How to paracord wrap a folding stock

I put this in the General section, but this may be a better spot for it obviously. Instructions and pictures on paracord wrapping a side-folder.

Last week I paracord wrapped my whole Romanian side-folder in green paracord. While at a gun show today, I saw some tan paracord (naive of me to think that they didn't make it in that color), and since I initially wanted that color furniture, I bought some. I hated having to take down all that hard work from the previous wrap, but figured I would go through the steps of how I wrap the stock since I had questions about it from a previous thread and since the thread I got it from online is no longer a working link. So here it is.

For those wondering about cord length to wrap the whole stock:

Long straight arm of stock: give yourself about 7 feet of cord

Upper limb after the fork: give yourself about 2 feet of cord

Lower limb w/ shoulder rest: another 7 feet of cord

These lengths with give you a little extra cord left over to make sure you didn't cut them too short to finish the job.

First, melt (lightly) one end of your cord and tape it to the underside of the stock. I say underside because it makes the finished product look better. If you can tape this semi-high (a little higher than I have it in this picture), it will make the last step easier.

photo-1.jpg?t=1266129256

Continue to run the cord beneath the stock and then loop it around the top arm of the fork in the stock.

photo1-1.jpg?t=1266129372

Now you'll want to start looping the cord around the stock. Make sure to keep the original run of cord beneath the stock in as straight a line as possible.

photo2.jpg?t=1266129502

Once I've made a few loops, I take the tape off of the original piece so that it doesn't cause problems later

photo3.jpg?t=1266129552

Keep running the loops up the stock. Keep them tight and close together. Now comes the tough part. Once you reached the end of the stock, you're going to have to loosen the cord. Before doing this, put a piece of tape around the initial end that you started with (you'll be able to tell because this part is bigger than the rest).

photo4.jpg?t=1266129577

After placing that piece of tape, you can begin loosening the those top loops. Begin working your free end under the loops. I use the back side of the scissors in the picture.

photo5.jpg?t=1266129692

photo6.jpg?t=1266129846

This particular part of the process is a pain. It's a lot of untwisting, tightening by twisting, and simultaneously working the free end down, pulling it tight so that you have nice tight loops for the full length of the stock. The ultimate goal is to have an end sticking out of the loop right about where the original end began. This is so the the 2 ends basically abut and give a nice uniform look. Once you have everything tight, you want to cut the free end that you have been pulling on so that it's able to meet the original end. Lightly melt it with a lighter, and tuck it under the loop right above the loop covering the original end. The result should be a uniform, tight wrapping.

photo7.jpg?t=1266130402

I apologize for the poor pic quality, and I'd like to thank whichever guy it was out there who made the original thread that helped me do this, but somehow had his thread deleted (or at least the link doesn't work anymore).

• 4 weeks later...