worse the bolt would ride over the top of the round, creasing it in the process, because the mag sat to low. I really was hoping they would work but they did not.

I chose to stock up on the Bulgy circle tens because they work better and fit tighter than any other mag once you make a tiny adjustment to the front edges of the mag body at the top....or the trunnion if you don't want to mod your mags.

I have 2 pre ban Galil mags that I was able to acquire at a gun show recently. The one is a legit Israeli issue complete with hebrew letters, it also looks to be the more used one and it takes some effort to make that snap in, loaded or not. The other has english letters on it and seems to have been refinished in grey as opposed to the other ones dark black which wobbles about the same as my friend's x39 with standard steel mags. I have yet to install a bg though so I have no comments on feeding. If I didn't live in the grand state of NY, I'd have probably just gotten surefires. Sadly I don't just live here, I'm employed by them too.

Just received a Weiger mag in the mail from APEX today. It does appear to be in the like-new condition they described. The main thing I noticed is that it is VERY compact for a 30 round magazine. It won't fit in my Saiga without one modification. Will report back after I've modified it and tried it at the range.

Just got back from the range... "Function checking" Marion after my project (cutting the tang, installing internal block adapter). I was using steel Galil mags I had not fitted yet, or tested for function.

They all fed flawlessly. Not one FTF. Flawless.

One was even almost too tight in the magwell. No wobble at all.

It was a good day.

I have a couple of Circle 10's and an orlite which all seem to work fine. The Circle 10's required quite a bit modifying, and the orlite required barely any. However, I've been wanting to try either steel galil mag or a weiger. Since ya'll have seemed to have used them which one would be better in terms of least amount of modifications and the least amount of wobble? I would assume they vary given how different every saiga seems to be, but overrall which one would you be more likely to waste your money on trying out.

I have a couple of Circle 10's and an orlite which all seem to work fine. The Circle 10's required quite a bit modifying, and the orlite required barely any. However, I've been wanting to try either steel galil mag or a weiger. Since ya'll have seemed to have used them which one would be better in terms of least amount of modifications and the least amount of wobble? I would assume they vary given how different every saiga seems to be, but overrall which one would you be more likely to waste your money on trying out.

I received a Weiger last week. Since I've already removed my interdiction tab, I didn't have to do a lot to make it work. Some material needs to be removed from the front of the feed lips, and the locking tab had to be filed a bit. Here's the pic from the cross-conn site showing the material that must be removed from the feed lips:

Saiga223_mags03.jpg

There is a tiny bit of side to side wobble, but not bad at all.

The Galil steels needed no modification whatsoever, but they wobble more than I'd prefer. If you want easy and inexpensive, start here first. They sit too low in some Saigas, but many here have had success with them.

I received a Weiger last week. Since I've already removed my interdiction tab, I didn't have to do a lot to make it work. Some material needs to be removed from the front of the feed lips, and the locking tab had to be filed a bit. Here's the pic from the cross-conn site showing the material that must be removed from the feed lips:

Saiga223_mags03.jpg

There is a tiny bit of side to side wobble, but not bad at all.

The Galil steels needed no modification whatsoever, but they wobble more than I'd prefer. If you want easy and inexpensive, start here first. They sit too low in some Saigas, but many here have had success with them.

Thanks, I think I might try one of the steel galils. One more thing for ya'll though, have the Orlites completely dried up now? I got the one I have now about 5 months ago, but can't seem to find them anymore. I just figured those things are pretty much as good as gone unless ya'll know places that got em.

Thanks, I think I might try one of the steel galils. One more thing for ya'll though, have the Orlites completely dried up now? I got the one I have now about 5 months ago, but can't seem to find them anymore. I just figured those things are pretty much as good as gone unless ya'll know places that got em.

CTD has them for $20.

• 2 months later...

Rats, I got bamboozled by a zombie poll. That being said, steel 35-rounders will work in my rifle. At least half of them work all of the time, all of them work at least half the time. The ones that don't run 100% only fail when the bottom of the mag is pulled to its extreme leftward point of wobble.

Rats, I got bamboozled by a zombie poll. That being said, steel 35-rounders will work in my rifle. At least half of them work all of the time, all of them work at least half the time. The ones that don't run 100% only fail when the bottom of the mag is pulled to its extreme leftward point of wobble.

Hmm. Well, I really want metal magazines and they're $12.99 a piece plus s&h - so I'll order twice as many as I really need and then see if the half that don't always work can be filed to work! :donatello:

Dinzag bullet guides work best? I've got a rifle that left the factory in September 2010 with a round trunnion, if that matters.

• 2 weeks later...

My cousin picked up a 35 round steel Galil at a show for me awhile back, and I just got it from him. MAN, that thing locks up in there like it was especially built for my Saiga! Only thing is,l I'm gonna have to use a bullet guide to get it to feed. My question is, I've alreadt got several Surefires , and I was wondering, will they still work if I install one of Dinzags bullet guides to be able to use the Galils?

My cousin picked up a 35 round steel Galil at a show for me awhile back, and I just got it from him. MAN, that thing locks up in there like it was especially built for my Saiga! Only thing is,l I'm gonna have to use a bullet guide to get it to feed. My question is, I've alreadt got several Surefires , and I was wondering, will they still work if I install one of Dinzags bullet guides to be able to use the Galils?

Just try it. You can always cut off the integral bullet guide on the Surefires if they won't lock in.

Just try it. You can always cut off the integral bullet guide on the Surefires if they won't lock in.

Went to Dinzags site, and checked it out on the Surefire link..they can still be used, but you have to notch them out like the AK mags. I'm thinkin I might be installing my umpteenth bullet guide, cause, I surely do love me some Galil Steels!!!

• 7 months later...

Another + vote for the steels. I bought four of them from Numrich's. Four SA, one IMI. All snap in TIGHT. They all have worked 100% so far with CSS round trunnion bullet guide. I haven't tried wobbling the mags around while firing yet, as I don't grasp the front of the mag while firing.

Edited by mancat

Hmmm haven't tried these! Only problem is I live in NY.... Anybody have a line on some decent quality pre-ban Galil mags? It's my understanding that I can legally use magazines with a higher capacity than ten rounds if they are pre-ban. Is this correct? I definitely want to stay above board! Also, can anybody give a definite answer on whether or not I'd need a BG? I haven't done my conversion, but I plan to soon. Seems like installing the BG would be the hardest part for someone like me. That is, someone with no machining or Dremel experience....

Edited by Jericho_223