Galil Steel Magazines

STeel Galil Magazines  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many use steel Galil magazines

• I use them and they took little or no modification (except a bullet guide) .and work fine
    • I use them but had to make major modifications and they worked fine
    • I tried them but they didn
    • I use Galil Orlites and they work fine with little modification

Hmmm haven't tried these! Only problem is I live in NY.... Anybody have a line on some decent quality pre-ban Galil mags? It's my understanding that I can legally use magazines with a higher capacity than ten rounds if they are pre-ban. Is this correct? I definitely want to stay above board! Also, can anybody give a definite answer on whether or not I'd need a BG? I haven't done my conversion, but I plan to soon. Seems like installing the BG would be the hardest part for someone like me. That is, someone with no machining or Dremel experience....

I'm not sure if all Galil mags are pre-ban or not. A better solution would be the East German Weiger mags, which are still available at APEX. They are better quality, in virtually new condition - whereas many of the Galil steels are worn-out - and are by definition pre-ban (since East Germany ceased being a country before the ban went into effect).

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had no idea Galil mags would work so well. I hunted for more Weiger mags and they are pretty much dry. Ordered about 6 heavily used Galil mags from Apex and they all work flawlessly with bullet guide. No filing like on Weiger, Romy or Chinese mags. I also bought a 50 rounder and it works like a charm too.

I had no idea Galil mags would work so well. I hunted for more Weiger mags and they are pretty much dry. Ordered about 6 heavily used Galil mags from Apex and they all work flawlessly with bullet guide. No filing like on Weiger, Romy or Chinese mags. I also bought a 50 rounder and it works like a charm too.

Does your saiga have mag dimples or is it the smooth side? Also what bullet guide are you using? I tryed galil mags from apex in my saiga and I'm having troubles. The bullet guide I'm using is from CSS and is for a 5.45 saiga. Is there a big difference between a 5.45 and 5.56 bullet guide? Beryl mags seem to work alot better than these Galil's. I think the springs may need to be replaced, because the last few rounds are the ones that get jammed.

Does your saiga have mag dimples or is it the smooth side? Also what bullet guide are you using? I tryed galil mags from apex in my saiga and I'm having troubles. The bullet guide I'm using is from CSS and is for a 5.45 saiga. Is there a big difference between a 5.45 and 5.56 bullet guide? Beryl mags seem to work alot better than these Galil's. I think the springs may need to be replaced, because the last few rounds are the ones that get jammed.

I used a Dinzag flat trunnion .223 guide. The springs from Apex Galil do feel soft but I hav had zero feeding issues. I have left my receiver alone and only did the bullet guide installation. I left the tab alone in the magwell. I find it easier to modify mags instead. I don't know anything about the 5.45 guide. And my Saiga has dimples. I did take a tad off the bottom of the locking tap on a Chinese .223 magazine and a like 1.5 mm was enough to make it where the bolt won't pick up rounds from left side of magazine. I bent the lips out some and it works fine now. I guess you just have to find what yours likes. If Beryl mags work for you then that may be what you have to use. I thought I was going to be limited to strickly weiger mags until I discovered Galil's worked. Look around and maybe find some springs for the Galil mags. If you do, drop me a PM on the hookup.

jdub

FYI you can use Wolff extra-power AR mag springs, or any 40-round AR mag spring, in Galil mags. AR followers also work. I have one with a Wolff XP spring and Magpul anti-tilt follower in it, just to see if they were compatible - they are 100%. The Magpul follower eliminates the tendency of the Galil follower to tilt in the last few rounds, which may be your problem. Unfortunately it cuts the capacity to 34 rounds, and at about $10-15/ea, you can buy a lot of them.

Mags still sit too low in my rifle to be reliable - the bolt sometimes rides over the next round. If I built up the locking tabs on each mag with a bit of weld, they would probably sit high enough to work.

As it stands, my Saiga works better with Beryl mags, as well as US-made commercial mags such as Tapco Galil and Pro-Mag AK223 - both decent "range mags" even though they lack steel inserts.

Tapco's plastic mags are better made. I really wish they would clone the Bulgarian or Polish/Russian .233 design, because the Galils are hideous.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 2

FYI you can use Wolff extra-power AR mag springs, or any 40-round AR mag spring, in Galil mags. AR followers also work. I have one with a Wolff XP spring and Magpul anti-tilt follower in it, just to see if they were compatible - they are 100%. The Magpul follower eliminates the tendency of the Galil follower to tilt in the last few rounds, which may be your problem. Unfortunately it cuts the capacity to 34 rounds, and at about $10-15/ea, you can buy a lot of them.

Mags still sit too low in my rifle to be reliable - the bolt sometimes rides over the next round. If I built up the locking tabs on each mag with a bit of weld, they would probably sit high enough to work.

As it stands, my Saiga works better with Beryl mags, as well as US-made commercial mags such as Tapco Galil and Pro-Mag AK223 - both decent "range mags" even though they lack steel inserts.

Tapco's plastic mags are better made. I really wish they would clone the Bulgarian or Polish/Russian .233 design, because the Galils are hideous.

This seems to be what's happening with my Saiga. I have the flat bottom, with the CSS BG, it has dimples. I got some used Galils from Apex. I cleaned them and oiled them. I noticed the followers do tilt if you try. I tried out three of the mags today they all failed some of the time. Maybe the bolt is riding over the top because it is slamming into the side of the round as it is feeding. There is some forward and back movement in the Galils. Maybe if there was a little weld added to the rear locking lug on the bottom it would hold in tighter. The Circle 10s fit tight no issues after fitting it, the Promag with the tab broken off, tight with no issues either. I just hope I can get these Galils to work for me too.

Edited by Yellowlabsrule